These Christmas M&M cookie bars are gooey, soft loaded with M&M’s and chocolate chips. So easy to make and perfect for a cookie exchange or holiday party!
I love to bake all types of Christmas cookies during the holidays. There’s just something about baking on a cold winter day that is so cozy and comforting! These M&M bars are always on my list to bake, as well as ginger molasses cookies, snickerdoodles, rolo pretzel sandwiches and sugar cookies.
I’m excited to share these delicious M&M cookie bars with you today! They make the perfect treat for a cookie exchange or holiday party. They’re gooey, festive and filled with chocolate chips AND M&M’s! Plus they’re so easy to make, too!
Cookie bars have to be one of my favorites. I’ve made so many different versions, like sugar cookie bars, congo cookie bars, Oreo cookie bars and more. I have to say, this recipe is one of my favorites! I finally perfected them just in time for the holidays and trust me, you want to make them. They are so delicious!
Ingredients for M&M bars
I love that these Christmas cookie bars take only a few ingredients to make. At the beginning of the holiday season, I’ll typically stock up on Christmas colored M&Ms for holiday baking. I usually have all of the other ingredients on hand, which makes this an easy go-to Christmas cookie recipe.
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Chocolate chips
- Baking soda
How to make M&M cookie bars
Scroll down for the printable M&M cookie bars recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a 9×13″ pan with foil.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars with a mixer for 1 minute. Add eggs and vanilla and mix.
- Then add flour, baking soda and salt and stir.
- Fold in M&M’s and chocolate chips and add dough to pan. Place a few extra M&M’s and chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is barely golden brown. Allow to cool completely, then remove and slice.
TIP: For thinner M&M bars, use a 15×10″ pan instead. Or you can use the dough to make M&M Christmas cookies instead.
Quick tips for M&M bars
- You can make these M&M bars anytime throughout the year! Just pick up colored M&M’s that match the occasion or holiday.
- Don’t have M&M’s on hand? Replace M&M’s with 1 cup chocolate chips.
- To top with glaze, combine 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk. Drizzle over M&M bars once cooled.
- Make sure to line your baking pan with foil! This really helps the Christmas cookie bars to cook evenly.
- M&M bars will keep at room temperature stored in an airtight container for about 3 days, or about 5 days in the fridge.
- To freeze, wrap in foil then place in an airtight container. They will last in the freezer for a couple of months.
More M&M desserts:
M&M Cookie Bars Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (plus more for tops if desired)
- 1 cup M&M’s (plus more for tops if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. For thick bars, line a 9x13" pan with foil. For thinner bars, line a 15x10" pan. Leave an over hang for easy removal. Then spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugars for 1 minute. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and stir mixture just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s (saving about 1/4 cup for the top).
- Scoop cookie dough into the pan. Then place extra M&M’s and chocolate chips on the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is barely golden brown. Allow to cool completely, then remove and slice.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.