Thick and chewy M&M Christmas cookies with crispy edges, a soft center and bursting with chocolate flavor. These are the ultimate cookie recipe to make this holiday season!
If these aren’t on your list of Christmas cookies to bake this season, you must add them! Not only do they taste absolutely delicious, but they look so pretty too! The pop of color from the M&M’s make them the perfect dessert to add to your holiday cookie platter.
We love to make my famous M&M cookies throughout the year, but especially love making them during the holidays. There’s just something about the festive holiday M&M’s that makes them that much more delicious. Every bite is perfection! These M&M Christmas cookies are perfect to make for Santa or bring to a cookie exchange or holiday party. You can even gift the cookie mix in a jar with a cute holiday tag and ribbon. They are always the first dessert gone and get rave reviews by those who try them. Trust me, you want this recipe in your collection!
How to make M&M Christmas cookies
- DOUGH. Start by creaming the butter and sugars together with an electric mixer until creamy and fluffy. Then mix in the eggs and vanilla just until combined. Mix in the dry ingredients, then fold in the chocolate. Chill the dough for 15-30 minutes if you have the time.
- SCOOP. Use a large cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto a lined baking sheet. Place about 2 inches apart, so the cookies have enough room to spread a little in the oven.
- BAKE. Bake at 375°F for about 7 to 10 minutes. The edges should be barely golden brown when you remove them. Let set on the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Chill the dough. To achieve a super thick and delicious texture, chill your dough for 15 to 30 minutes before baking.
- Chocolate chips. Use a mix of semi-sweet and white chocolate chips to add even more flavor.
- Extras on top. For an extra pretty cookie, add a few more M&M’s on top of the cookie dough balls before baking. Alternatively, you can also press more M&M’s on top of the baked cookies as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Don’t overbake. Remove from the oven when the edges are barely golden (but the center is still soft). They may look a little underdone, but they’ll continue to set as they cool. This will give them the perfect soft and delicious centers!
- Turn into bars. Make M&M cookie bars by scooping the dough into a 9×13″ pan, then baking for 30 to 35 minutes. Make sure to let them cool completely before slicing!
Freezing the dough
Prepare dough as directed, then use a large cookie scoop to scoop onto a baking sheet. Then flash freeze the cookie dough balls in the freezer for about 30 minutes. This hardens the dough so they won’t stick together in the freezer. Once hardened, place in a freezer bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, place on a cookie sheet and set on top of the oven while it warms. Then bake according to directions. They may need to bake for a few extra minutes, so be sure to keep a close eye on them!
More festive Christmas cookies:
M&M Christmas Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (more if desired)
- 1 cup Christmas M&M’s (more for tops if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with beaters. Mix for 1-2 minutes, or until creamy and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix just until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s. Refrigerate dough for 15 to 30 minutes if time allows.
- Using a large cookie scoop (about 3 Tablespoons), scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place any extra chocolate chips or M&M’s on the top of the cookies if desired.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the edges are barely golden brown. Allow cookies to set on pan for 2-3 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack.
- Store once cooled in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Looking for even more Christmas cookies? Check out these delicious recipes from some of my friends!