These are the BEST M&M Cookies! Super soft, chewy, crispy edges and full of chocolate. These M&M cookies taste like they came straight from a bakery!
Table of Contents
Favorite M&M Cookies
Looking for a delicious and nostalgic cookie recipe? Look no further than these mouthwatering M&M cookies! It’s no secret that I love chocolate chip cookies. Or really any cookie recipe for that matter. :)
With their warm, chewy texture and classic chocolatey goodness, they’re sure to take you back to your childhood. But don’t settle for just any recipe – try out my perfected version, which has a thick and chewy texture, soft interior, and crisp edges.
Seriously, these chocolate chip M&M cookies are absolutely incredible and one of the best cookies out there! I also can’t resist these chocolate M&M cookies, mini m&m cookies and my M&M cookie cake!
Below are the ingredients need to make this easy M&M cookie recipe. Many of these ingredients are pantry staples that you already have on hand.
Scroll down for the printable M&M cookie recipe and video tutorial.
- Unsalted butter: I prefer to use unsalted to control the amount of salt.
- Light brown sugar: I love mixing brown sugar into my cookies for the perfect flavor.
- Granulated sugar: What makes these cookies so sweet.
- Eggs: I prefer using large eggs. Make sure they’re fresh.
- Vanilla: I like to use a pure vanilla extract to bring out the flavor.
- All-purpose flour: I use non bleached, but use whatever you have on hand.
- Baking soda: This is what will help the cookies to rise.
- Salt: Fine sea salt is my preference, but table salt will do.
- Chocolate chips: Semi-sweet are my personal favorite for this recipe.
- M&M’s: I prefer to use the regular m&m candies, unless there is a holiday coming up.
How To Make M&M Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars for 1 minute in a large bowl using the paddle attachment. Add in eggs and vanilla and mix.
- Next add flour, baking soda and salt and whisk until combined. Fold in both chocolate chips and M&M’s to the flour mixture. Refrigerate dough for 15-30 minutes. By chilling the dough it helps them to not fall flat.
- Scoop cookie dough with large cookie scoop onto baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Place extra M&M’s on top.
- Bake M&M cookies for 8-10 minutes, until tops are barely golden. Let set on pan for 2 minutes, then move to cooling wire racks.
Before you get started baking, check out my tips below. Follow these simple tricks and you’ll have the BEST M&M cookies in no time!
- Use a silpat baking mat for easy cleanup and no sticking.
- Refrigerate the dough, to help them stay thick and chewy.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop dough onto baking sheet. This ensures the M&M cookies are all equal size.
- Add extra M&M’s on top once the dough balls have been formed.
- Bake at 375°F to get them crispy around the edges, yet keeping them soft inside.
- Allow the M&M cookies to set on the pan for 2-3 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes you can use regular or mini baking m&m’s. They both work great!
The outside shell prevents them from melting into the cookie.
You may have not added enough flour. If your dough is too sticky, add a couple Tablespoons more flour. To make them not flat you can also refrigerate the dough for 1 hour. The oven could also be too hot. If your oven runs hot, bump it down 15 degrees.
Can You Freeze M&M Cookies?
Yes, these M&M cookies freeze very well. You can either freeze the baked M&M cookies or freeze the cookie dough. If freezing baked cookies, simply let cool completely then add to ziptop bag or freezer container. Store in freezer for about 2-3 months.
If you’d rather freeze the M&M cookie dough, simply scoop out dough and add to your prepared baking sheet. Freeze for about 30 minutes, or until cookie dough balls have hardened. Then add to a ziptop bag and store in the freezer for about 2-3 months.
When ready to eat, add cookie dough balls to baking sheet while oven warms. The M&M cookies will most likely need to bake a few minutes longer than usual since the dough was frozen.
More M&M Desserts:
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
M&M Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter , just barely softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar , packed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&M’s , plus more for tops if desired
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. In a large bowl, using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugars for 1 minute. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and stir mix just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s. Refrigerate dough for 15 to 60 minutes (up to 24 hours) if time allows.
- Using a large cookie scoop (about 3 Tablespoons), scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place extra M&M’s on the top of the cookies if desired.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the edges are barely golden brown. Allow cookies to set on pan for 2 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
M&M cookies variations
We love to make different variations of these M&M cookies for all of the holidays. For some reason, the holiday M&M’s just taste better. IS IT JUST ME?! I feel like I’ve had a conversation about this with a few friends and we all agree.
We made these 4th of July cookies with red white and blue M&M’s and everyone loved them! You can also make holiday variations for Valentine’s Day, Easter, St. Patrick’s Day, Halloween and Christmas M&M cookies. Sometimes I like to turn them into festive M&M cookie bars or even make a layered M&M cookie mix in a jar to give as a holiday gift!
So many people loved them and asked for the recipe!
The best M&M cookies I’ve ever had! We made them today, and all of us agreed they were the best M&M cookies we have ever had.
Wow that is great to hear! I am glad that you love them as much as we do. Thanks for the 5 stars!
We made them today. Didn’t have chocolate chips so used two cups M&M’s. Also made smaller cookies so we could have larger number. They were easy to make and delicious!
That sounds perfect! Thank you for sharing and your great review! I am so glad that you all loved them.
Make these, make these now!
Fantastic recipe! I’ve made them more than once. Sometimes I’ve added a little extra vanilla. These cookies get rave reviews whenever I take them to an event and I’m always passing along the recipe.
My kids and their friends loved it!
My men love your recipe, now I have to make them a lot even my coworkers love them.
These are the best ones I’ve ever made and such a simple recipe. I often use Sally’s Baking Addiction website for baked goods but came across this recipe before our family’s annual Christmas cookie exchange in Dec 2022. WOW these were a HIT! I made more for a trip we made shortly after and they were gobbled up! I like how the dough doesn’t need to be refrigerated for hours on end too. Thanks!
This is my go-to cookie recipe. I make all kinds of variations, but I stick to the basic recipe. My favorite is swapping the m&ms for butterscotch chips. THIS IS LITERALLY THE BEST COOKIE RECIPE EVER.