These peanut butter M&M cookies are super soft, thick and bursting with chocolate. They are the perfect cookie recipe for any peanut butter lover!
I am still swooning over these cookies. They taste like a mix between a peanut butter blossom and my favorite M&M cookies. They have the perfect ratio of peanut butter to chocolate. Just take one bite and you’ll be in heaven!
For these cookies, I took the base of the dough from my favorite peanut butter blossoms. Then I added in chocolate chips and M&M’s. The combination was perfect and will give you a little bit of chocolate in every bite. They are soft on the inside, with perfectly crisp outside edges. They remind me of bakery style cookies because they’re so thick and delicious. Trust me, you’re going to want to give this recipe a try!
How to make peanut butter M&M cookies
- MIX. Cream together the butter and sugars, then add the peanut butter and beat until smooth. Next mix in the egg and vanilla. Then mix in the flour, baking soda and salt until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s until they are fully incorporated into the dough.
- SCOOP. Use a large cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto a lined baking sheet. Make sure to leave about 2 inches apart so that the cookies have enough room to spread in the oven.
- BAKE. Bake at 350°F for about 10 to 15 minutes. You want the edges and bottoms to be lightly golden. If you want extra colorful and pretty cookies, add a few more M&M’s on top of each cookie about halfway through baking. Then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make sure to use regular creamy peanut butter (such as Jiff or Skippy). Do not use the natural or crunchy type for this recipe (you will not get the same soft textured cookie).
- You can use regular or peanut butter M&M’s for these cookies. However, I personally like to use regular M&M’s as it adds more chocolate.
- If you’d like to press the M&M’s into the tops of the cookies, add them about halfway into the baking time (this will allow for the cookie to spread out slightly and the M&M’s to stay where you place them).
- Swap in holiday M&M’s to make them festive. Use orange, brown and yellow for fall and red and green for Christmas.
Storing and freezing
- Storing: These cookies will keep at room temperature in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 days.
- Freezing baked cookies: Make sure the cookies have cooled completely, then add to a freezer bag or container. They will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Freezing the dough: Scoop the dough onto a baking sheet, then freeze for about 30 minutes to harden the dough balls. Then transfer to a freezer bag or container for up to 3 months. Let the dough thaw on a baking sheet while the oven warms, then bake according to directions (you may need to add a few more minutes onto the baking time).
More dessert recipes you’ll love:
- 3-ingredient peanut butter cookies
- M&M brownies
- Monster cookies
- M&M cookie bars
- Chocolate M&M cookies
Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (slightly softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (more if desired)
- 1 cup M&M's (plain or peanut butter)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a baking mat and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars. Add peanut butter and blend until smooth. Add egg and vanilla.
- Next add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and M&M's.
- Scoop cookie dough onto pan using a large cookie scoop. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden on the bottom and edges. Add additional M&M's on top half way through baking if desired.
- Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.