These peanut butter M&M cookies are super soft, thick and bursting with chocolate and peanut butter flavor. They are the perfect peanut butter cookie recipe.
Table of Contents
Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
For these cookies, I took the base of the dough from my favorite peanut butter blossoms and inspiration from my peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. They are soft and chewy on the inside, with perfectly crisp outside edges.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Peanut butter: I prefer to use a creamy peanut butter (such as Jiff or Skippy). Do not use the natural or crunchy type for this recipe (you will not get the same soft textured cookie).
- M&M’s: You can use regular or peanut butter M&M’s for extra peanut butter flavor. However, I personally like to use regular M&M’s as it adds more chocolate. Making mini M&M cookies is always an option, too!
- Chocolate chips: I prefer to use a semi-sweet chocolate chip, but you’re welcome to use milk chocolate.
How to make Peanut Butter Cookies
- MIX. In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars, then add the peanut butter and beat until smooth. Next mix in the egg and vanilla. Then mix in the dry ingredients flour, baking soda and salt until combined.
- FOLD. Add in the chocolate chips and M&M’s. Fold in with a spoon until they are fully incorporated into the dough.
- SCOOP. Use a large cookie scoop to scoop the cookie dough balls onto a lined baking sheet. Make sure to leave about 2 inches apart so that the cookies have enough room to spread in the oven.
- BAKE. Bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes. You want the edges and bottoms to be lightly golden. If you want extra colorful and pretty cookies, add a few more M&M’s on top of each cookie about halfway through baking. Remove from cookie sheet to a cooling wire rack to cool completely.
- Follow my tips for measuring flour to make sure you don’t add too much. If you add more, your cookies will be dry and not a smooth texture.
- If you’d like to press the M&M’s into the tops of the cookies, add them about halfway into the baking time (this will allow for the cookie to spread out slightly and the M&M’s to stay where you place them).
- Swap in holiday M&M flavors to make them festive. Use orange, brown and yellow for fall and red and green for Christmas.
If your cookies are dry and falling apart, you most likely added too much flour or over baked them.
Chilling the dough in the refrigerator for an hour will help the cookies not spread.
You shouldn’t use natural peanut butter in cookies because the oils are more separated creating a thinner consistency. It will effect the final texture of your cookie.
Storing and Freezing
- Storing: These cookies will keep at room temperature in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 days.
- Freezing baked cookies: Make sure the cookies have cooled completely, then add to a freezer bag or container. They will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Freezing the cookie dough: Scoop the dough onto a baking sheet, then freeze for about 30 minutes to harden the dough balls. Then transfer to a freezer bag or container for up to 3 months. Let the dough thaw on a baking sheet while the oven warms, then bake according to directions (you may need to add a few more minutes onto the baking time).
More M&M Recipes You’ll Love
Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter (slightly softened)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar , packed
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (more if desired)
- 1 cup M&M's (plain or peanut butter)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a baking mat and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars. Add peanut butter and blend until smooth. Add egg and vanilla.
- Next add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and M&M's.
- Scoop cookie dough onto pan using a large cookie scoop. Press additional chocolate chips of M&M's on top if desired. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden on the bottom and edges.
- Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!