Learn how to toast coconut with these simple instructions! Easily made in the oven or on the stove in less than 15 minutes. Perfect to add to your favorite desserts or snacks!
Table of Contents
Homemade Toasted Coconut
Toasted coconut is so yummy! I sometimes just snack on it plain, but it also tastes amazing served over your favorite desserts. I love it on top of coconut cream pie, carrot cake, lemon coconut dessert lasagna, key lime pie and 7-layer bars.
Toasted coconut is SO easy and only takes a few minutes to make. When you toast the coconut, it really brings out the flavor and leaves you with a delicious and nutty, caramelized taste. I often snack on it plain, but it also tastes great served over your favorite desserts, snacks or side dishes like coconut rice.
Baking the coconut is my favorite way to toast it, but you can also easily toast it on the stove as well. Both turn out perfectly crispy and golden brown. Sweetened coconut (my favorite) takes an extra minute or two more to toast than unsweetened, but adds the perfect sweet flavor. So easy and yummy!
How do you Sweeten Raw Coconut?
I like to use sweetened shredded coconut when toasting it. That way it’s already sweet prior to toasting and tastes delicious! If you’d like to try sweetening it yourself, simply add about 4 teaspoons of sugar into 1/4 cup hot water and stir until dissolved. Then add in your unsweetened coconut and let the mixture absorb. Then spread out on a baking sheet to dry for about 30 minutes.
How to Store
To store, place in an airtight container at room temperature for about 1 month. I like to store mine in a mason jar. I personally wouldn’t recommend refrigerating or freezing it, as it could become soggy and chewy.
Ways to Use It
- Cakes: So many cake recipes taste great with toasted coconut on top. A few of my favorites are carrot cake, tres leche cake, German chocolate cake, chocolate turtle poke cake and Texas sheet cake.
- Cookies: Try adding to coconut macaroons, almond joy cookies, coconut caramel cookies and German chocolate cookies.
- Pies: It’s such a nice addition to pie! It tastes delicious as a topping on coconut cream pie, lemon meringue pie, key lime pie, banana cream pie or chocolate silk pie.
- Ice Cream: Coconut and ice cream is a great pair! Some of my favorite ice creams to top with are vanilla, chocolate or berry.
- Snacks: I love using it in snacks throughout the day! It tastes great in granola, granola bars, parfaits, energy balls and breakfast cookies. I sometimes even top my smoothies or overnight oats with a sprinkle.
What to Use Coconut on
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spread coconut evenly over the pan. Bake for 3 minutes and then stir. Bake an additional 2-3 minutes, or until it has turned golden brown. Watch carefully, as it can brown quickly.
- Alternatively, place the coconut in a skillet and cook over medium-low heat until golden, stirring frequently (about 3-5 minutes).
- Serve on top of your favorite desserts or snacks.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!