Learn how to toast coconut with these simple instructions! Easily made in the oven or on the stove in less than 15 minutes. Perfect to add to your favorite desserts or snacks!
Toasted coconut is so yummy! I sometimes just snack on it plain, but it also tastes amazing served over your favorite desserts. I love it on top of coconut cream pie, carrot cake, lemon coconut dessert lasagna, key lime pie and 7-layer bars.
Toasted coconut is SO easy and only takes a few minutes to make. When you toast the coconut, it really brings out the flavor and leaves you with a delicious and nutty, caramelized taste. I often snack on it plain, but it also tastes great served over your favorite desserts or snacks!
Baking the coconut is my favorite way to toast it, but you can also easily toast it on the stove as well. Both turn out perfectly crispy and golden brown. Sweetened coconut (my favorite) takes an extra minute or two more to toast than unsweetened, but adds the perfect sweet flavor. So easy and yummy!
How to toast coconut
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Evenly spread coconut over pan and bake for 3 minutes. Stir then bake additional 2-3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Alternatively, add coconut to skillet and cook over medium-low heat until golden, stirring frequently (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add to your favorite desserts or snacks and enjoy!
How do you sweeten raw coconut?
When making toasted coconut, I like to use sweetened shredded coconut. That way it’s already sweet prior to toasting and tastes delicious! If you’d like to try sweetening it yourself, simply add about 4 teaspoons of sugar into 1/4 cup hot water and stir until dissolved. Then add in your unsweetened coconut and let the mixture absorb. Then spread out on a baking sheet to dry for about 30 minutes.
How to store
Toasted coconut flakes can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for about 1 month. I like to store mine in a mason jar. I personally wouldn’t recommend refrigerating or freezing it, as it could become soggy and chewy.
Ways to use it
Snacks: I love using it in snacks throughout the day! It tastes great in granola, granola bars, parfaits, energy balls and breakfast cookies. I sometimes even top my smoothies or overnight oats with a sprinkle.
Toasted Coconut Recipe
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spread coconut evenly over the pan. Bake for 3 minutes and then stir. Bake an additional 2-3 minutes, or until it has turned golden brown. Watch carefully, as it can brown quickly.
- Alternatively, place the coconut in a skillet and cook over medium-low heat until golden, stirring frequently (about 3-5 minutes).
- Serve on top of your favorite desserts or snacks.