If you’re looking for the best chocolate cupcake recipe that is moist, rich, and chocolatey, try this easy chocolate cupcake that is packed with chocolate flavor – it’s the ultimate chocolate lover’s cupcake and will become your new favorite.
Table of Contents
- Easy Chocolate Cake Mix Cupcakes
- Why This Recipe Works
- Ingredients Needed
- How to Make Chocolate Cupcakes With Cake Mix
- Expert Tips for the Best Chocolate Cupcakes
- Recipe FAQs
- Frosting for Chocolate Cupcakes
- Favorite Piping Tip
- 5 star review
- Storing + Freezing
- More Chocolate Desserts
- Best Chocolate Cupcake Recipe Printable Recipe
Easy Chocolate Cake Mix Cupcakes
Although I love a classic vanilla cupcake, nothing beats chocolate in my opinion. Between the super soft texture, bold rich flavor, and bites of semi-sweet chocolate chips, these cake mix cupcakes are mouth-watering!
My husband has claimed (on more than one occasion) that these are the BEST chocolate cupcakes he’s ever had. My friend brought them over a couple of months ago and we literally both gasped! They were so soft, moist, and full of chocolate goodness.
I LOVE chocolate, but for some reason, I have never been a huge cake lover. These chocolate cupcakes definitely changed my mind though. The secret ingredients are the pudding mix and sour cream!
Why This Recipe Works
Make these delicious chocolate cupcakes to perfection using a simple cake mix that has all the goods to taste its best! Chocolate cupcakes are perfect for all occasions and these ones are the best because of their moist and fluffy texture!
- An easy shortcut. From scratch is great when you have the time, but this easy shortcut is a quicker alternative and just as delicious. No one will guess you made the best chocolate cupcakes from a cake mix!
- Great for all occasions. Serve these at birthday parties, baby showers, family gatherings, holiday celebrations and so much more. These chocolate cupcakes are so versatile and can be decorated for any occasion.
- Perfect texture. A few secret ingredients are all that’s needed to make this the best chocolate cupcake recipe that’s super moist, tender, and fluffy. They have the absolute perfect texture every time!
These cupcakes are so easy and flavorful…you would never know that they are made with a box cake mix base! No fancy ingredients like buttermilk or unsweetened cocoa powder needed. The secret ingredients that make them SO delicious are the dry pudding mix and sour cream…they both help to make them so moist and soft!
Find the full printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
- Cake mix: Grab a box of your favorite Devil’s Food cake mix. A classic chocolate cake mix would also work, although Devil’s Food has a bolder, more rich chocolate flavor.
- Chocolate pudding: You’ll need a box of instant chocolate pudding. No need to make the actual pudding…you’ll just use the dry mix. The pudding mix helps to make the texture irresistibly soft.
- Chocolate chips: Semi-sweet is my favorite, but milk or dark chocolate chips also taste great.
- Eggs: You will need 4 large eggs. If you are using medium-sized eggs, add in an additional egg to make it five medium eggs instead of four.
- Oil: I use canola oil, but vegetable oil will also work if you only have that on hand. I like to use oil instead of butter because it has a higher fat content which makes for a moister texture.
- Sour cream: This is one of the secret ingredients in this recipe. The acidity in the sour cream adds more moisture and makes it super delicious.
How to Make Chocolate Cupcakes With Cake Mix
Take your boxed cake mix to the next level and create the best chocolate cupcakes with minimal ingredients! Skip the all purpose flour, baking powder, or sugar for these cupcakes! It is all in a box ready to be combined in a few simple steps!
- Mix. Using a hand mixer combine cake mix and pudding mix in a large bowl. Then add in the chocolate chips (this prevents them from sinking) and stir until combined. Next whisk in the wet ingredients (eggs, canola oil, and hot water) with the dry ingredients. Then stir in sour cream.
- Fill. Pour the batter into a muffin tin (this recipe will make enough to fill 2 tins) with cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool on cooling rack. Wait to frost until cooled completely.
Expert Tips for the Best Chocolate Cupcakes
These helpful tips are the best to make a delicious chocolate cupcake! Make them mini, avoid sinking, and even make them ahead of time. Follow these steps to create the best chocolate cupcakes yet!
- Avoid sinking. The culprit behind sinking cupcakes is overmixing the batter (which lets in too much air). Make sure to stir the mixture just until combined. You can also try mixing the chocolate chips in with a little bit of flour so they don’t sink to the bottom.
- Let cool before frosting. Make sure to cool your cupcakes completely before frosting. Sometimes even though the tops have cooled, the insides are still a bit warm. It usually takes about an hour for them to cool completely. If you frost them while they are still warm, the frosting can melt and won’t hold its shape.
- Mini cupcakes. You can use a mini muffin pan if you prefer. I would check them after 10 minutes and do the toothpick test until they seem done.
- Make ahead. If making this recipe in advance, hold off on adding the frosting. Make according to directions, let cool then store overnight at room temperature in an airtight container. You can also make your frosting ahead of time and store it in a zip-top bag in the fridge. Then frost the next day when ready to enjoy.
Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way full. If you fill any higher, the cupcakes will overflow and have muffin tops.
In this case, the secret to good cupcakes that are moist and dense is both the sour cream and pudding mix. They add moisture to the crumb, while still remaining soft and tender. Adding these two ingredients is the perfect way to level up your box of cake mix!
Overmixing the batter can cause a dry texture, so make sure to stir lightly just until all of the ingredients are combined.
In general, yes they are the mostly same. Both contain similar ingredients such as flour, sugar, eggs, and oil or butter, however, the major difference is the type of pan used and the total baking time required. Cakes are baked in a cake pan, while cupcakes often bake quickly in a muffin pan.
One box of cake mix in this recipe will make 24 cupcakes.
I haven’t tried this myself, although others have had success converting it into a chocolate cake recipe. I’d recommend baking in a cake pan at 350°F for about 25 to 30 minutes. Check for doneness at the 25-minute mark, then bake another 5 or so minutes if needed.
Frosting for Chocolate Cupcakes
My favorite frosting to use is my classic buttercream. The creamy and sweet flavors pair wonderfully with the rich chocolate cupcake flavor. There are plenty of other frostings that taste delicious too. Even a simple chocolate ganache would taste incredible.
- Classic buttercream: This buttercream frosting is my absolute favorite! It tastes amazing and holds up so well. A simple vanilla frosting also works great.
- Chocolate buttercream: If you are a chocolate lover, use this chocolate buttercream for double the flavor. Chocolate frosting is a double win!
- Cream cheese frosting: The tang in the cream cheese frosting is the perfect complement to the rich chocolate flavor. The sour cream frosting is another tangy option.
- Strawberry buttercream: Add a fruity component by using strawberry buttercream. It’s bursting with fresh strawberry flavor.
- Marshmallow frosting: For a super fluffy and delicious top, try this easy marshmallow frosting.
- Peanut butter frosting: Peanut butter and chocolate are a match made in heaven. Try this peanut butter frosting that I used when making chocolate peanut butter cupcakes.
5 star review
These ARE the best chocolate cupcakes ever, and the frosting is fantastic. I’ve served these three times now, and EVERYONE raves and wants the recipe. I’ll always use this recipe whenever I need a chocolate fix for myself of anyone I love!– Francie
Storing + Freezing
If you have frosted your cupcakes, you’ll need to store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If unfrosted, they can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. Both ways should keep for about 1 to 2 days. If freezing, I like to freeze the cupcakes separately from the frosting. You can place the frosting in a ziptop bag and freeze it too.
Love chocolate desserts? This chocolate poke cake is a must-make!
More Chocolate DessertsBrowse all
Best Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- 15 ounce box devil’s food cake mix
- 3.9 ounce box instant chocolate pudding , dry
- 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips , I prefer semi-sweet
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup warm water
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line cupcake liners in 2 muffin pans.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix and chocolate pudding. Add the chocolate chips in now (this will prevent them from sinking) and stir until combined. Next mix in the eggs, canola oil, and water. Then stir in the sour cream.
- Pour cupcake mixture into the liners (about 3/4 the way full). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean. Do not overcook.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Wait to frost until cooled completely. Then frost as desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!