The BEST Chocolate Cupcakes Ever – Super soft, rich and topped with a lush buttercream frosting! You won’t believe how easy these chocolate cupcakes are to make!
If you’re a chocolate lover, you’re going to swoon over these homemade chocolate cupcakes! They are rich, moist and have an amazing chocolate flavor. Seriously the best cupcake recipe! You’ll also love my chocolate fudge caramel brownies, chocolate turtle poke coke, triple chocolate chip cookies and better than anything chocolate cake.
My husband has claimed (on more than one occasion) that these are the BEST chocolate cupcakes he’s ever had. My friend brought them over a couple months ago and we literally both gasped! They were so soft and full of chocolate goodness, we couldn’t just stop at one! Since that day, we’ve made this chocolate cupcake recipe about 3 times and plan to make it many more!
And to tell you the truth, I’m usually not a chocolate cake fan. I mean, I LOVE chocolate, but for some reason I’m just not a huge cake lover. These homemade chocolate cupcakes definitely changed my mind though! I’m telling you… they are that good. The secret ingredients are the pudding mix and sour cream! The flavor is fantastic.
Ingredients for chocolate cupcake recipe
These homemade chocolate cupcakes are so easy and flavorful…you would never know that they are made with a cake mix base! No fancy ingredients like buttermilk or cocoa powder needed. And the secret ingredients that make these cupcakes SO delicious are the dry pudding mix and sour cream…they both help to make them so moist and soft!
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- Chocolate Chips
- Canola Oil
- Warm Water
- Sour Cream
How to make chocolate cupcakes
Scroll down for the printable chocolate cupcake recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°and line cupcake liners in 2 muffin pans.
- Combine cake mix and pudding mix in large bowl. Then add in the chocolate chips (this prevents them from sinking) and stir until combined.
- Next mix in the eggs, canola oil and water. Then stir in sour cream.
- Pour cupcake mixture into liners (about 3/4 full) and bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on cooling rack. Wait to frost chocolate cupcakes until cooled completely.
Frosting for chocolate cupcakes
My favorite frosting to use when making chocolate cupcakes is my classic buttercream frosting. The creamy and sweet flavors from the buttercream pairs wonderfully with the rich chocolate cupcake flavor. There are plenty of other frostings that taste delicious though…below are a few of my go-to’s.
- Classic buttercream: This buttercream frosting is my absolute favorite! It tastes amazing & holds up so well on the chocolate cupcakes.
- Chocolate buttercream: If you’re a big fan of chocolate, you’ll love using this chocolate buttercream. It is seriously so divine!
- Cream cheese frosting: The flavor in cream cheese frosting in incredible. It’s rich, creamy and pairs perfectly with chocolate cupcakes.
- Peanut butter frosting: Peanut butter & chocolate make the best combo! And adding peanut butter frosting to these chocolate cupcakes is a match made in heaven.
- Caramel frosting: Adding caramel frosting is such a fun twist! I love to use it when making my Cadbury chocolate cupcakes for Easter.
How long before I can frost cupcakes?
You definitely need to let your chocolate cupcakes cool completely prior to frosting them. I usually let them cool for about an hour just to be safe. Sometimes even though the tops of the chocolate cupcakes have cooled off, the insides are still a bit warm. If you frost the chocolate cupcakes while they are still warm, the frosting can melt. So it’s important that the cupcakes are completely cooled so that the frosting holds it’s shape!
Frequently asked questions for chocolate cupcakes
What makes a cupcake moist? In order to make moist chocolate cupcakes, it’s important to use the oil, sour cream and pudding mix. I like to use oil instead of butter, because it has a higher fat content which makes for a moister cupcake. Also the acidity in the sour cream adds more moisture, while the pudding mix helps to make the texture of the cupcakes irresistibly soft.
How to fix cupcakes that sink? If your chocolate cupcakes sink, they may have been over-mixed. You want to stir until the batter is combined, however do not overmix because it can cause too much air to get into the batter. You could also try mixing the chocolate chips in with a little bit of flour to help them not sink.
How do you store cupcakes after baking them? If you’ve frosted your chocolate cupcakes, you’ll need to store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Unfrosted cupcakes can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. Both should keep for about 1 to 2 days.
Can I make cupcakes a day ahead? Sure! If making this chocolate cupcake recipe ahead of time, hold off on adding the frosting. Make cupcakes according to directions, let cool then store overnight at room temp in an airtight container. You can also make your frosting ahead of time and store in a zip top bag in the fridge. Then frost chocolate cupcakes the next day when ready to enjoy!
Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- 15 ounce box devil's food cake mix
- 3.9 ounce box instant chocolate pudding (dry)
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line cupcake liners in 2 muffin pans.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix and chocolate pudding. Add the chocolate chips in now (this will prevent them from sinking) and stir until combined.
- Next mix in the eggs, canola oil and water. Then stir in the sour cream.
- Pour cupcake mixture into the liners (about 3/4 the way full). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean. Do not overcook.
- Remove from oven and allow chocolate cupcakes to cool on a cooling rack. Wait to frost until cooled completely.