Perfectly tender, flavorful and fresh green beans that make an amazing side dish recipe. Learn how to cook them 2 ways – sautéed or roasted in the oven.
Table of Contents
Easy Green Bean Recipe
These are such a classic and easy side dish recipe that pair perfectly with almost any main dish. They’re one veggie that everyone in my family loves, as well as parmesan roasted broccoli and roasted potatoes and carrots.
Sometimes it’s nice to take it back to the basics, and that’s exactly what this green bean recipe does! It’s a classic, easy and delicious side dish that I’m sure many of you make at home. My favorite way to cook them is either to sauté or roast them in the oven. They turn out perfectly tender, flavorful and taste so fresh.
There are plenty of ways to season them based on preference. One variation that we love is to add a fresh squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkle 1/4 cup parmesan cheese on top. It adds the perfect twist!
- Lemon juice: Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top once they’re done cooking for a zesty flavor.
- Crushed red pepper flakes: Add some red pepper flakes if you like a little heat.
- Onion: Feel free to add in some minced onion with the garlic if you have some on hand.
- Garlic: Adding fresh garlic or garlic powder adds a great flavor.
- Salt and pepper: Keep it simple and season with S&P. It adds plenty of flavor and showcases their natural freshness.
How to Cook Green Beans
I love them sautéed, however roasted are equally as delicious and a bit more crispy! I’ve included both methods below, so feel free to cook however you prefer. Make sure to serve fresh while hot for the best taste!
- Sautéed. In a large skillet, add green beans and cover with 1/3 cup water. Cover skillet and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Then remove lid and let water evaporate. Add butter (or olive oil), minced garlic and lemon pepper, then cook additional 3 to 5 minutes until tender. S&P to taste.
- Roasted. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place green beans on pan and drizzle with oil and sprinkle with S&P. Roast until edges are slightly brown, about 20-25 minutes.
Do you Have to Cut the Ends off?
I recommend trimming them prior to cooking them. The ends are a bit tough and fibrous, so trimming helps to create a tender and delicious green bean. I typically cut about 1/4 of an inch off of the ends.
Favorites to Serve Alongside
- Steak: Steak cooks up nice and juicy in the oven. It’s rich flavor pairs perfectly with the fresh, crisp green beans.
- Chicken: This is our favorite marinade for grilling chicken. So easy and delicious!
- Ham: This ham recipe is cooked in the slow cooker with the best glaze. Perfect for holidays!
- Baked ziti: We love pasta and this dish is one of our favorites. It’s full of flavor and extra filling.
- Pork tenderloin: The pork is tender and juicy and takes less than 30 minutes to make.
How Long do they Last?
If you have them sitting in the fridge, they’ll stay fresh for about a week. They make a great vegetable to keep on hand to whip up throughout the week. Once sautéed or roasted, they’ll keep in the fridge for about 3 days. Just make sure to store them in an airtight container.
More Veggie Recipes to Try
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- 1 pound fresh green beans , trimmed
- 1-2 Tablespoons butter , or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper
S&P, to taste
- Place green beans in a large skillet and cover with 1/3 cup water. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove lid and let water evaporate.
- Add the butter or olive oil, minced garlic and lemon pepper. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes, or until tender. Salt and pepper, to taste.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Made these for the family and it was a hit!
This is a favorite side dish of mine but I love the addition of parmesan cheese! Delish!
Such a simple and delightful dish! I love using green beans in so many different dishes, too!
My kid loves green beans. I need to make this for him!
Looks so beautiful even though it’s so simple – such a perfect side to balance out the heavy meal!
These would be so great for snacking! Thanks for sharing!
Perfect easy, fresh veggie side dish! Love it!
Green beans are always a hit in our house! So quick and easy.
These are the best green beans!! Only recipe I use to make green beans…so delicious!
I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed them! Thanks for leaving a comment and review Jennifer! :)
I could eat green beans every other day and never tire of them – they’re just so good! Love the tips and techniques!