Glazed Carrots – Perfectly caramelized carrots that are crispy and have a hint of sweetness. Require only 3 simple ingredients and can be made on the stove, oven or crockpot!
These brown sugar carrots are so easy to make and are a delicious side dish for any dinner. We love making roasted parmesan carrots and roasted vegetables as well, but when I’m craving something a little sweeter, these candied carrots hit the spot.
They’re not too sweet, but have the perfect amount of glaze on them to cut the cravings. I love how the butter and brown sugar caramelizes together and then turns a little crisp in the oven. So delicious!
Ingredients for caramelized carrots
You only need 3 simple ingredients (that you most likely have on hand) to make this glazed carrots recipe. Check them out below.
- Carrots (sliced or baby carrots)
- Brown sugar
How to make glazed carrots
These candied carrots can be made with any type of carrot, but I prefer to peel large carrots and slice them into about 1/2″ by 3″ pieces. You can also use baby carrots, but they will need a little longer to cook. If I’m using baby carrots for this glazed carrots recipe, I’ll usually slice them in half.
- Add 1/2 inch water to an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Boil carrots for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and then add in the butter and sugar. Stir until coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place carrots in the oven and roast 10-15 minutes or until fork tender and the sugar has caramelized. Alternatively, you can keep cooking them in the pan until tender.
Crockpot glazed carrots
These glazed carrots can also be made super easily in the crockpot. Simply place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours. They won’t start caramelizing in the crockpot…so if you want them to caramelize, roast in the oven for an additional 5 minutes at 425°F.
What goes with glazed carrots
These caramelized carrots make the perfect side dish! They’re so simple and come together quickly. They pair perfectly with meats, seafood and other comforting side dishes. We especially like to make them for the holidays, such as Christmas dinner or Easter brunch.
Glazed Carrots Recipe
- 2 pounds sliced carrots (can also use baby carrots)
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar (or honey)
S&P to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add 1/2 inch water to an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots and boil for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the water and then add in the butter and sugar. Stir until coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place carrots in the oven and roast 10-15 minutes or until fork tender and the sugar has caramelized. Alternatively, you can keep cooking in the pan until tender.
- Keep warm in skillet until ready to serve. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with fresh herbs if desired.