Perfectly caramelized glazed carrots that are crispy and have a hint of sweetness. Require only 3 simple ingredients and can be made on the stove, oven or crockpot!
We eat lots of roasted veggies at our house, especially during busy weeknights. These brown sugar carrots are a staple recipe, as well as parmesan broccoli, roasted asparagus and baked sweet potato fries.
These glazed carrots are so easy to make and are a delicious side dish for any dinner. We love making roasted parmesan carrots or slow cooker carrots as well, but when I’m craving something a little sweeter, these candied carrots hit the spot.
They’re not too sweet, but have the perfect amount of glaze on them to cut the cravings. I love how the butter and brown sugar caramelizes together and then turns a little crisp in the oven. So delicious!
3 simple ingredients
- Carrots (sliced or baby carrots)
- Brown sugar
How to make glazed carrots
- BOIL. Add 1/2 inch water to an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Boil carrots for 3 to 5 minutes.
- COAT. Drain the water and then add in the butter and sugar. Stir until coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- ROAST. Place carrots in the oven and roast 10-15 minutes, or until fork tender and the sugar has caramelized. Alternatively, you can keep cooking them in the pan until tender.
These glazed carrots can also be made super easily in the crockpot. Simply place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours. They won’t start caramelizing in the crockpot…so if you want them to caramelize, roast in the oven for an additional 5 minutes at 425°F.
- Type of carrot – This recipe can be made with any type of carrot, but I prefer to peel large carrots and slice them into about 1/2″ by 3″ pieces. You can also use baby carrots, but they will need a little longer to cook. If I’m using baby carrots, I’ll usually slice them in half.
- Healthier swap – For a healthier alternative, you can sub honey for brown sugar.
- Make ahead – I prefer the crockpot cooking method if I want to make these carrots ahead of time. Add all ingredients to crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Then when ready to serve, quickly roast them in the oven for about 5-10 minutes so that they get caramelized.
What goes with glazed carrots?
These caramelized carrots make the perfect side dish! They’re so simple and come together quickly. They pair perfectly with any of the main dishes below. We especially like to make them for the holidays, such as Thanksgiving, Christmas dinner or Easter brunch.
Other roasted veggie recipes:
- Oven roasted vegetables
- Maple roasted vegetables
- Oven roasted sweet potatoes
- Parmesan roasted cauliflower
- Roasted butternut squash
Glazed Carrots Recipe
- 2 pounds sliced carrots (can also use baby carrots)
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar (or honey)
S&P to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add 1/2 inch water to an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots and boil for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the water and then add in the butter and sugar. Stir until coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place carrots in the oven and roast 10-15 minutes or until fork tender and the sugar has caramelized. Alternatively, you can keep cooking in the pan until tender.
- Keep warm in skillet until ready to serve. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with fresh herbs if desired.