These Christmas Grinch cookies are another fun version of cake mix cookies! Turn them green and add a heart to make them look like the “Grinch.“
Grinch Cookies with Cake Mix
Christmas cookies are the best out there if you ask me. I love when neighbors bring goody plates around the holidays. It’s always fun to see what treats will be shared.
I made this fun version of my favorite cake mix cookie recipe with The Grinch in mind. It’s our absolute favorite Christmas movie. Adding the green food coloring and adorable heart sprinkle is the perfect touch. They are soft and chewy with that cake flavor everyone loves. Both kids and adults will adore them!
Tips for the Best Grinch Cookies
- Cake mix cookie dough can be a bit sticky, so it helps to refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes. This makes it easier to shape and roll the cookie dough balls in confectioners sugar.
- Start small with the food coloring, then add more as needed to reach the perfect shade of green. Once you add it, you’re stuck with that color!
- You don’t want the outside of the cookies to get brown, so make sure not to over bake them in the oven. Once the centers are set, that’s when they’re ready. They should be soft and chewy in texture.
- Let the cookies cool completely before adding the red heart sprinkles on top with the gel food coloring.
Feel free to make this recipe your own! Use white cake mix instead of vanilla, skip the powdered sugar coating or even mix white chocolate chips into the dough. For decorating, swap the sprinkles with a red hots or red M&M’s. You can even use this pistachio cookie recipe as the base instead if you’d like!
Storing + Freezing
These cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container or bag for about 3 to 4 days. They also freeze beautifully as well and will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months. I like to flash freeze them on a baking sheet first until they harden, then add them to a freezer bag and store (the cookies won’t stick together this way). Let them thaw on the counter for about 2 hours prior to enjoying.
5 star review
These are absolutely amazing! We made them for every holiday and were a hit! Honestly my new favorite cookie!– Emily
More Christmas Cookies:
- Ginger Melted Snowman Cookies
- Cornflake Wreaths
- M&M Christmas Cookies
- Spritz Cookies
- Christmas Sugar Cookies
- 15.25 ounce box vanilla cake mix (dry mix)
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- green food coloring
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- heart sprinkles , or red hots candies
- green decorating gel or frosting
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a mixing bowl, place the dry cake mix, butter, eggs and oil. Mix until well combined.
- Add green food coloring until desired color of green is reached.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and cornstarch. Roll dough into balls and into powdered sugar mixture and place onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until the centers have set, making sure not to let the cookies brown. Remove from oven and let sit 2 minutes before placing on wire rack to cool completely.
- Using green decorating gel or frosting, place a dot onto each cookie and add a heart sprinkle or red hot candy.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!