Cake mix cookie bars are an easy dessert recipe with spectacular results! Moist, chewy, and decadent bars loaded with gooey chocolate chips all made with just 5 ingredients! The perfect quick dessert for those irresistible cookie cravings!
Easy Cake Mix Cookie Bars
If you’ve never made cake mix cookies you’ve been missing out on the opportunity to make life in the kitchen so much easier! Chocolate chip cookies bars with cake mix is an easier version of homemade chocolate chip cookie bars because using a boxed cake mix takes over several single ingredients. Fewer steps with equally yummy results!
Cake mix cookie bars have a similar consistency to the cake but with the added butter and eggs and spreading it out thinly to bake, they end up like a giant cookie! They’re soft and moist with added chocolate chips that melt and get all gooey.
It’s a super simple dessert to throw together anytime, whether your kids want a little something sweet after dinner with a cold glass of milk, or served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for movie night!
How Are Cookie Bars Made With Cake Mix?
- Combine cake mix with remaining ingredients (except the chocolate chips) and mix into a batter.
- Fold in chocolate chips. It will now resemble more cookie dough than a cake batter.
- Transfer dough to a parchment-lined 9×13 baking dish. Using another piece of parchment paper, press down to flatten.
- Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top then bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow it to cool before slicing and serving.
Tips for Making Cake Mix Bars
- You can substitute canola oil for melted butter if preferred.
- Bring your eggs to room temperature beforehand for even baking.
- If you don’t have parchment paper on hand, be sure to use any nonstick cooking spray. When it comes time to slice the bars you don’t want them to stick!
- Do not overmix the mixture. Gently fold in the chocolate chips then leave it alone. This way it won’t become too dense and overworked.
- Adding a few extra chocolate chips on top before baking is nice for the presentation. No one would blame you if you just ate them instead ;)
Swap the box of cake mix for a different flavor and use your favorite add-ins!
- Red velvet and white chocolate chips. Perfect for Valentine’s Day!
- Devil’s food cake. Double the chocolate with chocolate cake and chocolate chips!
- M&Ms cookie bars. Use a yellow or white cake mix and toss in some colorful M&M candies.
- Other add-ins to try are crushed candy bars, nuts, peanut butter chips, and butterscotch chips.
Keep any leftover bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Other Easy Dessert Recipes:
- M&M Cookie Bars
- Rolo Cookies with Cake Mix
- Cheesecake Cookie Bars
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
Cake Mix Cookie Bars
- 15.25 ounce box yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup butter , melted (can sub for canola oil)
- 2 large eggs , whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips , more for top if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13" pan with parchment paper and set aside. Combine the cake mix, butter, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir together until combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix just until combined.
- Scoop the dough into the prepared baking mat. Press down evenly with a piece of parchment paper, or the palm of your hand. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. You don’t want them to brown.
- Allow to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Then remove and slice into squares. Store in a covered container for up to 3 days.
- Red velvet white chocolate chip: If you’re a fan of red velvet cake, you’re going to love this version! Use a red velvet cake mix and mix in 1 cup of white chocolate chips.
- Devil’s food cake: If you’re a chocolate lover, use a chocolate cake mix.
- M&M: You can use white or yellow cake mix for this variation. Mix in 1 cup M&M’s.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!