Soft and cakey red velvet gooey butter cookies covered in powdered sugar. This will become one of your favorite holiday cookie recipes to make each season!
I always look forward to making Christmas cookies during the holidays. I love how festive and delicious they are. These red velvet cake cookies are a favorite, as well as ginger molasses cookies and snickerdoodles.
With the holiday season upon us, I’m ready to start baking all my favorite treats. Cookies are usually on everyone’s holiday baking list, so I thought I’d share one of my family’s top picks…red velvet gooey butter cookies!
Want to know the best part about this cookie recipe? It’s made with red velvet cake mix! I’m no stranger to cake mix cookies and love to experiment with different variations. But I have to say, these gooey red velvet cake mix cookies are the best yet. They are so soft and moist, with amazing flavor.
Plus they’re super festive with the bold red Christmas color and white powdered sugar coating. Now you have gorgeous decadent cookies for your holiday dessert table or cookie trays…if they make it that long. ;)
How to make Christmas gooey butter cookies
I used a Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix, butter, an egg, cream cheese, vanilla, white chocolate chips and powdered sugar.
Mix ingredients together
Start by creaming together the butter and cream cheese first, then add in the egg and vanilla and stir. Mix in the cake mix until a thick dough forms, then fold in the chocolate chips.
Roll dough in powdered sugar
Next roll the dough into one inch balls. Using a small bowl full of powdered sugar, roll each red velvet cookie to completely cover in sugar.
Bake in oven
Place dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet, a few inches apart. Bake at 350°F until set, about 10-12 minutes. They will be soft, almost cake-like.
After they cool completely, dust with more powdered sugar if you’d like.
- Coat in powdered sugar twice! Once before baking and then after they have baked and cooled. You won’t regret it!
- I like to scoop out the dough with a cookie scoop, then roll into a ball with my hands. This ensures they’re all evenly sized.
- You can always leave out the white chocolate chips, but I love the extra flavor and depth they add.
- Don’t overcook! Take them out once they’ve set in the middle. You don’t want them to brown.
More delicious Christmas cookies:
- Grinch Cookies
- Pistachio Cherry Meltaway Cookies
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Cookies
- Soft Eggnog Cookies
- Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies
Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
- 15.25 ounce package Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350F° and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and cream cheese using an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until completely incorporated. Then add cake mix and continue mixing until a dough forms (it will be thick). Fold in white chocolate chips.
- Place powdered sugar in a small bowl. Using a small cookie scoop, form one-inch dough balls and roll into powdered sugar to coat.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart onto the cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until centers are set.
- Let cookies cool completely on a wire rack. Then dust with more powdered sugar if desired.
Originally written and photos shot by Cheryl from Tidy Mom for I Heart Naptime Christmas Event.