This easy key lime pie is made with just 5 ingredients and is so simple to whip up! It packs a punch of sweet flavor and is super tart and creamy. Perfect to enjoy all year long!
Table of Contents
Easy 5 Ingredient Pie
This key lime pie is SO easy to make and has an amazing tart, sweet and creamy taste. It only requires 5 simple ingredients and pairs perfectly my homemade graham cracker crust. If you want to make it even easier, you can always use a pre-made pie crust or graham cracker crust.
I’m obsessed with the filling…it’s super creamy and delicious. Plus it has the perfect amount of sweetness and tartness. The key to getting such great flavor is to use key limes instead of regular limes. They are smaller than regular limes and pack a sweeter punch.
Although key lime pie is typically a summer time favorite, it’s fun to serve for Saint Patrick’s Day as well. It even makes a great addition to your pie line up at Thanksgiving. Basically it’s delicious all year long. ;)
What is the Difference Between a Lime and a Key Lime?
It’s so important to use KEY LIMES (not regular limes) for this pie recipe. They are smaller than regular limes (pictured above) and tend to have more seeds. They have a stronger floral and tart taste, making them perfect to use in desserts. The tartness of the limes paired with the sugar or cream makes for an award winning combo!
This recipe only requires 5 simple ingredients (amounts included in printable recipe below) and turns out so delicious! I like to make my own crust, however feel free to use store-bought to make it even more simple. For topping, we love add fresh lime zest, a lime slice and some dollops of whipped cream. Yum!
- Graham cracker crust
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Sour cream (or cream cheese)
- Key lime juice
- Lime zest
How to Make Key Lime Pie
This recipe comes together so easily! Just follow the simple steps below to get started. Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- FILLING. Whisk together condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and zest in a medium bowl. Taste and add more zest if you prefer more tart flavor.
- BAKE. Pour mixture into prepared pie crust and bake at 350°F for 6 to 8 minutes, or until pinhole bubbles burst on top of pie. Don’t let the pie brown.
- CHILL. Chill pie before serving and keep stored in fridge. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and lime slices or zest.
Storing + Freezing
To store: To store, simply cover with saran wrap or foil and keep in fridge for up to 3 days. Try not to keep the pie out too long when serving, so that it doesn’t go bad. I wouldn’t leave it out at room temperature for longer than an hour.
To freeze: Wrap with saran wrap or foil, then slide into a zip top freezer bag and place in freezer. Make sure the pie is laying flat in the freezer on an even surface. You can store this dessert in the freezer for about a month or two. To thaw, place in fridge overnight or let set at room temp until filling is no longer frozen.
5 star review
“Served this for Father’s Day and it disappeared! My dad said it was great!”– Taryn
- Use a citrus press to easily and quickly squeeze the juice out of your fresh limes.
- To make things easier buy Key lime juice
- For a softer/tarter filling, use sour cream. For a creamier/firmer filling, use cream cheese.
- Taste the filling after you mix it together and add more lime juice or zest if you like a flavor that’s more tart.
- Don’t let the pie brown. Remove it from the oven as soon as you see pinhole bubbles burst on top.
- For a holiday twist, use a gingersnap crust. Or use a pretzel pie crust for a sweet and salty flavor.
- Let the pie cool completely before placing it in the fridge to chill.
More Pie Recipes You’ll Love
Key Lime Pie Recipe
For serving: whipped cream, lime slice, lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and lime zest. Taste and add more lime zest if you'd like more tart.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie crust. Bake in preheated oven for 6-8 minutes, or until pinhole bubbles burst on the top of the pie. Be careful to not let it brown.
- Chill pie before serving. Store in the refrigerator. Garnish with whipped cream and lime slices or zest if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!