This Easy Key Lime Pie is made with just 5 ingredients and is so simple to whip up! It packs a punch of sweet flavor and is super tart and creamy. Perfect to enjoy all year long!
Key lime pie is one of those classic desserts that I crave a couple of times a year! It has the best flavor and such a smooth and creamy consistency. Plus it tastes so refreshing. Some of my other favorites are no-bake cheesecake, banana cream pie, lemon brownies and fresh strawberry pie.
Key lime pie
This key lime pie is SO easy to make and has an amazing tart, sweet and creamy taste. It only requires 5 simple ingredients and pairs perfectly my homemade graham cracker crust. If you want to make it even easier, you can always use a pre-made pie crust or graham cracker crust.
I’m obsessed with the filling in this key lime pie recipe…it’s super creamy and delicious. Plus it has the perfect amount of sweetness and tartness. The key to getting such great flavor is to use key limes instead of regular limes. They are smaller than regular limes and pack a sweeter punch.
Although key lime pie is typically a summer time favorite, it’s fun to serve for Saint Patrick’s Day as well. It even makes a great addition to your pie line up at Thanksgiving. Basically it’s delicious all year long. ;)
What is the difference between a lime and a key lime?
It’s so important to use KEY LIMES (not regular limes) for this pie recipe. They are smaller than regular limes (pictured above) and tend to have more seeds. They have a stronger floral and tart taste, making them perfect to use in dessert recipes. The tartness of the limes paired with the sugar or cream in desserts makes for an award winning combo!
How many key limes makes a cup of juice? This key lime pie recipe calls for a 1 lb bag of key limes, which makes about 2/3 cup of juice. I thought this amount of juice created the perfect flavor, but you could use more if you prefer an extra tart taste. It should take about 1.5 lbs of key limes to make a cup of juice.
Are key limes sweeter than regular limes? Yes, key limes have a stronger tartness and floral taste than regular limes. This makes them perfect to use when baking!
Can I use regular limes in place of key limes? I would strongly recommend against this. Regular limes don’t have the tart and floral aromas that key limes have, which would compromise the flavor of the pie.
What is key lime pie made of?
This easy key lime pie recipe only requires 5 simple ingredients and turns out so delicious! I like to make my own, however feel free to use store-bought to make it even more simple. We love to top the key lime pie with fresh lime zest, a lime slice and some dollops of whipped cream. Sometimes I’ll even add some toasted coconut on top as well. Yum!
- Graham cracker crust
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Sour cream (or cream cheese)
- Key lime juice
- Lime zest
How to make key lime pie
This key lime pie recipe comes together so easily! Just follow the simple steps below to get started. Scroll down for the printable key lime pie recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and zest in a medium bowl. Taste and add more zest if you prefer more tart flavor.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie crust and bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until pinhole bubbles burst on top of pie. Don’t let the pie brown.
- Chill pie before serving and keep stored in fridge. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and lime slices or zest.
Note: For a softer/tarter filling, use sour cream. For a creamier/firmer filling, use cream cheese.
Should key lime pie be refrigerated?
Yes, key lime pie should be refrigerated. To store, simply cover with saran wrap or foil and keep in fridge for up to 3 days. Try not to keep the pie out too long when serving, so that it doesn’t go bad. I wouldn’t leave it out at room temperature for longer than an hour.
How do you freeze key lime pie?
This key lime pie recipe freezes well. Just wrap with saran wrap or foil, then slide into a zip top freezer bag and place in freezer. Make sure the pie is laying flat in the freezer on an even surface. You can store this key lime pie in the freezer for about a month or two. To thaw, place in fridge overnight or let set at room temp until filling is no longer frozen.
Key Lime Pie Recipe
- 1 9-inch prepared graham cracker crust
- 3 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or cream cheese)
- 2/3 cup key lime juice , about 1 lb bag
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon grated lime zest , more to taste
For serving: whipped cream, lime slice, lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and lime zest. Taste and add more lime zest if you'd like more tart.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie crust. Bake in preheated oven for 6-8 minutes, or until pinhole bubbles burst on the top of the pie. Be careful to not let it brown.
- Chill pie before serving. Store in the refrigerator. Garnish with whipped cream and lime slices or zest if desired.