This chocolate banana cream pie is filled with a rich chocolate filling and then topped with a layer of bananas and even more whipped cream!
Classic No-Bake Dessert
This chocolate banana cream pie recipe takes all the shortcuts and we’re not the least bit sorry about it! It means the whole thing can be assembled in just 10 minutes!
We’re using a premade pie crust which makes this officially one of the easiest, no-bake desserts you’ll ever make. However, if you choose to make your own homemade pie crust or even a graham cracker crust, it’s absolutely worth it.
What is Chocolate Banana Cream Pie?
Chocolate banana cream pie is a chocolate version of the classic banana cream pie and you’re going to love it. The filling is a combination of a luscious creamy pudding made lighter and airier with the addition of cool whip or whipped cream.
Layered with slices of sweet bananas and topped with a layer of pure whipped cream and sprinkled with the option of chocolate chips or chocolate shavings. It’s the perfect make-ahead dessert for serving a crowd.
Tips & Variations
- This recipe is meant to be quick and ready to dig into as soon as possible. If, however, you do want to take the time to make a homemade graham cracker crust, pie crust, chocolate pudding from scratch, and a homemade whipped cream, you totally should!
- Using whole milk helps with texture and consistency. The richness of the fat in whole milk helps the pudding to set and thicken up. If you use any low-fat, almond, or soy milk you won’t get the same results.
- My favorite store-bought crusts to use are Keebler graham cracker crust or frozen Marie Calendar.
- Chill for a minimum of 2 hours before slicing into it, otherwise, it won’t hold its structure as nicely.
This pie can be made up to 3 days ahead. Make it up to the point of adding filling to the pie crust and chilling. Continue chilling for up to 3 days and when you’re ready to serve, layer sliced bananas over top and top with a layer of whipped cream and serve immediately.
Other Easy No-Bake Desserts:
Chocolate banana cream pie
- 1 pie crust , pre-made or homemade
- 5 ounces instant chocolate pudding mix , 1 big box
- 2 cups whole milk , cold
- 1 cup cool whip or whipped cream , thawed
- 2 medium bananas
For garnish (optional): whipped cream and more sliced bananas, mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings
- Bake pie crust according to direction if needed (no need to bake a store bought graham cracker crust). Whisk the instant pudding mix and milk in a large bowl. Whisk fast for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it has thickened. If you lift the whisk, the pudding shouldn't fall off.
- Fold in 1 cup of cool whip or whipped cream. Then slice 1 banana into thin slices and stir into the pudding. Evenly spread the filling into the pre-made pie crust.
- Chill at least 2 to 3 hours before serving. Slice 1 banana over the top of the chocolate pie.
- Then evenly spread the remaining whipped cream (about 1 cup) over top. Slice and serve chilled.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!