This recipe has all the delicious flavors of good old-fashioned banana cream pie but is literally done in minutes. Takes only 5 ingredients and is an easy no bake dessert that tastes amazing!
Table of Contents
Banana Cream Pie with Pudding
One of my very favorite pies is banana cream pie. My husband’s grandma makes it for our Thanksgiving menu every year (along with about a dozen other pies) and it’s always the kid’s favorite.
I was shocked when I heard it was so simple to make! It not only tastes delicious around the holidays, but makes a great summer time pie to whip up since you don’t have to warm up the kitchen with a hot oven.
If you love bananas, you are bound to love this pie too. It’s light, fluffy and full of delicious banana flavor. Plus it’s made with just 5 simple ingredients…one being a box of instant banana pudding mix.
5 Basic Ingredients
You read it right, just 5 ingredients to make a stellar dessert.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Pie crust: You can use a baked store-bought or homemade pie crust for this recipe. I usually buy a premade crust to stick with the easy theme. A graham cracker crust, Nilla wafer crust or gingersnap crust would also taste delicious.
- Instant banana pudding: Using the instant banana cream pudding mix is what makes this recipe so simple. No cooking on the stovetop required. Just simply mix with milk and let set! You can also opt for instant vanilla pudding, if you would like less banana flavor.
- Milk: Make sure to use either whole milk or 2% milk. Other varieties like skim, almond or soy won’t thicken the pudding enough.
- Cool whip: This adds a light and fluffy component to the filling. Just make sure it’s thawed before mixing it in. If you’re feeling up to it, you can even make homemade cool whip or substitute with homemade whipped cream.
- Bananas: Look for bananas that are ripe with a few brown spots (but not overly brown). These will have the best sweet flavor and a soft yet sturdy texture.
Tips + Variations
- Toppings. This pie is super simple to make, so the toppings are where you can make it look a little more sophisticated. Pipe on a fun design with some stabilized whipped cream (I use a large 1M tip) and then add more fresh banana slices on top (or caramelized bananas for a richer flavor). You can also sprinkle on some toasted coconut or crushed vanilla wafers to fancy it up a little more.
- Chocolate version. If you love chocolate, try making this delicious chocolate banana cream pie variation. Simply swap the banana cream pudding mix for instant chocolate pudding mix. The fresh sliced bananas still give it that delicious banana flavor, but with a rich chocolaty addition.
How to Make Easy Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- Combine. Stir together the pudding mix and milk until thickened. Fold in the bananas and Cool Whip.
- Fill. Pour the pudding mixture evenly in the baked pie crust.
- Chill. Place in the refrigerator to chill at least 2 hours.
- Decorate. I used a 1M piping tip to decorate with stabilized whipped cream and bananas before serving.
5 star review
“My daughter asked for this for her birthday instead of cake. Such a creamy and rich pie. The whole family loved it.”-Janelle
If you can only find Cook and Serve pudding, that’s fine to use. Simply prepare as instructed on the package and let chill in the fridge until the pudding is set. Then mix in the Cool Whip and banana slices before folding into the pie crust.
You can also use instant vanilla pudding mix in a pinch or if you like less banana flavor.
Although bananas brown pretty quickly, it’s not too big of a concern in this recipe. Because they’re mixed in with the pudding, they aren’t exposed to air which usually keeps them from browning.
If you’re adding fresh banana slices on top of the pie, then I’d recommend adding those on right before serving, so they stay fresh.
Make Ahead + Storing
- To make ahead. This pie needs to chill for at least 3 hours before serving in order to set, so it’s even better if you can let it set overnight! Make the recipe according to instructions (do not add toppings) and then cover and place in the refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, top with whipped cream and fresh bananas.
- To store. Loosely cover the pie top with aluminum foil (or plastic wrap) and place in the fridge. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days.
More Easy No Bake DessertsBrowse all
Easy Banana Cream Pie
- 1 (5.1-ounce) box instant banana cream pudding mix
- 2 cups whole milk , cold
- 8 ounces Cool Whip , thawed, or whipped cream
- 2 medium bananas , sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 baked pie crust , premade or homemade
Optional toppings: Cool Whip or Whipped Cream, Sliced Bananas, or Caramel Sauce
- In a large bowl, whisk the pudding mix and milk 2 to 3 minutes, or until it has thickened. Fold in the cool whip and bananas.
- Spread the filling evenly into the baked pie crust.
- Chill at least 2 to 3 hours before serving. Top with any remaining Cool Whip (or whipped cream) and fresh bananas. Slice and serve chilled.
- Recipe for homemade graham cracker crust: https://www.iheartnaptime.net/graham-cracker-crust/
- Recipe for homemade pie crust: https://www.iheartnaptime.net/easy-pie-crust-recipe/
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!