Quick and easy banana cream pie recipe is an old-fashioned favorite done in minutes! Sliced bananas and instant banana pudding make this no bake dessert amazing.
Table of Contents
Banana Cream Pie with Pudding
It’s so simple to make using a box instant banana pudding and 3-ingredient pie crust. It’s both a delicious holiday pie and great in the Spring just like my lemon icebox pie since it’s a no-bake dessert.
Easy Banana Cream Pie Ingredients
All you need are 6 simple ingredients to create the best banana cream pie. It’s light, fluffy and full of banana flavor.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Crust: You can use a baked store-bought or homemade pie crust. Try a graham cracker crust, vanilla wafer crumb crust, pretzel crust or gingersnap crust.
- Instant banana cream pudding: Adds the best banana cream flavor.
- Milk: Whole milk or 2% milk thicken and help pudding set.
- Cool Whip: One tub that is thawed or try homemade cool whip or homemade whipped cream.
- Bananas: Ripe with a few brown spots add the best sweet flavor.
Tips + Variations
Really this pie is simple and full of flavor! It has everything you need to make the best banana pudding cream pie.
- Toppings. Pipe on a fun design with some stabilized whipped cream then add more fresh banana slices on top (or caramelized bananas). Sprinkle on toasted coconut if desired.
- Chocolate version. If you love chocolate, try making this delicious chocolate banana cream pie variation.
- Prevent browning: To ensure the bananas do not brown, make sure the filling covers them.
How to Make Banana Cream Pie
This shortcut recipe has only four easy steps. This dessert pie will be a hit with your family and friends!
- Dissolve. Whisk the cornstarch into the milk until dissolved.
- Combine. Stir together the pudding mix and milk mixture until thickened. Fold in the bananas and Cool Whip.
- Fill. Pour the pudding mixture evenly in the baked pie crust.
- Chill. Place the banana pie in the refrigerator to chill at least 2 hours then garnish with homemade whipped cream and fresh bananas before serving.
5 star review
“My daughter asked for this for her birthday instead of cake. Such a creamy and rich pie. The whole family loved it.”-Janelle
If you can only find cook and serve pudding, simply prepare as instructed on the package and let chill in the fridge until the pudding is set. Then mix in the Cool Whip and banana slices before folding into the pie crust.
Although bananas brown pretty quickly, it’s not too big of a concern in this recipe. Because they’re mixed in with the pudding, they aren’t exposed to air which usually keeps them from browning.
If you’re adding fresh banana slices on top of the pie, then I’d recommend adding those on right before serving, so they stay fresh.
Yes! To make this pie with as little as effort as possible, purchase a graham cracker pre-made crust that requires no baking at all. Place it in a pie pan for a more elegant look.
If you forgot to add cornstarch to the filling it may not set up properly. If you need to avoid cornstarch, you can add less milk around 1 1/2 cup to 1 3/4 cups. You can also replace the milk with heavy cream.
Make Ahead and Storing Cream Pies
This pie is the perfect simple and delicious dessert to make ahead or store leftovers!
- To make ahead. This pie needs to chill for at least 3 hours before serving in order to set, so it’s even better if you can let it set overnight! Make the recipe according to instructions (do not add toppings) and then cover and place in the refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, top with whipped cream and fresh bananas.
- To store. Loosely cover the pie top with aluminum foil (or plastic wrap) and place in the fridge. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days.
More Easy No Bake DessertsBrowse all
Easy Banana Cream Pie
- 2 cups whole milk , cold
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 (5.1-ounce) box instant banana cream pudding mix
- 2 medium bananas , sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 ounces Cool Whip , thawed, or whipped cream, divided
- 1 baked pie crust , premade or homemade
Optional toppings: Cool Whip or Whipped Cream, Sliced Bananas, or Caramel Sauce
- In small bowl, whisk together the milk and cornstarch until dissolved.
- In a large bowl, whisk the pudding mix and milk mixture 2 to 3 minutes, or until it has thickened. Fold in the bananas and 1/2 Cool Whip. Add more Cool Whip until there is enough filling to fill the crust. Save the remaining 1/2 for topping.
- Spread the filling evenly into the baked pie crust.
- Chill at least 2 to 3 hours before serving. Top with any remaining 1/2 Cool Whip (or whipped cream) and fresh bananas. Slice and serve chilled.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!