Pistachio and Chocolate Leprechaun Cookies -perfect for Saint Patrick’s Day!
I can’t believe St. Patrick’s Day is almost here! It’s one of my favorite holidays to celebrate because (a) excuse to throw a party (b) green is my favorite color and (c) leprechaun cookies! What are leprechaun cookies you ask? They are my family’s favorite St. Patrick’s day treat. They’re full of decadent dark chocolate chips, crunchy walnuts, green M&Ms and pistachio! I created these to have a hint of green (no pinching here!) as well as be absolutely irresistible in flavor.
A few notes on the mix-ins! I include pistachio pudding because it gives a subtle pistachio flavor and hint of green. You can also add a drop or two of green food coloring to the batter for even more green coloring. Up to you! I love the crunch that the chopped walnuts give to these cookies but of course they can be left out or swapped for another favorite. Dark chocolate chips really contrast the sweet pistachio flavor but milk or white chips would be fabulous as well. Just be sure to include green chocolate candies, the leprechaun really loves those !
These cookies don’t take hours to make, in fact they’re ready within one hour so it’s the perfect after-school snack too! Consider packaging these up with a fun black and white striped bow and green shamrock gift tag to give as teacher’s gifts, neighbor’s gifts, party favors, etc! Or just make a big ol’ batch for your family to enjoy during movie night for St. Patrick’s Day! However you enjoy these leprechaun cookies, they are a real treat.
You’ll love these Saint Patrick’s Day ideas too:
- Clover rice krispie treats
- Thin mint shamrock milkshake
- 50 Saint Patrick’s Day crafts and recipes
- Saint Patrick’s Day breakfast ideas
Pistachio and Chocolate Leprechaun Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3.4 ounces 3.4 ounce package instant pistachio pudding (dry mix)
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup green M&Ms
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- green food coloring *optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars. Add extracts and pudding mix and eggs one at a time. Beat for 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to sugar mixture one a little at a time, mixing thoroughly between each addition. Add a drop or two of green food coloring at this point if you want a stronger green color. Stir in chocolate chips, green M&Ms, chopped walnuts, and any other mix-ins you like!
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are turning slightly golden. Let cool and enjoy!