Jello Cookies – A yummy cookie recipe that can be turned into playdough! So fun and perfect for Summer. The kids will love these easy jello cookies!
The kids and I love to bake all types of desserts together. Cookies are our favorite because they’re simple, quick and taste delicious. These jello cookies are perfect for baking with kids because they’re easy, colorful and double as playdough! Talk about a win-win :)
Make jello cookies and jello playdough with this yummy recipe!
I’m always looking for fun activities to do with the kids during the summer. And making these jello cookies together is one of our favorites!
The nice thing about this jello cookie recipe is that it doubles as both cookie dough and playdough! Although my famous homemade playdough recipe is still our go-to, the texture of this jello playdough is still super soft and squishy.
Just wash the kid’s hands (and counter of course) and then let the kids imaginations go wild! My kids have so much fun smashing the jello cookie dough and building BIG towers with all the colors. Then once they’re done with the playdough, simply roll it into balls, dip them in jello sugar and bake! They taste soft like a sugar cookie, but with a more tart and sweet flavor.
These jello cookies are also a fun recipe to make during the holidays with the kids. We love to make red and blue versions for 4th of July or red and green jello cookies for Christmas. They are also great for Cinco de Mayo. Simple, festive and delicious!
Favorite jello mix flavors
Below are some of the jello mix flavors that you can use to make these jello cookies. Feel free to switch it up depending on the time of year or the holiday!
Red: Strawberry, cherry, watermelon, raspberry, tropical fusion or cranberry
Orange: Orange, apricot, mango or peach
Blue: Berry blue
Others: Grape (purple) and lemon or island pineapple (yellow)
How to make jello cookies
Scroll down for the printable jello cookie recipe.
- Preheat oven and cream butter and sugar together. Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Then blend in egg and vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients with wet mixture. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and cream of tarter in a separate bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Divide into sections. Divide the dough into four sections. Sprinkle two tablespoons of jello mix into each section and then knead until combined. Add food coloring for a more vibrant color.
- Roll into balls. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet about two inches apart. Flatten the dough with the bottom of a cup to allow the cookies to cook evenly.
- Bake and let cool. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes. Remove cookies from the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
TIP: For a sweeter cookie, roll your jello cookies balls into the extra jello mix powder or sugar prior to baking.
- To enhance the colors, use a couple drops of food coloring in each section.
- You can use sugar-free jello mix if preferred.
- For a sweeter cookie, roll the cookie dough balls into the extra jello powder or sugar prior to baking.
- Use the bottom of a cup or bowl to flatten the cookie dough balls so that they bake evenly.
- You could use a cookie press if preferred. Or even roll the dough out and use cookie cutters.
- Freeze the dough and bake them later! Simply roll the dough into balls and place in a zip top bag in the freezer. Before baking, let them thaw out on a baking sheet.
More easy cookie recipes:
- Cake Mix Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- White Chocolate Butterscotch Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Sprinkle Cookies
- M&M Cookies
- BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies
Jello Cookie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 12 ounces jello mix (4 packages)
- food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Blend in egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and cream of tarter. Gradually add flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Divide the dough into four sections. Sprinkle two tablespoons of jello mix into each section and then knead the dough until combined. You can add a few drops of food coloring in, if you’d like the color to be more vibrant.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. If desired, you may roll the balls into the extra jello powder or sugar for a sweeter cookie. Then place dough onto the baking sheet about two inches apart. Flatten the dough with the bottom of a cup or bowl to allow the cookies to cook evenly.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes. Remove cookies from the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Don’t these jello cookies just scream SUMMER?! I love all the bright colors! It was fun to taste all the different flavors too. The kids loved them!