A homemade shamrock shake is your answer to recreating the popular McDonald’s minty milkshake with just 5 simple ingredients. No longer just available for a limited time or one day a year, but all year when you make this delicious and creamy copycat recipe yourself!
St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Shake
Come February, we all know once we see the green milkshake that Saint Patrick’s Day must be around the corner!
I know that tasty frozen dessert is delicious, but I’m not inclined to stand in line at my local McDonald’s for one or shell out the money it costs for something I can make better (and without high fructose corn syrup) at home.
Making a thick, creamy, and rich homemade shamrock shake has become one of my favorite treats to recreate this time of year!
What is a Shamrock Shake?
The Shamrock Shake, despite where it originated, is a popular drink on the McDonald’s menu that is only available a month prior to St. Patrick’s Day until just shortly after. It’s a milkshake made from milk, sugar, cream, mint flavor and some hard-to-pronounce ingredients enjoyed plain or topped with whipped cream.
For true fans of this jazzed up milkshake, it has become a yearly tradition to look forward to. It’s become so popular that they’ve since made an Oreo shamrock mcflurry!
What’s in the Homemade Shamrock Shake?
This simple copycat version is made with 5 ingredients. One of them is optional and the other is a topping, so it really couldn’t be easier!
- Vanilla ice cream or mint chocolate chip ice cream
- Milk – I use whole milk for a thicker creamier texture.
- Mint extract – Use mint extract, not peppermint extract, otherwise, your drink will taste less like a shamrock shake and more like candy canes.
- Green food coloring (optional) – Both gel and liquid food coloring can be used. Green is more concentrated and has a more vibrant color, so you’ll need less. Liquid food coloring is cheaper to buy, but to get the same depth of color you’ll need to use more. It’s up to you!
- Top it off with homemade whipped cream!
How to Make a Shamrock Shake
- Combine the ice cream, mint extract, milk, and food coloring in a blender. Start with a few drops of green at first.
- Blend everything then decide if you need to add more drops of green food coloring.
- Do a little taste test. Add more mint if you like.
- Pour into a tall glass or two, garnish with whipped cream, green sprinkles, and a maraschino cherry on top!
For a Fun Twist!
Skip the milk and make a shamrock sundae! Scoop some mint chocolate chip ice cream into a bowl, top with whipped cream infused with mint extract, green sprinkles, and a cherry.
More St. Patrick’s Day Favorites:
- Chocolate Mint Brownies
- Pistachio and Chocolate Leprechaun Cookies
- Irish Scones
- Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Rainbow Fruit Platter
Homemade Shamrock Shake
For serving: maraschino cherry, green sprinkles (optional)
- Combine the ice cream, milk, mint and the food coloring in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add more milk or food coloring if needed. Taste and add more mint if desired.
- Pour into 2 glasses and top with whipped cream, a cherry and sprinkles if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!