Cool off this summer with a refreshing root beer float! Made with just 2 ingredients in 5 minutes – it doesn’t get better than this easy treat.
Table of Contents
Homemade Root Beer Float
I love sipping on a cold glass full of ice cream with foamy root beer. It is one of those treats I always forget about and one that everyone always loves. They are perfect for any summer get together!
One of my favorite treats growing up was root beer floats. There’s nothing better than a cold root beer float on a summer night. It’s been forever since I’ve made them and thought that needed to change. Now I know you probably don’t need a recipe since they have been around forever, but I thought I’d share some of my tips and variations. Check them out below.
- Freeze the glass mugs for about 10 minutes prior to assembling the floats.
- Scoop the ice cream and place a few scoops into each glass.
- Pour the root beer on top of the ice cream evenly into each glass.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of whipped cream and maraschino cherry on top!
Tips + Variations
- Serve in cold glasses. This will help keep both the ice cream and soda cold.
- Use homemade root beer and homemade vanilla ice cream.
- Switch up the flavor of soda and use orange soda (my kids’ favorite), cream soda, big red soda or grape soda.
- You can use a lighter vanilla ice cream and diet soda to cut back on calories.
- Make homemade whipped cream for a delicious touch.
More Frozen Treats for Summer
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Root Beer Float Recipe
- 1 pint vanilla bean ice cream
- 24 ounces old-fashioned root beer , make sure it's cold
For serving: Whipped cream and maraschino cherries
- Place glasses in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Then place a couple scoops of ice cream into 4 cold glasses. Then pour the root beer evenly into 4 glasses.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream to the top of each glass and a cherry on top.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
One of my favorite treats growing up. Such an awesome combination and of course simple to make.
best summer dessert of all time!