Looking for the ultimate chocolate dessert that takes almost no effort? Make this easy, decadent slow cooker chocolate lava cake. With just minutes of prep, you’ll have the ultimate fudgy, gooey chocolate cake.
Table of Contents
Amazing Crockpot Lava Cake
If I had to choose one small appliance from my kitchen as a favorite, it would be my slow cooker. I love using it for dinner but also dessert!
Imagine opening your slow cooker to discover a perfectly moist, decadent chocolate cake overflowing with rich, molten chocolate. With just a few minutes of prep time, you can sit back, relax, and let your slow cooker work its magic until your home is filled with the irresistible aroma of chocolate.
This slow cooker chocolate lava cake is easy and delicious!
How to Make Slow Cooker Cake
This cake is incredibly easy to put together. You can grab the full printable version of the recipe below, but here’s the overview.
Make the cake layer. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Whisk the wet ingredients together, then slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones. Mix well, then fold in the Nutella and chocolate chips.
Make the topping. To make the topping layer for the crockpot cake, add cocoa powder and sugar to a small bowl, then add boiling water over the top. Make sure to dissolve the mixture by stirring well until no clumps remain.
Combine the layers. Spray the crockpot liner with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the cake layer in and spread it until it’s evenly coating the bottom. Then pour the topping layer on top of the cake batter. Make sure you do not stir. Put on the lid and cook on high for about two hours.
Serve the cake. This cake is best served warm, right out of the crockpot. Scoop it into bowls and enjoy! By the way, I highly recommend serving it topped with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Yum!
- Note your crockpot size. I used an 8 qt crockpot for this cake. This recipe should work just fine in other sizes as well, but you may have to adjust your cooking time slightly.
- Make sure to spray the crockpot base. This dessert is extra gooey, so it’s important to spray the base or use a crockpot liner to avoid a sticky mess.
- Scoop out and serve. Unlike a traditional cake, you will not be able to remove this cake in its entirety. To serve, just scoop out individual portions into a bowl.
- Store in an airtight container. Leftovers will keep 2-3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. I would recommend a quick blast in the microwave before eating, as it tastes much better warm.
Crockpot Cake Add-Ons
There are so many ways you can customize this slow cooker chocolate lava cake. You can mix a few spoonful’s into the batter at the beginning, or add some as a topping before serving, or both! Here are some of my favorite ways to customize this recipe:
- peanut butter
- cookie butter
- almond butter
- hot fudge
- chopped walnuts
- caramelized bananas
- whipped cream
- chopped hazelnuts
- caramel sauce
- chopped pieces of your favorite chocolate candy bar such as snickers or peanut butter cups
More Chocolate Desserts
Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake
- Slow cooker
For the Cake:
For the Topping:
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
For serving: whipped cream, powdered sugar, Nutella, chopped nuts, hot fudge, ice cream
- To make the cake: Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, and vanilla and add to the dry ingredients, mixing well. Fold in the Nutella and chocolate chips. Spread the mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- To make the topping: Add the cocoa powder and sugar to a small bowl, then pour the boiling water over the top. Stir until dissolved, then pour the mixture over the top of the cake batter in the slow cooker. Do not stir!
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for two hours, or until the top layer has puffed up and is set.
- To serve, scoop into bowls and add desired toppings like whipped cream, hot fudge or chopped nuts. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!