Crockpot chocolate cake is rich, gooey, and filled with chocolate flavor. Even better, this crockpot cake takes just minutes to prep and then cooks completely in your slow cooker so you can add your ingredients and let the delicious aroma fill your home, totally hands-free.
Table of Contents
Amazing Slow Cooker Lava Cake
If you adore chocolate as much as I do, you’ve got to try some of these other incredible desserts like this chocolate bundt cake, chocolate fudge caramel brownies, and the best Texas sheet cake.
If I had to choose one small appliance from my kitchen as a favorite, there wouldn’t even be a competition. My slow cooker is the most frequently used tool in my kitchen and I have used it for everything from dinners to dips and appetizers.
I recently discovered that you can even make dessert in a slow cooker. Now I’m even more hooked! The low, consistent heat of a slow cooker makes for a pretty ideal environment to make an extra rich and moist cake.
Another reason I love this crock pot chocolate lava cake is that it is so simple to put together. It literally takes just minutes to prep, then the cooker does all the rest of the work. Easy and delicious!
How to Make Slow Cooker Cake
This cake is incredibly easy to put together. You can grab the full printable version of the recipe below, but here’s the overview.
Make the cake layer. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Whisk the wet ingredients together, then slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones. Mix well, then fold in the Nutella and chocolate chips.
Make the topping. To make the topping layer for the crockpot cake, add cocoa powder and sugar to a small bowl, then add boiling water over the top. Make sure to dissolve the mixture by stirring well until no clumps remain.
Combine the layers. Spray the crockpot liner with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the cake layer in and spread it until it’s evenly coating the bottom. Then pour the topping layer on top of the cake batter. Make sure you do not stir. Put on the lid and cook on high for about two hours.
Serve the cake. This cake is best served warm, right out of the crockpot. Scoop it into bowls and enjoy! By the way, I highly recommend serving it topped with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Yum!
- Note your crockpot size. I used an 8 qt crockpot for this cake. This recipe should work just fine in other sizes as well, but you may have to adjust your cooking time slightly.
- Make sure to spray the crockpot base. This dessert is extra gooey, so it’s important to spray the base or use a crockpot liner to avoid a sticky mess.
- Scoop out and serve. Unlike a traditional cake, you will not be able to remove this cake in its entirety. To serve, just scoop out individual portions into a bowl.
- Store in an airtight container. Leftovers will keep 2-3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. I would recommend a quick blast in the microwave before eating, as it tastes much better warm.
Crockpot Cake Add-Ons
There are so many ways you can customize this slow cooker chocolate lava cake. You can mix a few spoonful’s into the batter at the beginning, or add some as a topping before serving, or both! Here are some of my favorite ways to customize this recipe:
- peanut butter
- cookie butter
- almond butter
- hot fudge
- chopped walnuts
- caramelized bananas
- whipped cream
- chopped hazelnuts
- caramel sauce
- chopped pieces of your favorite chocolate candy bar such as snickers or peanut butter cups
More Chocolate Desserts
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Slow Cooker Chocolate Cake
- Slow cooker
For the Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup Nutella or peanut butter, or cookie butter
- ½ cup chocolate chips , any kind would work great
For the Topping:
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
For serving: whipped cream, powdered sugar, Nutella, chopped nuts, hot fudge, ice cream
- To make the cake: Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, and vanilla and add to the dry ingredients, mixing well. Fold in the Nutella and chocolate chips. Spread the mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- To make the topping: Add the cocoa powder and sugar to a small bowl, then pour the boiling water over the top. Stir until dissolved, then pour the mixture over the top of the cake batter in the slow cooker. Do not stir!
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for two hours, or until the top layer has puffed up and is set.
- To serve, scoop into bowls and add desired toppings like whipped cream, hot fudge or chopped nuts. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
This was great! We were looking for a yummy dessert that did not involve the oven!
We made it exactly as written with the peanut butter option, but will definitely try the nutella option soon!
I’m glad you enjoyed it! :)
Delicious. Definitely a keeper.
I’m so glad you enjoyed it!
This was really amazing! My kids can’t get enough of it!
This is so heavenly! Made it for a girl’s night, and it was loved by all. Definitely no leftovers!
Died and gone to heaven with this one! So good!
Crock Pot desserts are so much fun. This one came out so ooey gooey good!! It was delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, yum.
Such a delicious dessert! Loved how easy this was to make! The ice cream on top made it!
Can’t wait to make this slow cooker chocolate cake. I just wonder what size crock pot I need to use. How do I remove the cake from the crock pot?
This was done in an 8 quart slow cooker. You won’t be able to remove the whole cake from the crock pot. I just scooped the warm cake into bowls and then topped with ice cream! :)