This ultimate chocolate bundt cake is a rich, tender and fudgy cake topped with an irresistible chocolate glaze. This bundt cake is so easy to make and is always the showstopper at any party.
You can never go wrong with chocolate desserts, they are always a crowd pleaser. Here are some of my other favorites: texas sheet cake, triple chocolate cookies, slow cooker chocolate cake, chocolate truffles, chocolate lasagna.
Chocolate sour cream bundt cake
If you’re looking for a good bundt cake recipe I think you’ve found it. This really is the perfect chocolate bundt cake. It is so soft, moist and rich. The secret ingredient in this bundt cake is the sour cream. It makes the cake so soft and tender. Similar to my favorite chocolate cupcakes, although this cake recipe is made from scratch. Don’t let that intimidate you because I promise it is so easy.
How to make a chocolate bundt cake
Scroll down fro the printable recipe below.
- The first step is to to melt the butter with the cocoa powder and water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Then your going to whisk together the flour, sugar and baking soda.
- Next you’re going to slowly add in the chocolate mixture, whisking as you go. It will be thick and clumpy, but that is normal. Keep slowly adding and whisking until smooth.
- Whisk in one egg at a time and then add the vanilla and sour cream. You can also add in chocolate chips if desired.
- Finally you’ll pour the chocolate cake into the prepared bundt cake pan and bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
Chocolate glaze for bundt cake
You’ll only need 2 simple ingredients to make this chocolate ganache.
- Heavy cream: 1 cup of heavy cream that you will warm in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Chocolate chips: 2 cups of chocolate chips that you will add to the warm cream and let sit for 5 minutes. Then whisk until smooth.
Bundt cake pan
Bundt pans can come in all different shapes, sizes and designs. For this chocolate bundt cake recipe you can use a 10 or 12 cup bundt cake pan. You could also use a mini bundt cake pan and cut the cooking time in half. I would start checking them around 18 minutes.
Tip: Make sure to generously butter your bundt cake pan (in every crevice) so that the cake does not stick. Also make sure to dust with flour to help the cake release easier.
Can bundt cake be frozen?
Yes this chocolate bundt cake can be frozen. If you plan to make it ahead of time and freezing it, I recommend waiting to add the chocolate glaze until the day you are serving. If you want to freeze the leftovers you can certainly do that as well. Here’s some tips for freezing cake below.
- If the cake is not glazed, wrap the cake in plastic wrap one or two times. Then place in freezer.
- If you’re freezing the frosted cake, place it unwrapped in the freezer for about 30 minutes to chill the glaze and then wrap once it has hardened. You can also wrap each individual slice and then store in an airtight container. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Remove the cake about an hour or two before you plan to serve and let thaw at room temperature.
Chocolate Bundt Cake Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter , plus more for pan
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour , plus more for pan
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips ,optional
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Optional: mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, chopped nuts, vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a (10-12 cup) bundt cake pan very well in all the creases and then dust with flour.
- Combine the butter, water, cocoa powder and salt in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook until melted and combined then remove from heat.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk in half of the hot mixture until smooth. Then whisk in the remainder of the mixture until smooth. Whisk in 1 egg at a time.
- Fold in the sour cream, vanilla and chocolate chips and stir just until combined. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean. Don't let it overcook. Let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan and then place the cooling rack on top of it and flip over. Let cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled make the glaze. Place the heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1-2 minutes, or until simmering. Add the chocolate chips and let it sit for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Then slowly spoon the ganache over the cake. Add optional toppings if desired immediately.
- Slice and enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired!