Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake – Filled with ooey gooey caramel and topped with even more caramel, chocolate and nuts. This poke cake recipe is super easy, quick and absolutely delicious!
When it comes to easy cake recipes, this chocolate poke cake is at the top of my list. It’s simple, quick and made with minimal ingredients. Some of my other easy favorites are better than anything cake, dump cake, Texas sheet cake, tres leches cake and no-bake cheesecake.
Chocolate poke cake
There’s something about the chocolate and caramel combination that is simply irresistible! And this chocolate turtle poke cake is just that…a fluffy and moist chocolate cake filled with gooey caramel then topped with more caramel, chocolate and nuts. It’s seriously amazing and surprisingly really easy too!
This poke cake recipe is a spin off from my better than anything cake and is perfect for any type of celebration, whether it’s Father’s Day, a birthday, a graduation party or just an average day! I doctored up a box of cake mix to make this recipe a little easier and your guests would never know. Trust me, they’ll think you made the most amazing homemade turtle poke cake in all the land. :)
I’ve got an adorable free printable cake topper for you as well (scroll to the bottom to download). Seriously, just look at that caramel drizzling down the side of the cake. Pass over the fork and a tall glass of cold milk!
Ingredients for poke cake
There are only a few simple ingredients needed to make this delicious poke cake. You’ll need a box of chocolate cake mix, caramel, chocolate buttercream frosting, chocolate chips and nuts. We also love to serve it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Devil’s food cake: You’ll need 1 box of devil’s food cake mix, plus the ingredients listed on the box.
Chocolate chips: I used mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, but any that you have on hand will work.
Sweetened condensed milk caramel: I like to use the sweetened condensed milk caramel, however you could use dulce de leche if preferred.
Chocolate buttercream frosting: I love to make homemade chocolate buttercream frosting. It’s so easy and tastes delicious! Alternatively you could use 1 can of store-bought frosting.
Caramel ice cream topping: The caramel topping tastes amazing drizzled over the chocolate buttercream. If you’d like to make your own salted caramel sauce, check out this recipe.
Chopped pecans: I absolutely love the added crunch and nuttiness that chopped pecans add. For convenience, I like to buy the pecan pieces that are already chopped.
How to make chocolate poke cake
Scroll down for the printable chocolate poke cake recipe.
- Mix cake batter then bake. Mix the cake batter according to package directions and stir in 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Bake according to the directions and then remove from oven to cool.
- Poke holes in cake.Using the end of a spoon or butter knife, poke holes all over top of cake.
- Drizzle condensed milk caramel on cake. Next drizzle the sweetened condensed milk caramel over the cake. If it’s too thick, warm for about a minute in the microwave. Allow caramel to soak into holes of cake.
- Top with frosting, caramel & nuts. When cake is at room temp, carefully top with buttercream frosting, then drizzle with caramel and chopped pecans.
- Refrigerate and serve. Chill in refrigerator until serving. Enjoy!
Can you make poke cake the day before?
Yes, you can make this poke cake recipe the day before. The cake needs to chill in the fridge prior to serving anyways (so that the flavors will meld), so feel free to make it a day in advance. Simply cover with a lid or plastic wrap and store in the fridge until serving.
Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake Recipe
- 15 ounce box devil’s food cake mix , plus ingredients on box
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips , divided
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk caramel , or dulce de leche
- 2 to 3 cups chocolate buttercream frosting , or 1 can
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping , or salted caramel
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
- Mix the cake batter according to package directions. Stir in 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Bake the cake according to the package directions. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Then poke holes all over the top with the end of a spoon or butter knife.
- Next drizzle the sweetened condensed milk caramel over the cake. If it is too thick, warm in the microwave for 1 minute. Allow the topping to soak into the holes.
- Once the cake is at room temperature, carefully top with the chocolate frosting. Then drizzle the caramel on top and add the chopped pecans.
- Store in the refrigerator, until serving.
FREE Father’s Day cake toppers
I made this cake for my husband for Father’s Day and topped it with these adorable cake toppers! To download, simply enter your information below and you’ll have the free printable in your inbox in no time!
TO DOWNLOAD FATHER’S DAY CAKE TOPPER
Enter your info below to snag your free printable Father’s Day cake topper:
Once you’ve printed out your cake topper, all you need to do is cut them out with scissors and then tape them to a lollipop stick or skewer. For best results, print on card stock paper.
Here’s 3 fabulous ways to use the cake toppers (we’ve got 2 different sizes and colors):
1.) On a big slice of this delicious turtle poke cake!
2.) Add to a store bought cake…I found this gorgeous one in the bakery at my local grocery store.
3.) Add to chocolate cupcakes!
I hope this poke cake makes your Dad’s (or husbands) happy!