This pumpkin pie recipe is an all time favorite dessert for Thanksgiving! Smooth and velvety with the perfect blend of spices. Everything you’d want in a classic pumpkin pie is right here!
I know I told you that razzleberry pie is my all time favorite pie, but this pumpkin pie comes in at a close second! I always have to get a piece of each…followed by lots of whipped cream. Everything you’d want in a classic pumpkin pie recipe is right here. I’ve tried so many different recipes for pumpkin pie and always seem to come back to Libby’s famous recipe. This pie is smooth and velvety with the perfect blend of spices.
I adapted the Libby’s recipe a tad and it turned out amazing! The main difference I made in this recipe was reduced the evaporated milk to make it a little more firm. I also added in a little bit of vanilla. It gives it the perfect flavor. Mmm…so good!
- pure pumpkin
- evaporated milk
- pie crust (store bought or homemade)
- whipped cream (store bought or homemade)
How to make pumpkin pie
This pumpkin pie is so simple and comes together really quickly! I used a store bought pie crust this time to make it even quicker, however feel free to make your own homemade pie crust if you’d like!
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine ingredients for filling. Beat eggs in a large bowl, then add vanilla & spices. Mix until combined. Stir in pumpkin and then gradually mix in evaporated milk until the filling is smooth.
- Add filling to crust and bake. Pour mixture into pie shell and then put pie tin on a baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 40-55 minutes or until the center is done (place knife in center to make sure it comes out clean).
- Top and serve. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with homemade whip cream. :)
Note: I usually cover the crust with foil for the last 20 minutes so that it doesn’t get too brown.
Do you bake the crust first?
No, that’s the beauty of this easy recipe! Everything bakes all at once. :) If buying store bought crust, I make sure to buy it unbaked. Sometimes I’ll make my own homemade pie crust too, depending on how much time I have. Both taste fabulous! Just be sure to cover the crust edges with foil for the last 20 minutes when baking. You don’t want them to get too brown and crispy.
Can you make it without evaporated milk?
Although I prefer to use evaporated milk in this recipe, you can substitute with heavy cream (use the same amount). The heavy cream will make it a bit thicker and have a custard-like consistency.
Can I use fresh pumpkin?
Sure! Your pumpkin pie will be super moist and delicious! Just be sure to drain out the liquid from the fresh pumpkin with a paper towel. Pumpkin that’s fresh holds extra water.
Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 15 ounces pure pumpkin (1 can, I use Libby's 100% pure pumpkin)
- 1 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- whipped cream for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add vanilla and spices and mix until combined. Stir in pumpkin. Gradually stir in evaporated milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into pie shell. Then place pie tin on a baking sheet and place in the oven to bake for 40-55 minutes or until the center is done. Place a knife in the center to make sure it comes out clean. Also, I usually cover the crust with foil the last 20 minutes of baking so it doesn’t get too brown.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with homemade whip cream. :)