Tortellini Sausage Soup …the perfect soup for cold days and chilly evening! This is my husband’s favorite, and you’ll soon find out why – easy to make, and so incredibly delicious!
Today I’m sharing one of my husbands favorite soups: Tortellini sausage soup. This recipe comes from my Aunt Jane’s ‘Favorites’ cook book and it’s perfect on a cold winter day! I first had this soup a few years back at our annual gingerbread contest and have remembered it ever since. I made a few adjustments to the recipe and love how it turned out!
PS- Is anyone else freezing?! I’m going into cold shock with this Ohio weather. Apparently this isn’t even “cold” yet. I think I will make soup every night for dinner next six months… then top it off with some hot apple cider. ;) Get ready for lots of soup recipes. ;)
Hope you enjoy this family favorite recipe!
Tortellini Sausage Soup
- 1 pound mild italian sausage
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper , or black pepper
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine , or apple juice
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoon chopped parsley , more to taste
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini , refrigerated or frozen
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pan, brown sausage over medium heat. Remove extra fat and add chopped onion. Cook for 2 minutes and then add in the garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until onions are tender.
- Next add broth, tomatoes, water, wine, carrots, celery, Italian seasoning and parsley. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Add tortellini 5 to 10 minutes before serving and cook until tender. S&P to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with fresh Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.
What’s your favorite soup?
If you liked this post, you’ll love these soup recipes too: