Sausage Tortellini Soup – The perfect comfort soup for cold days and chilly evenings. This tortellini soup is my husband’s favorite and you’ll soon find out why – it’s easy to make and so incredibly delicious!
With all the cold weather recently, soup recipes have been my go-to. There’s something about a warm bowl of soup that’s so comforting and delicious. This sausage and tortellini soup is one of my favorites, as well as crockpot potato soup, chicken pot pie soup, taco soup and lasagna soup.
This Italian sausage tortellini soup is one of my husband’s favorites! The recipe comes from my Aunt Jane’s “Favorites” cookbook and is perfect on a cold winter day! I first tried it a few years back at our annual gingerbread contest and have remembered it ever since. I made a few adjustments to the original tortellini soup recipe and love how it turned out!
This sausage soup is so easy to make and tastes incredibly delicious. It’s hearty, comforting and full of flavor. Plus I love the added texture and cheesy taste that the tortellini gives it. Trust me, once you make this sausage tortellini soup, it’ll become one of your fast favorites. Serve with homemade french bread or fresh rolls for the ultimate comfort meal!
How do you make tortellini soup?
This tortellini sausage soup is so simple to whip up! I love that it’s made in one pot in just 30 minutes. Check out the printable sausage soup recipe and video tutorial below.
- Brown sausage in a large pan and remove any extra fat.
- Add in chopped onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add garlic, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until onions are tender.
- Next add broth, tomatoes, water, wine, carrots, celery, Italian seasoning and parsley. Simmer until carrots are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- About 5-10 minutes prior to serving, add tortellini and cook until tender.
- Ladle into bowls and top with parmesan and parsley.
TIP: You could easily make this tortellini soup recipe in the crockpot as well! Just cook for 3-4 hours on high. I would just recommend cooking the sausage beforehand and adding the tortellini the last half hour!
How long does tortellini soup last?
This tortellini soup will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for about 3 to 5 days. Whenever I make soups with a tomato base, I like to use a glass container for storing so that it doesn’t stain. Sometimes the soup will thicken up a bit in the fridge, so feel free to add a splash of broth when reheating to reach desired consistency.
Can you freeze soup that has pasta in it?
If you are planning on freezing this sausage soup, hold off on adding the tortellini. The pasta doesn’t freeze well and will get mushy when reheating. Just freeze the soup in an airtight container without the tortellini. When ready to eat, boil some fresh tortellini while you reheat your soup. Then combine the two and you’ll have fresh (not soggy!) sausage and tortellini soup in no time.
Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 1 pound mild italian sausage
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper , or black pepper
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine , or apple juice
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-2 Tablespoons chopped parsley , more to taste
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini , refrigerated or frozen
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pan, brown sausage over medium heat. Remove extra fat and add chopped onion. Cook for 2 minutes and then add in the garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until onions are tender.
- Next add broth, tomatoes, water, wine, carrots, celery, Italian seasoning and parsley. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Add tortellini 5 to 10 minutes before serving and cook until tender. S&P to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with fresh Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.
Hope you enjoy this family favorite recipe!