The perfect comfort soup for cold days and chilly evenings. This sausage tortellini soup is my husband’s favorite and you’ll soon find out why – it’s easy to make and so incredibly delicious!
Table of Contents
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
With all the cold weather recently, soup recipes have been my go-to. There’s something about a warm bowl of soup with a piece of crusty french bread that’s so comforting and delicious. This sausage and tortellini soup is one of my absolute favorites!
This Italian sausage tortellini soup is one of my husband’s favorites! The recipe comes from my Aunt Jane’s “Favorites” cookbook and is perfect on a cold winter day! I first tried it a few years back at our annual gingerbread house contest and have remembered it ever since. I made a few adjustments to the original recipe and love how it turned out!
It’s so easy to make and tastes incredibly delicious. It’s jam packed with flavor and is super hearty. Plus I love the added texture and cheesy taste that the tortellini gives it. Trust me, once you make this sausage tortellini soup, it’ll become one of your fast favorite comfort meals!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Sausage: I like using mild Italian sausage because it has a nice subtle flavor.
- Tortellini: Feel free to use frozen or fresh tortellini.
- Onion, carrots, celery: The trifecta of flavor that gives the broth its boost.
- Garlic: A few cloves adds a nice balance to the veggies.
- Seasoning: Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper
- Tomatoes: The acidity of the tomatoes add a nice brightness to the veggies and cuts through the sausage.
- Broth: I use beef broth to give extra depth and richness to the soup.
How to Make Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Sauté. Brown the sausage in a large pan and remove any extra fat. Add in chopped onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add garlic, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until onions are tender.
- Simmer. Next add broth, tomatoes, water, wine, carrots, celery, Italian seasoning and parsley. Simmer until carrots are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve. About 5-10 minutes prior to serving, add tortellini and cook until tender. Ladle into bowls and top with parmesan and parsley.
- You can add in some fresh spinach or kale if you’d like. Mix the greens gently into the soup right before serving.
- For a little kick, sprinkle in some red pepper flakes. You can also use hot Italian sausage (instead of mild) for more spice.
- Feel free to include other veggies like zucchini or mushrooms.
- You can mix a parmesan cheese rind into the soup to add more flavor while it cooks. Then remove it right before serving.
- I used plain cheese tortellini, but you can also use spinach and cheese tortellini. If you can’t find tortellini, then cheese ravioli would also taste delicious.
You could easily make this recipe in the crockpot! Just add the ingredients to the crockpot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours. I would just recommend cooking the sausage beforehand and adding the tortellini during the last 30 minutes of cooking
Absolutely! Simply skip the sausage and swap the beef broth for a vegetable broth.
Storing + Freezing
- To store: This soup will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for about 3 to 5 days. Whenever I make soups with a tomato base, I like to use a glass container for storing so that it doesn’t stain. Sometimes the soup will thicken up a bit in the fridge, so feel free to add a splash of broth when reheating to reach desired consistency.
- To freeze: If you are planning on freezing it, hold off on adding the tortellini. The pasta doesn’t freeze well and will get mushy when reheating. Just freeze the soup in an airtight container without the tortellini. When ready to eat, boil some fresh tortellini while you reheat your soup. Then combine the two and you’ll have fresh (not soggy!) soup in no time.
Other soup recipes we have been making lately include this Italian wedding soup!
More Italian Soup Recipes
Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound mild italian sausage
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper , or ground black pepper
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup white cooking wine , or apple juice (optional)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-2 Tablespoons chopped parsley , plus more to taste
- 12-16 ounces cheese tortellini , refrigerated or frozen
- Fresh grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, brown sausage over medium heat. Drain fat and add onion. Cook 2 minutes. Add garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until onions are softened.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, water, wine, carrots, celery, Italian seasoning, and parsley. Simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Add tortellini 5 to 10 minutes before serving and cook until tender. Season to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with parmesan and parsley.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Hope you enjoy this family favorite recipe!