This easy garlic bread is simple to make with a homemade garlic butter that makes it an irresistible crowd-pleasing side dish! It’s toasty, flavorful and a favorite at dinnertime.
Table of Contents
Best 3-Ingredient Homemade Garlic Bread
This has been a staple in our house for years! My kids always request it whenever we have meatballs with spaghetti or cheesy baked ziti. It’s made with an easy garlic herb butter and is the perfect compliment to any Italian dish!
This easy garlic bread recipe is made with only 3 ingredients in 10 minutes or less! Whenever I make my homemade French bread recipe, I use the second loaf to make this quick garlic bread, but store bought works just as well.
There are plenty of ways to adjust the flavor based on preference. Add cheese for a cheesy version or enhance the garlic flavor with 2 cloves of crush garlic. Fresh parsley on top will add a pop of flavor and color!
Easy Garlic Bread Ingredients
This recipe only takes 3 simple ingredients and couldn’t be easier to make. If I’m in the mood for cheesy garlic bread, I’ll add some mozzarella and parmesan cheese and then garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- French bread: Buy a fresh loaf from the store or make your own homemade french bread or French baguette.
- Butter: Make sure it has softened so that it’s easy to spread. I let mine sit out for about 30 minutes beforehand, here is a refresher on how to soften butter.
- Garlic powder: This gets mixed with the butter for flavor. Add as much or as little as you like, depending on how bold you like your garlic.
How to Make Garlic Bread
Your kitchen will smell amazing with this easy garlic bread in the oven! It’s so simple to put together, then just pop in the oven.
- Slice the French bread loaf in half vertically (a bread knife works best for this). Italian bread works, too!
- Stir together the softened butter and garlic powder in a small bowl. You can also mix in parsley or cheese if desired.
- Spread the butter mixture evenly on top of French bread.
- Bake at 425°F for 5 to 10 minutes, or until it is lightly browned around the edges. Then slice each loaf into 6 pieces.
- Bake immediately after spreading the garlic butter on the bread, this bread is best fresh!
- Use all the butter. I know it may seem like a lot but it is what will make your bread moist and tender.
- Don’t overbake! This bread bakes quickly and all ovens bake differently, so keep a close eye on it.
- Cool slightly before cutting. It allows everything to settle as well as you won’t burn your fingers.
Favorite Ways to Serve
This recipe tastes absolutely amazing and pairs perfectly as an appetizer or side dish with so many dishes! We love to pair it with Italian recipes, but it honestly makes a great addition to any meal. Below are a few of my favorites.
- As a side with classic Italian dishes like lasagna or chicken fettuccine alfredo
- Dipped in your favorite lasagna soup or tomato basil soup
- Use it as a base to make a french bread pizza with your favorite toppings
- As a snack dipped in marinara sauce
- Served alongside an Italian salad or big chopped salad
- Use it to make a meatball sub or leftover spaghetti boats
Absolutely! Simply swap out the 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder with 3-4 cloves garlic, minced. Or even better, roast a head of garlic and mix in a few cloves with the butter before spreading on the bread.
I like French bread because of its texture and how well it holds up after being baked again with the garlic butter, but there are plenty of other kinds of breads that will work just as well, such as ciabatta or a baguette. Browse your grocery store bakery section and you might find a new favorite to take and bake!
This easy garlic bread recipe is so good when freshly baked! To make it even better, add cheese and fresh herbs such as parsley to elevate the taste.
No, unless you are reheating it to prevent drying it out. Otherwise, if you are baking it fresh keep it unwrapped to get those crusty pieces.
If you have leftovers, just store it in a zip top plastic bag at room temperature. I wouldn’t recommend storing in the fridge, as it usually makes it stale (it draws the moisture out of the bread). It will keep for about 2-3 days if stored in a plastic bag at room temp.
Reheat wrapped in foil in the oven for a few minutes, or use the microwave and heat for 10 seconds. Any longer than 10 seconds and your bread will become hard.
Alternatively, you can also freeze leftovers, too. If freezing a whole half loaf, wrap tightly in aluminum foil and then place in a zip top freezer bag. You can also add slices to a zip top bag and freeze that way. To reheat, place on a baking sheet and warm in oven for a few minutes.
Make Ahead and Freeze
Skip by frozen ever again and DIY your own frozen garlic bread, it’s so easy.
- Follow the recipe and prepare the bread with or without cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet and flash freeze in the freezer for about an hour.
- After bread is frozen wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then in aluminum foil. Store safely in your freezer for 3 months.
- When ready to bake, discard both plastic wrap and foil. Bake at 425 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
More Easy Bread RecipesBrowse all
- 1 (12-ounce) loaf French bread
- 4-6 Tablespoons salted butter , softened
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
Optional: 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 grated parmesan cheese, Chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Slice bread in half. In a small bowl, stir the butter and garlic powder until smooth. Add cheese and parsley, if desired. Spread garlic butter mixture evenly over the cut side of the bread halves. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake 5 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges. Slice each half into 6 and serve while hot.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!