Pasta e fagioli soup! This recipe tastes almost identical to Olive Garden’s pasta e fagioli (one of my all time favorites)! Not only is this recipe hearty and delicious but it is also pretty healthy! Perfect for a cold winter day.
We’ve been making this soup for a couple of years now and it is one of my families favorites! Everyone loves it. I found this recipe in a church cook book my mom gave me and have adjusted the recipe a bit since the first time I made it. I always like to play with the seasoning and measurements and try adding new things. It makes cooking fun!
We made this soup again last night and I knew I had to snap some pictures to share with you. We played in the snow all afternoon and this was the perfect meal to end our day. It is so so good and surprisingly easy to make!
Pasta e fagioli recipe -healthy and delicious!
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup onion ,finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic ,minced
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup celery
- 11.5 ounce can original V-8 juice
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 15 ounce can kidney beans
- 15 ounce can great northern beans
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar , can sub white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked ditalini pasta
For serving: grated parmesan cheese and chopped basil, if desired
- In a large pan brown the hamburger over medium heat. Add in salt and pepper and stir until combined. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery then sauté for about 5 minutes. Next add in the V-8 juice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, beans, vinegar and seasonings. Then simmer on medium-low heat for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the soup has been cooking for about 20 minutes, boil the pasta with 2 quarts of water over high heat for about 7 minutes, or until al dente (it will cook a little more with the soup). Drain, and then combine with soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Enjoy with grated parmesan and fresh basil if desired.
This recipe freezes up well too! You’ll love it!
Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day! :)
Here’s a few more soup recipes: