Creamy tomato tortellini soup topped with fresh parmesan and basil. An easy 30-minute meal that the whole family will love!
If you’re looking for an easy soup recipe, this tomato tortellini soup is it! It’s requires minimal ingredients and comes together in just 30 minutes. Some other easy favorites are chicken noodle soup, taco soup, pasta e fagioli and corn chowder.
Tomato and tortellini soup
This tomato tortellini soup is the perfect meal on a cold fall or winter day. It’s smooth, creamy and also very filling. You could lighten it up with low fat milk…but I have to say that the half and half just makes it absolutely delicious!
The best part about this tomato tortellini soup recipe is it only takes about 30 minutes to make. It doesn’t get better than that! This soup is perfect for those busy week nights where the last thing you want to worry about is dinner.
My whole family loved this tomato and tortellini soup, so it’s definitely a keeper in my book!
What’s in it?
What makes this creamy tomato tortellini soup so simple is how few ingredients it calls for. You can always add in extras like baby spinach, parmesan and chopped fresh basil.
- Tomato soup (2 cans)
- Half and half
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Cheese tortellini
- S&P to taste
How to make tomato tortellini soup
- Simmer soup and seasonings. Warm the tomato soup, water and half and half over medium-heat in a large pot or skillet. Next add in all of the seasonings and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook until tender. Then add in tortellini and simmer another 10 minutes, or until cooked and tender. If adding spinach, stir in and allow to cook for one minute.
- Add toppings and serve! Ladle soup into bowls and add parmesan cheese and basil if desired. Enjoy while warm!
- Fresh tortellini cooks faster, but frozen will work too. You may need to cook the frozen tortellini a little longer to get it tender.
- I use a 9 ounce package of spinach cheese tortellini. If you prefer more tortellini to soup, add a 16 ounce package. If you prefer more soup, then add in 1/2 cup more water.
- Can sub milk for half and half to lighten it up a bit.
- For an even creamier soup, add in another 1/2 cup half and half or 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese.
- If adding spinach, mix it in right before serving. It only needs a minute or so to wilt.
More soup recipes:
- Tortellini Sausage Soup
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- One-Pot Minestrone Soup
- Easy Lasagna Soup
- Hearty Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 21 ounces condensed tomato soup (2 cans)
- 1-2 cups water
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 9-16 ounce package cheese tortellini
- S&P to taste
Optional: 2-3 cups baby spinach, freshly grated parmesan, chopped basil
- In large pot or skillet, warm the tomato soup, water and half and half over medium-heat. Add in all of the seasonings and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Then add in tortellini and simmer another 10 minutes, or until cooked and tender. If adding spinach, stir in and allow to cook for one minute.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and add parmesan cheese and basil if desired. Enjoy while warm!
- I usually use a 9 ounce package of spinach and cheese tortellini. If you prefer more tortellini to soup, add in a 16 ounce package. If you prefer more soup, then add in 1/2 cup more water.
- If you'd like the soup creamier, add in another 1/2 cup half and half or 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese.
Mmm… Enjoy! What’s your favorite kind of soup?