Thick, creamy and absolutely delicious avocado smoothie that only takes 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make. The perfect springtime smoothie that’s fresh and full of flavor!
This popular green fruit (yes, avocado is a fruit!) isn’t just for making avocado toast or to use as a topping for salads or tacos. It can also be used as a secret weapon in so many healthy smoothie recipes to add more healthy fat and help create a smooth and creamy consistency.
I love everything about spring…green grass, flowers blooming, warmer weather and light and refreshing flavors. I get so excited once it’s finally here and love to cook with local produce that’s in season. Give me all the fresh, green and delicious fruits and vegetables!
One of my favorite ways to enjoy spring’s bounty is by making a refreshing smoothie. This avocado smoothie is one of my favorites because it’s smooth, creamy and packed with fresh fruits and veggies. It’s the perfect way to use up any ripe avocados you have sitting around. Both the avocado and frozen banana give it that perfect silky and creamy texture. It tastes so delicious that my kids even love this green snack!
Can you taste avocado in smoothies?
No, that’s the best part! They help to create a smooth and creamy texture and have the most subtle flavor. I personally can’t taste them at all, especially if there are other sweeter fruits included like bananas, mangoes, pineapple or peaches.
Picking a ripe avocado
When making a smoothie, you want the avocado to be ripe (but not brown) before adding it in. Here are a few tips to check if your avocado is ripe enough to use:
- The shell will be a dark green color and the stem should fall off easily and be bright green underneath (see picture above).
- When squeezed, it will feel slightly soft to touch. Not overly soft, but just enough that it will have a little give.
- It should smell fresh and not show any signs of skin discoloration (if it doesn’t, then it could have gone bad already).
To ripen an avocado fast: Place it in a brown paper bag with a ripe banana (or apple) and let sit on the counter over night.
To slow down the ripening process: Place it in the fridge! It won’t ripen any further and will stay fresh for about 5 more days.
Tips for the best avocado smoothie
- Cutting. Learn how to cut an avocado in half and easily scoop it out for your smoothies.
- Liquid first. Pour the milk in first before adding the other ingredients. This makes it easier to blend (and is gentler on your blender).
- Frozen bananas. If you want it extra creamy, use frozen bananas instead of fresh. It makes the consistency similar to a milkshake. :)
- Freezing extras. You can freeze any extra avocado. Simply add to a freezer bag and store in freezer until you make your next smoothie.
- Sweeten. If you like your smoothies on the sweeter side, add 2-3 teaspoons honey to taste.
- Greens. I prefer spinach because you really can’t taste it. You can also add kale (or any green of choice), however the flavor may be a tad bit more bitter.
- Other fruits. I like to use tropical frozen fruits in mine (mango, pineapple, peach). You can also use blueberries if preferred, however it will change the color.
- Extras: Feel free to add in extras like protein powder, collagen, chia seeds, flaxseed or bee pollen.
- Bowl. You could also turn this smoothie into a smoothie bowl and top with fresh fruit, toasted coconut and granola or muesli.
More smoothie recipes:
- 1 cup milk , more as needed
- 2 ounce small ripe avocado , halved and pitted
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen mango, peaches or pineapple , more as needed
- ice , as needed
Optional add in's: organic protein powder or collagen, chia seeds, flaxseed, honey or bee pollen
- Add the milk to the bottom of a high power blender. Then add the remaining ingredients on top.
- Blend just until smooth. Add more ice or liquid as needed. Sweeten with honey if desired. You can also add more frozen fruit to reach desired taste/texture.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy immediately.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!