Learn how to make avocado toast with this super easy recipe. Fresh creamy avocado, a squeeze of lemon, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper bring a crispy golden piece of toast to life!
Table of Contents
Healthy Breakfast or Snack
This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy a high protein, good fats, loaded with flavor breakfast! It’s great as is, but I also enjoy avocado toast with egg such as fried, scrambled eggs, or hard boiled eggs for even more protein. It keeps me fueled and filled for hours!
The best avocado toast is such a simple way to showcase avocados when they’re creamy, ripe, and in season. This quick and easy breakfast idea uses just a squeeze of lemon, and a sprinkling of salt, and pepper but feel free to switch up the seasonings as you desire. Mash your avocado to as smooth or chunky a consistency as you’d like or you can even just use the slices.
Adding some roasted garlic, a few red pepper flakes or a dash of everything bagel seasoning are great ways to kick it up a notch. However you eat your avocado toast, it’s the perfect way to start your day!
The Best Bread to Use
- Sourdough bread: It’s crusty on the outside and soft in the middle. The sourdough flavor tastes amazing paired with the fresh avocado.
- Whole wheat bread: Use whole wheat bread for a healthier alternative packed with whole grains, fiber and other nutrients.
- Homemade bread: Avocado toast is a must whenever we have a loaf of fresh homemade bread laying around. The flavor is out of this world!
- Artisan bread: For a more rustic taste, try using crusty Artisan bread. It makes the toast seem super fancy!
- French bread: This is great to use for smaller, snack size pieces.
How to Make Avocado Toast
- Toast your bread. You want your bread lightly golden around the edges and toasted enough to stand sturdy against all of the delicious toppings. Place on a plate.
- Mash avocado. Knowing how to cut an avocado properly can be a game-changer. You also want to make sure to use ripe avocados so they are nice and soft and mashable. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Slice and then place the flesh into a bowl.
- Season. Squeeze lemon juice over top of the avocado and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Mash avocado with a fork until you reach desired texture. Mashing your avocado separately and not directly on the toast won’t result in ripping your toast apart.
- Spread. Slather avocado mixture onto toast. Sprinkle with a little bit of Maldon flaky sea salt. Serve as is or with desired toppings.
What to Put on Avocado Toast
Use this basic recipe to build on with all of your favorite toppings and seasonings! Sometimes I even like to eat it with leftover deviled eggs.
- Roasted garlic
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
- Sliced tomatoes
- Pico de gallo
- Sliced red onions or pickled onions
- Grilled mushrooms
- Crumbled goat’s cheese or feta cheese
- Smoked salmon
- Scrambled eggs
- Fried egg
- Hardboiled eggs
More Easy Breakfast Ideas
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
How To Make Avocado Toast
- 2 slices bread , I prefer sourdough or wheat
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ lemon , juiced
- flaky sea salt & freshly ground pepper , more to taste
Optional toppings: Red pepper flakes, cooked egg, pico de gallo, bacon
- Toast your bread until lightly golden around the edges. Place on a plate.
- Remove pit from avocado and discard. Slice and then place flesh into a bowl.
- Squeeze lemon juice over top of the avocado. Salt and pepper to taste. Mash avocado with a fork until you reach desired texture.
- Spread avocado onto toast. Sprinkle with a little bit of maldon flaky sea salt. Serve as is or with desired toppings.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
My family has made avocado toast exactly like this for apx. 100 years. My Grandmother (probably her mother made it for her) made this for my Mother and she made it for us and I make it for my son. Favorite treat when I was a kid. My son had this for every meal for about a month straight when he was about 2. Ask him what he wanted for each meal and his answer was “acado toast”.
Love that your family has been making avocado toast for so long! It’s a favorite in our house too :)