Easy homemade muesli made with oats, dried fruit, nuts, coconut and cinnamon sugar. A healthy breakfast or snack idea that’s packed with fiber, protein, healthy fats and antioxidants!
Table of Contents
Muesli is one of my absolute favorite healthy snack ideas. It’s sweet, crunchy, chewy and loaded with good-for-you ingredients that will keep you feeling full and energized. There’s absolutely no baking or cooking required and it’s made in just 5 minutes from start to finish.
This recipe was inspired by my grandpa’s recipe. I’ve bought it premade a few times from the grocery store over the years, but have recently been making my own at home. It is so quick, easy and way less expensive!
The base of the muesli is made with rolled oats, craisins, almonds, coconut chips and a little cinnamon sugar to give it that sweet taste. This recipe is easy to double and very easy to customize to your own preference. Feel free to use your favorite type of nuts, seeds, dried fruit or add in extras like chocolate chips. It’s a super filling breakfast or snack that won’t put you in a morning or afternoon slump!
Muesli vs. Granola
Although both are made with grains, nuts, seeds and dried fruit, there are a few differences between the two. Granola is baked in the oven with oil and a sweetener, while muesli is raw and doesn’t include any extra fat or sugar. It’s a healthier alternative to granola that’s quicker to whip up since there’s no baking required.
Different Ways to Serve
Muesli is versatile and can be enjoyed a few different ways. Below are some of my favorites:
- Serve in a bowl with milk (similar to cereal)
- Over a yogurt parfait or yogurt bowl with fresh fruit
- Over cottage cheese
- Use it to make overnight oats
- Warm it up on the stove with liquid, similar to regular oatmeal
Tips + Variations
- Overnight oats. Place 1/4 cup of muesli in a jar with 1/3 cup of milk (more if desired). Stir and cover jar with a lid. Place in the fridge overnight and serve the next morning.
- Double. You can easily double or even triple the recipe to have extra on hand.
- Nuts. Feel free to swap almonds for chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Extras. You can mix in extras like pumpkin or sunflower seeds, chocolate chips, chia seeds or more dried fruit.
- Spices. Add a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, more cinnamon sugar or a pinch of sea salt.
- Roasting the oats. For more flavor and texture, you can roast the oats in the oven at 350°F for about 10 to 12 minutes (or until lightly golden). You can even roast the almonds and coconut on the same pan if you’d like.
The beauty of this recipe is that it makes enough to have extras stored in the pantry for a quick breakfast or snack. After you’ve mixed the muesli together, simply pour it into a covered container. It will stay fresh at room temperature for up to 1 month. To extend the shelf life even longer, you can freeze the mixture in a jar, zip top bag or freezer container. It will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup craisins
- ¼ cup coconut chips , or shredded coconut
- ¼ cup sliced almonds , or chopped pecans
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Optional: 1/2 cup wheat or oat bran, 2 Tablespoons pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- Combine the oats, craisins, coconut, almonds, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir until combined. Add any extra mix-in's as desired.
- Store in a covered container for 1 month or freeze up to 6 months.
- Serve in a bowl with yogurt or milk.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Easy and yummy! I ate it similar to hot oatmeal and loved it, but I’ll be trying the other ways you suggested too!
My husband is over the moon about this recipe. We order museli in bulk from Amazon but I love being able to make it. This recipe is really good!
I love making this for breakfast and to snack on. It’s so good BUT I don’t feel so guilty getting a second bowl since it’s healthy!
Exactly! The perfect healthy breakfast or snack :)
Yum! This looks so delicious and yummy! Can’t wait to give this a try! My daughter is going to love this!