This biscuits and gravy recipe is the ultimate breakfast comfort food! The soft, fluffy biscuits paired with the creamy sausage gravy are a match made in heaven.
Whenever we make homemade biscuits, this sausage gravy is also a must. It’s so easy to whip up and tastes amazing on top of a warm, fresh biscuit. Your taste buds will be doing a happy dance!
This recipe comes from the Magnolia Table Cookbook. I thought about posting it with the homemade biscuits recipe, but thought it deserved it’s own post! Sausage gravy and biscuits may not be the prettiest ‘brunch food,’ but they are always a crowd pleaser (especially for the men). Comfort food at it’s finest!
These homemade biscuits and gravy became a fast favorite in my household. We like to make them on the weekends or when hosting a brunch at our place. The biscuits are light and flaky, while the sausage gravy is creamy and hearty. Together they make the perfect pair. Believe me when I say that you need to make this recipe ASAP! :)
How to make homemade biscuits and gravy
BROWN. Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until brown, flipping halfway through. Transfer to a plate to let cool.
SIMMER. Turn heat to medium low. Then whisk in 3 Tablespoons of flour and a splash of milk with the sausage grease. Whisk in a little more milk until the sauce is smooth. Then whisk in the remaining milk. Bring to a light simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
SERVE. Chop the sausage and mix it in with the gravy. Season to taste. Serve the warm gravy over hot biscuits and enjoy!
Tips and tricks
Don’t drain the grease
No draining the grease after cooking the sausage! You want to use it when making the gravy. The flour and milk cook together with the grease to give it a stronger sausage flavor.
Once your gravy has finished simmering, you can adjust the consistency if needed. If it’s too thin, whisk in 1 additional Tablespoon of flour. If it’s too thick, add another Tablespoon or two of milk.
Bake the biscuits while making gravy
Prepare the biscuit dough prior to making the gravy. Then place in oven and bake as directed. While the biscuits are baking, get started on the gravy. The two will be ready around the same time, which means they’ll both be hot and fresh for serving!
What do you serve with biscuits and gravy?
Although biscuits and gravy can easily be eaten as the main course, you can serve them with other breakfast items too. If I’m hosting a big brunch, I like to serve them alongside a few of the below:
- Scrambled eggs
- Fresh fruit, such as my rainbow honey lime fruit salad
- Bacon or meat of choice
- Breakfast potatoes
- Hash browns
- Fresh orange juice
More delicious breakfast recipes:
Sausage Gravy Recipe
- 12 ounce package pork sausage (patties or ground; I used Jimmy Dean)
- 3-4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour (or as needed)
- 2 cups milk
- Kosher Salt & Pepper
For serving: Biscuits
- Cook the sausage patties over medium heat in a large skillet, until browned. Flip them halfway through cooking. Transfer the patties to a plate when cooked.
- Turn the heat to medium low and then whisk in 3 Tablespoons of flour with the grease and some milk. Whisk in the remaining milk until smooth. Bring to a simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. If it's too thin, whisk in another Tablespoon flour, or if it's too thick, add milk a couple Tablespoons at a time, until you reach your desired consistency.
- Chop the sausage and then stir it into the gravy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot over warm biscuits.