Biscuits and Gravy Recipe – The ultimate breakfast comfort food! The soft, fluffy biscuits paired with the creamy sausage gravy are a match made in heaven. These homemade biscuits and gravy are the absolute BEST!
Biscuits and Gravy
This recipe comes from the Magnolia Table Cookbook. I thought about posting it with the homemade biscuits I shared a few weeks ago, but thought it deserved it’s own post! Sausage gravy and biscuits may not be the prettiest ‘brunch food,’ but they are always a crowd pleaser (especially for the men). Comfort food at it’s finest!
These homemade biscuits and gravy became a fast favorite in my household. We like to make them on the weekends or when hosting a brunch at our place. The homemade biscuits are light and flaky, while the sausage gravy is creamy and hearty. Together they make the perfect pair. Believe me when I say that you need to make this biscuits and gravy recipe ASAP! :)
How to make biscuits and gravy
Making biscuits and gravy is a lot easier than you may think. Of course it starts with a good, WARM homemade biscuit and then comes the gravy.
- Cook the sausage patties over medium heat in a large skillet, until browned. Flip them halfway through cooking. Transfer the patties to a plate when cooked. Chop once cooled. You could always use regular breakfast sausage as well.
- Turn the heat to medium low and then whisk in 3 Tablespoons of flour with the grease and a little bit of milk. Whisk in a little more milk until the mixture is smooth. Then pour in the remaining milk and whisk until smooth. Bring to a light simmer and the gravy has slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. If it’s too thin, whisk in another Tablespoon flour, or if it’s too thick, add milk a couple Tablespoons at a time.
- Stir the sausage into the gravy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot over warm biscuits.
What do you serve with biscuits and gravy?
Although biscuits and gravy can easily be eaten as the main course, you can definitely serve them with other breakfast items too. If I’m hosting a big brunch, I like to make sausage gravy and biscuits as well as some of the items & recipes below.
- Eggs (scrambled, over-easy, fried, etc.)
- One of the following egg bakes: Ham and cheese quiche, Make ahead sausage and egg breakfast casserole or Mini egg frittatas
- Fresh fruit, such as my Rainbow honey lime fruit salad
- Bacon or meat of choice
- Breakfast potatoes
- Fresh orange juice, strawberry lemonade or blueberry mint lemonade
Love this biscuits and gravy recipe? You’ll like these other breakfast recipes too:
- Easy ricotta pancakes
- Overnight french toast
- Perfect crepe recipe
- Easy breakfast muffins
- No bake breakfast cookies
- 12 ounces pork sausage patties or gound (1 package; I used Jimmy Dean)
- 3-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or as needed)
- 2 cups milk
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
For serving: Biscuits
- Cook the sausage patties over medium heat in a large skillet, until browned. Flip them halfway through cooking. Transfer the patties to a plate when cooked.
- Turn the heat to medium low and then whisk in 3 Tablespoons of flour with the grease and some milk. Whisk in the remaining milk until smooth. Bring to a simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. If it's too thin, whisk in another Tablespoon flour, or if it's too thick, add milk a couple Tablespoons at a time, until you reach your desired consistency.
- Chop the sausage and then stir it into the gravy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot over warm biscuits.