These homemade biscuits are light, flaky and absolutely delicious! You can’t beat the perfect buttermilk flavor and fluffy texture. You’ll be making this recipe over store-bought any day!
Whenever we make a big Sunday breakfast or brunch, we almost always end up making homemade biscuits. They’re one of those classic breakfast favorites that everyone loves, as well as french toast, pancakes and waffles.
This might be a surprise to some, but homemade biscuits are actually pretty simple to make. And once you’ve tasted how light and flaky these biscuits are, you’ll be making them over store-bought any day! They have the perfect fluffy texture and and the buttermilk flavor truly can’t be beat.
I got this recipe from the Magnolia Table cookbook and am loving her new book! I went to their restaurant a few months ago and fell in LOVE with their homemade biscuits, so I couldn’t wait to make them when I got home. As soon as the book arrived in the mail, I opened it up and saw ‘Jo Jo’s Biscuits’ front and center.
Trust me when I say this recipe is incredible and is just as good as I remembered. These homemade biscuits are already a kitchen staple and are definitely now one of my favorite recipes!
How to make homemade biscuits
You only need 6 simple ingredients to make this biscuit recipe: flour, baking powder, baking soda, butter, eggs and buttermilk. I do have to say that the key to making these biscuits incredible is using real buttermilk instead of the milk + vinegar trick. Follow the simple steps below to get started.
Make the dough. Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Use a pastry cutter, fork or food processor to cut the butter into the flour until you’re left with pea-sized pieces.
Stir in the beaten egg with a wooden spoon. Then stir in the buttermilk just until the mixture comes together. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes.
Cut into biscuits. Place the dough on a floured surface and flour your hands. Press down with your hands and shape into a circle that’s about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into biscuits by using a floured round 2 3/4″ cutter. You will end up with 10 biscuits. Then transfer to a small baking sheet, so that all of the biscuits are touching.
Bake. Whisk together an egg with 1 Tablespoon of buttermilk, then brush the tops of the biscuits with the mixture. Bake at 400°F for about 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
Tips for the best homemade biscuits
- Make sure to use COLD butter (I like to place mine in the freezer for about 30 minutes prior to using).
- If you have time, place your bowl with the flour ingredients in the fridge for 30 minutes as well.
- Don’t overwork the dough. You want the ingredients to just barely come together and not be a smooth dough. Stir it just until combined. Then when pressing it out, do it ever so lightly.
- Use real buttermilk instead of making your own with milk and vinegar. It helps make them perfectly fluffy and soft.
- Make sure your oven is preheated and hot before putting the biscuits in.
Ways to enjoy them
What’s so great about homemade biscuits is that there are plenty of ways to serve them. Enjoy as a snack, as a meal or even as a dessert!
- Serve warm with butter and honey
- Top with homemade jam
- Make biscuits and gravy
- Add scrambled eggs and bacon to make a biscuit breakfast sandwich
- Make strawberry shortcake biscuits
More homemade bread recipes:
Homemade Biscuit Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose or self-rising flour , plus more for counter
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup salted butter, cold , cut into 1/2 inch pieces or grated
- 1 large egg , beaten + 1 for brushing
- 3/4 cup buttermilk , plus 1 Tablespoon for brushing
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Add the butter and use a pastry cutter, a fork or food processor to cut the butter into the flour until the pieces are about the size of peas.
- Stir in the beaten egg with a wooden spoon. Next stir in the buttermilk. Stir just until it comes together (should be sticky still). Add a little more buttermilk or flour if needed. Cover the bowl and refrigerate 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a small baking sheet.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface or silicone mat. Flour your hands and press down into a circle (about 1/2 inches thick). Use a floured 2 3/4" round cutter to cut 10 biscuits. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, so they are all touching.
- Whisk together 1 egg and 1 Tablespoon of buttermilk. Brush onto the tops of the homemade biscuits (you want need to use it all). Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with butter and honey or jam.