Soft and tender drop biscuits made with just 6 simple ingredients in less than 20 minutes. No rolling, cutting or yeast needed…it doesn’t get easier than this!
Table of Contents
5 Ingredient Easy Drop Biscuits
This recipe is perfect if you’re in the mood for homemade biscuits but want an easier alternative. They taste equally as delicious as the original version, but don’t require any rolling or cutting. You simply mix the dough, drop it onto a baking sheet and bake.
Several of you were asking me for a recipe that does not require yeast, so I wanted to get this one up for you in case you are out as well. These homemade drop biscuits are a great pantry recipe that uses every day ingredients you most likely already have on hand.
If you’re looking for a biscuit recipe that doesn’t require any rolling or cutting, this is it. They may not be as pretty, but they taste pretty dang good. I love having my oldest kids make them while I am prepping dinner. My whole family loves them.
These drop biscuits are super easy to make and perfect for when you want to make an additional side for dinner. They are so soft and tender. We love to spread homemade strawberry jam, cinnamon butter or simply butter with a little honey over top. These biscuits also work great for sausage and gravy or chicken pot pie with biscuits.
How to Make Drop Biscuits
MIX. Melt the butter in a small bowl, then pour in the milk and mix. Let sit for a minute, until the mixture looks a little clumpy. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Then add the buttermilk mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until combined. Make sure NOT to over mix, or you’ll end up with dry biscuits.
DROP. Using a large cookie scoop (or 1/4 cup or a large spoon), drop the batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet about one inch apart. You should end up with 8 dough balls.
BAKE. Bake at 425°F until the tops are golden, about 11 to 13 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush melted butter over the biscuit tops.
- Substitute the sugar with honey
- Use whole buttermilk in place of milk for an extra tender biscuit
- Mix in 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and fresh herbs
Freezing and Reheating
Whenever I make these drop biscuits, I love to double the recipe and freeze half for later. Simply bake the biscuits according to directions and let cool completely. Then place in a freezer bag or container and store in the freezer. When ready to enjoy, remove from the freezer to thaw and microwave until warm, about 10 seconds.
What to Serve with Biscuits
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Drop Biscuit Recipe
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter , more for tops if desired
- ½ cup milk , whole milk is preferred but also works great with 2%
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt ,regular or sea salt
For serving (optional): butter, honey, jam
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl. Then add the milk and let it sit a minute. It should start to look a little clumpy.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Then add the buttermilk mixture and stir just until combined. DO NOT over mix or they will be dry. Then use a large cookie scoop, 1/4 cup or large spoon to drop the batter on the prepared baking sheet. Place 8 dough balls about an inch apart.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and brush melted butter over the top if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Our family loves this recipe. It’s so easy. Thank you!
I’m so happy it was a hit with your family!
Worth the little bit of extra effort to make biscuits from scratch.
Made these with buttermilk and they were super easy and delicious! Making them for a second time already today because my husband liked them so much.
I’m so glad they were a hit! :)
These were awesome! Easy prep, not messy and sooo good! Thank you!
I’m so glad you enjoyed them! :)
P.S. I follow you on Instagram and I think you’re pretty awesome! #ForgetTheHaters
Oh wow…. I HAVE to try this asap. I love buttery biscuits. These ones are so SOOO easy to make.
I hope you enjoy! :)
These biscuits look incredible! I can’t wait to make them with dinner tonight!