Get ready for a breakfast fiesta with my Huevos rancheros recipe. It’s easy, customizable, and uses basic kitchen ingredients.
Table of Contents
Easy Huevos Rancheros
Do you love Mexican food recipes as much as I do? Then you’re going to fall for this easy huevos rancheros recipe!
This classic dish, known as “rancher’s eggs,” is all about crispy tortillas, creamy beans, and perfectly cooked eggs topped with flavorful salsa. It’s kind of like my favorite tostada recipe with a breakfast twist!
Why This Recipe Works
Now, you might wonder, why bother making Huevos Rancheros at home? Well, the answer is simple:
- Easy to make: Plus, the recipe is customizable!
- Basic ingredients: You might already have in your kitchen.
- Kickstart your day: Start the day with a burst of energy, thanks to the protein-packed ingredients.
Huevos Rancheros Recipe Ingredients
A few simple pantry staples are all you need for this quick recipe. Season your eggs and beans to taste, and don’t forget a pinch on the crispy tortillas for that extra oomph.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Eggs: Runny egg yolks from a sunny side up egg is my favorite!
- Corn tortillas: Frying the corn tortillas gives a great crunch, which goes perfectly with the creamy beans and eggs.
- Refried beans: Adds a creamy, savory base. Canned or homemade refried beans are both great!
- Cheese: Choose your favorite one or mix and match. Cheddar brings sharpness, Monterey Jack adds a mild creaminess, and Cotija cheese provides a salty kick.
- Pico de gallo: This is a bright mix of tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and lime that adds a zesty and tangy punch. You can also use your favorite salsa.
- Optional toppings: Sliced avocados, sliced sliced jalapeños, or a dollop of sour cream.
Substitutions and Variations
Let’s talk about spicing things up – literally! Here are some variations you might want to try:
- Spicy kick: Add some diced jalapeños, serrano peppers, or hot sauce to your pico de gallo for an extra kick.
- Beans. Use black beans or pinto beans instead of refried beans, if preferred.
- Veggie delight: Include sautéed bell peppers, onions, or spinach for a veggie-packed version.
- Protein: Add more protein like chorizo, bacon, or shredded chicken.
How to Make Huevos Rancheros
Let’s break down the art of making Huevos Rancheros into four simple steps.
- Fry tortillas: Heat oil in a skillet and fry corn tortillas until crispy (about 1 minute per side). Set aside.
- Cook the eggs: In the same skillet, crack eggs, keeping the yolks intact. Cook to your desired doneness, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Warm refried beans: Heat the refried beans until hot and spread on each tortilla.
- Assemble: Place a cooked egg on top and top with salsa, cheese, and cilantro. A squirt of lime juice is the perfect finish. Enjoy!
- Fresh is best! Use fresh ingredients, especially for the pico de gallo. The vibrant flavors will elevate your dish.
- The crispy tortillas add a fantastic crunch to the dish. Fry them up just right for that perfect texture.
- Cook your eggs to your liking, but a slightly runny yolk adds a luxurious creaminess to each bite.
Authentic huevos rancheros are a classic Mexican breakfast dish featuring fried eggs on crispy corn tortillas, topped with refried beans, salsa, and cheese. Known as “rancher’s Eggs”, it’s known for its delicious mix of textures and vibrant flavors, capturing the essence of Mexican cuisine.
While it’s best enjoyed fresh, you can prep some elements in advance like the beans and the pico de gallo. Just assemble right before serving to maintain that perfect balance of textures. You may want to try this overnight breakfast enchilada recipe, too!
Absolutely! Skip optional meat toppings and load up on veggies for a satisfying meat-free version.
While both are Mexican breakfast delights, huevos rancheros typically feature fried eggs served on tortillas with beans and salsa, while breakfast tacos can have a variety of fillings wrapped in tortillas.
More Breakfast Recipes
Huevos Rancheros Recipe
Optional toppings: sliced avocados, sliced jalapeños, or a dollop of sour cream
- Fry tortilla: Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in skillet. Fry the corn tortillas until they are crispy, working in batches as needed. This should take about 1 minute per side.
- Cook the Eggs: In the same skillet, add the vegetable oil and heat over medium heat. Carefully crack each egg into the skillet, keeping the yolks intact. Cook the eggs to over-easy or your desired level of doneness. Season the eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Warm the Refried Beans: In a microwave or on the stovetop, warm the refried beans until hot. Season to taste.
Assemble the Huevos Rancheros
- Spread a spoonful of warm refried beans onto each tortilla.
- Place a cooked egg on top of the beans on each tortilla. Then top with salsa, cheese and cilantro.
- Serve the Huevos Rancheros immediately while they are hot. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!