Festive candy cane popcorn covered in a buttery marshmallow coating. Sweet and savory with the perfect peppermint flavor.
We’re a big popcorn family and love to enjoy it as a snack or treat. Around the holidays, we always make fun variations like this Christmas popcorn, popcorn balls, peppermint bark popcorn and microwave caramel corn. So yummy!
If you’re looking for an easy and fun winter-time treat, this recipe is perfect. Popcorn and peppermint are both so delicious, so why not create a tasty treat that combines the two. Talk about perfection!
Most candy cane popcorn recipes use white chocolate, but we used marshmallows instead so that it would taste buttery like true popcorn. It’s more savory-sweet (similar to kettle corn) and is amazingly delicious accented by the bright peppermint flavor.
The best part is that this Christmas popcorn is crazy easy to whip up, which makes it the perfect neighbor gift this holiday season. Download our free gift label below for an extra special touch!
- Popcorn (Pre popped, microwave or stovetop popcorn)
- Peppermint Extract
- Candy Canes
The best way to crush candy canes
There are a few nifty ways to crush the candy canes into bite-sized pieces. My trick is to use a muddler or even a molcajete (used to make guacamole). It crushes them up super quickly!
You can also use a blender or food processer (only pulse 1-2 times). Or even add them to a ziploc bag and crush using a cup or rolling pin.
How to make candy cane popcorn
Melt butter and marshmallows
In a large pan, begin to melt the butter and marshmallows. While the mixture is melting, cook the popcorn in the microwave.
Crush the candy canes
Crush the candy canes into small pieces (check out the different crushing methods above). If you don’t have peppermint extract, try making it with double the amount of candy canes.
Combine all ingredients
Once marshmallow mixture has melted completely, turn off the heat and add peppermint extract, candy cane pieces and salt. Stir to combine, then gradually add in the popped popcorn. Keep stirring until popcorn is well coated.
How long will it last?
This candy cane popcorn mix will stay fresh for 3-4 days if stored in an airtight container or bag. It never lasts that long in our house though. :) You can enjoy it warm or cold – whichever way you prefer!
Great for gifting!
We filled the popcorn into these adorable red containers that are perfect for gifting. Just be sure to transfer the popcorn to the containers before it cools and hardens. This batch filled two containers perfectly so try not to snitch too much… if you can help it! ;)
FREE candy cane popcorn gift tags
Download and print our free printable popcorn gift labels to seal up your jars and then they’re ready to give.
More Christmas treats:
Candy Cane Popcorn Recipe
- 2 sticks butter
- 22 marshmallows (about half a bag)
- 3 bags microwave popcorn (plain or lightly salted)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 candy canes , crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Begin by melting the butter and marshmallows together in a large pan. While the mixture is melting, get your popcorn popping.
- Next crush up the candy canes. If you don’t have peppermint extract, try making it with double the amount of candy canes.
- Once the marshmallows are completely melted, turn off the heat and add peppermint extract, candy canes and salt. Stir to combine then gradually add in the popped popcorn. Be sure not to let any unpopped kernels into the pot. Stir gently until popcorn is evenly coated. Eat warm or cool - either way it’s delicious!
Originally written by Bettijo and Aimee from Paging Supermom for I Heart Naptime.