Microwave Caramel Corn – So easy, delicious and can be made in less than 10 minutes! Perfect for when you need a last minute treat. Your family will love this caramel corn recipe!
Caramel corn is one of my favorite desserts to make. My mom always made this recipe growing up and it’s one of my favorite desserts. The only thing that I don’t love about caramel corn is that you have to stir it on the stove for about 10 minutes. I’ve made a new version that has more of a brown sugar flavor and is made in the microwave. It is seriously so easy to make and can be done in less than 10 minutes! Perfect for when you need a last minute treat. :) I made this the last time we had friends over and everyone loved it!
Tips for making microwave caramel corn
- For chewy caramel corn, only cook the caramel for 3 minutes.
- For crunchy caramel, add an additional minute. If you find it isn’t crunchy enough, simply place the whole bowl in the microwave once it has been stirred together and cook in 30 second increments until you reach the desired consistency. Note: it will harden as it cools down, so don’t overcook it.
- Use fresh brown sugar for the ultimate flavor.
Ways to modify this microwave caramel corn recipe
- Try adding some mini chocolate chips or M&M’s for a hint of chocolate.
- Mix in some mini marshmallows.
- Want to make this microwave caramel corn more festive for a holiday or special event? Try melting different colored candy melts in the microwave and drizzle on top of popcorn. Check out the tutorial in this recipe.
- Add in some slivered almonds or nuts of choice.
- Take 1/4 cup of popcorn mixture and roll into balls to make an easy grab & go snack.
- Don’t like caramel? No worries! Try making my cookies & cream popcorn or cake batter popcorn.
Love this caramel corn recipe? You’ll like these other sweet snacks too:
Microwave Caramel Corn Recipe
- 10-12 cups popped popcorn , I used skinny pop
- 1/2 cup butter , cut into pieces
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Optional mix in's: chopped nuts, m&m's
- Place popped popcorn in a large bowl. Lay a piece of wax or parchment paper on the counter. Set aside.
- Place butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a microwave safe bowl. Cook for one minute. Stir and cook two additional minutes for chewy caramel corn. If you like hard caramel corn, cook an additional minute.
- Remove from microwave. Stir in vanilla and baking soda.
- Pour caramel over popcorn and stir until well coated. Dump caramel corn onto wax paper and allow to cool. Store in a zip top bag or airtight container.