This no churn chocolate ice cream is rich, creamy, ultra chocolatey and takes only 4 ingredients to make. The perfect dessert to cool off with this summer!
Table of Contents
No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
Easy chocolate ice cream is a delicious homemade frozen treat that can be prepared with just a few ingredients. With only 4 ingredients including cocoa powder, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate milk, and cream, it’s then frozen until the mixture reaches a creamy consistency. The result is a smooth and rich chocolate dessert that satisfies any sweet tooth.
This is a no churn recipe, so you won’t need to pull out your ice cream machine, ice or salt for this one. All you need is an electric mixer and mixing bowl…that’s it! It only takes 10 minutes to prep, then just let it freeze until the mixture is set. Seriously it’s so easy, we love to use it in this mud pie recipe!
This recipe is made with a delicious milk base. We drink a lot of milk around our house and during the summer we love to make frozen desserts with chocolate milk and we use leftover Greek yogurt for these homemade popsicles. I love when recipes are so easy that even my kids can make it. Win!
Tips + Variations
- Chill the bowl and beaters. Stick your bowl and beaters in the freezer about 10 minutes before getting started. You want them COLD so that the stiff peak will form faster when mixing.
- Full fat ingredients. Using full fat milk, heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk makes all the difference. Trust me, it’s worth the indulgent! It helps makes the texture super creamy with a deliciously rich flavor.
- Freezing time. This ice cream takes about 4 to 5 hours to firm up into a scoop-able consistency, so make sure to plan the freezing time into your schedule if you’re hosting an event!
- Soften. Before enjoying, let it soften a bit on the counter before scooping. It also helps to run your ice cream scoop under hot water before using.
- Vanilla version. If you prefer a vanilla flavor, try this easy no churn ice cream with any type of mix-in you prefer.
- Berries: Add fresh berries like I do in my favorite strawberry ice cream.
- Ice cream maker. If you’re looking for more of a traditional recipe made in an ice cream maker, try my favorite homemade ice cream.
Favorite Mix-In’s to Add
You can enjoy it plain, or add different mix-in’s. Start with about 1/2 cup of any of the below, then add more if desired. Crushed Oreo’s are our favorite…my kids LOVE them!
- Crushed Oreo’s
- Chocolate chips
- Crushed Reese’s
- Crushed M&M’s
- Edible cookie dough pieces
- Homemade brownie pieces
How to Store Chocolate Ice Cream
I love pouring the mixture into a bread loaf pan to store. I find it’s the perfect size and makes scooping extra easy! However any 9×9″ pan or 2-quart container will work. Just make sure to cover tightly with plastic wrap if using a loaf pan to avoid any freezer burn. It will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Yes! It’s very creamy and has a velvety texture from the whipping cream. Whipped cream is what makes this frozen treat so creamy!
Stored covered near the back of the freezer it can last a few months. That is if it doesn’t get eaten first. If ice crystals start to form, it’s time to toss the ice cream.
You should get roughly 5-6 cups of homemade chocolate ice cream. The recipe will serve 12, but that really depends on how big your chocolate craving is!
Sure! If you would like to, you can! The beauty of this recipe is that you do not an ice cream maker, though! If you decide to use it, I would only churn it for 10-15 minutes to avoid ice crystals forming.
More Frozen Desserts for Summer
Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 pint heavy cream , 2 cups
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Optional mix in's (start with 1/2 cup): crushed OREO's, Reese's, M&M's
- In a large chilled bowl, beat the heavy cream on high speed until a peak has formed (about 3-5 minutes). Once a peak forms, slowly add in the chocolate milk with the beaters still running.
- Fold in the sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder and any mix in’s.
- Pour into a 9×9" pan or 2 quart container. Freeze until set (about 4 to 5 hours). Allow to soften slightly on the counter. Scoop and serve!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!