Creamy vanilla ice cream mixed with toasted marshmallows, crushed graham crackers and rich chocolate swirls. This easy s’mores ice cream is the ultimate summer treat!
Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream
S’mores are a summer time classic. It doesn’t get better than gooey marshmallows and a sweet chocolate bar sandwiched between crunchy graham crackers. That is, until you’ve tried this delicious s’mores ice cream.
I might like this fun variation better than the traditional campfire s’mores. With hot summer days, this s’mores ice cream recipe is the perfect way to enjoy those same delicious flavors in a cool and refreshing form.
It starts with a vanilla ice cream base, then has all those famous s’mores mix-in’s like toasty marshmallows, chocolate swirls and crushed graham crackers pieces. Every bite is absolute perfection!
This delicious dessert is bound to be one of your favorite ice cream recipes and will quickly become a staple summer treat that your family will swoon over. My kids couldn’t get enough!
- Heavy cream and milk: The base of the ice cream is made with a mix of heavy whipping cream and whole milk. Using the full fat varieties for the cream mixture will give you the creamiest texture and best flavor.
- Sugar: Fine granulated sugar is used to sweeten the dessert.
- Salt: You just need a pinch to enhance and balance out the flavor.
- Vanilla: Using a high quality pure vanilla extract will give you the best taste.
- Marshmallows: Mini marshmallows are the best size for this recipe. Broil them first before adding them in, so that the tops get golden and delicious.
- Chocolate: Use your favorite type of chocolate, whether that’s semi-sweet, bittersweet, milk or dark chocolate. You can either use a chopped chocolate bar or chocolate chips.
- Graham crackers: Adds great crunch and gives this dessert that classic s’mores taste. Crush the graham cracker sheets into small pieces before adding in.
How to Make S’mores Ice Cream
- Broil the marshmallows. For a golden exterior just like the traditional campfire s’mores, spread the marshmallows onto a baking sheet and broil for about 1 minute. Make sure to keep an eye on them, as they can burn quite easily. Remove them from the oven when the tops are lightly toasted.
- Mix the base. Before churning, it’s important to whisk together the base ingredients. Pour the heavy cream, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla into the base of your ice cream machine and stir until combined.
- Melt the chocolate. Place chocolate in a bowl and microwave until melted and smooth. I like to microwave my chocolate in increments at 50% power for the best results. Learn more tips for how to melt chocolate.
- Churn. Pour the milk mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to machine instructions. After about 10 minutes, drizzle in the melted chocolate, toasted marshmallows and graham cracker pieces. Churn for about 15 more minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.
- Freeze. Transfer the mixture into an airtight container (I like to use a bread pan) and freeze until firm. This usually takes about 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve. Scoop into bowls and add more mini marshmallows or graham crackers on top if preferred. Then give it a drizzle of hot fudge sauce for good measure!
- Prepare your ice cream machine. Some machines require you to freeze the bowl first while others need you to have ice and rock salt, so make sure to follow the instructions before getting started.
- Let soften. After freezing the mixture for 3 to 4 hours, it will have a harder consistency. Allow the container to soften on the counter for a few minutes before scooping.
- Scooping. Run your ice cream scooper under hot water for about 30 seconds to a minute to make scooping it out even easier.
- Quantity. You’ll end up with about 1.25 quarts of s’mores ice cream after making this recipe. If you are serving a crowd, feel free to make two separate batches to double the recipe.
Storing S’mores Ice Cream
It will stay fresh in a covered container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Before serving, let thaw on the counter for a few minutes to soften.
More Fun S’mores DessertsBrowse all
Below are a few more fun ways to enjoy a twist on the classic s’mores.
S’mores Ice Cream
Depending on machine: Ice and Rock salt
Optional toppings: Hot fudge, Caramel sauce
- Prep your ice cream machine according to package directions. Some machines require you to freeze the bowl first while others need you to have ice and rock salt.
- Preheat the oven to broil setting. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread marshmallows into an even layer on the baking sheet. Broil 1 minute, or until golden on top. Watch carefully, they can burn quickly. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate. Microwave 1 minute at 50% power. Remove and stir. Microwave in 15 second increments, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- In a bowl or the base of your ice cream container, combine heavy cream, milk, sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- To make the ice cream, follow instructions for your specific ice cream maker. After churning 10 minutes, drizzle in spoonfuls of melted chocolate, 3/4 of the toasted marshmallows, and graham cracker pieces. Continue churning 15 minutes, or until thickened to a soft serve. Store in an airtight container in the freezer 3 to 4 hours, or until firm.
- Scoop into a bowl when ready to serve. Top with the remaining toasted marshmallows. Drizzle hot fudge or caramel sauce over the top, if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
I hope that you enjoy this simple recipe for a summery s’mores treat!