This Oreo ice cream cake is absolutely delicious and so easy to make! The layers of hot fudge, cool whip and crushed Oreo’s make the perfect combination of chocolaty goodness.
Table of Contents
No Bake Oreo Ice Cream Cake
This recipe and mud pie are two of my favorite no-bake desserts to make during the summer. It’s easy, delicious, and such a refreshing treat when the weather is warm. If you’re a fan of a classic ice cream cake recipe, you’ll love this Oreo version.
I’m a huge fan of anything chocolate and believe me when I say that this recipe is the perfect combination of chocolaty goodness. Whether it’s the hot fudge, crushed Oreo or ice cream sandwiches, this recipe is made for all of you chocolate lovers out there!
While I love Oreo balls, Oreo dirt cake and this Oreo brownies recipe year-round, this is one of my favorite go-to recipes to make during the Summer and is always a hit with family and friends. My kids especially love it!
I made this dessert for my hubby’s birthday and everyone loved it! It makes the perfect dessert for a Summer birthday cake! And you can’t beat how easy it is to make. Summertime is so busy and our schedule gets pretty crazy, so having simple and quick dessert recipes is a must.
Ingredients for Homemade Oreo Ice Cream Cake
What I love about this recipe is that it comes together in a matter of minutes and you literally cannot mess it up! All of the ingredients taste amazing together….it’s like they were meant to be. The perfect combination!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Oreos: In a food processor or blender, crush two rows of Oreo cookies. You can leave the cream in the filling or remove it. Make your Oreos into fine crumbs. The cookie crumbs will be used in the layers and garnished on top.
- Butter: Melt the butter in the microwave. This will help bind the cookie crust together.
- Ice cream sandwiches: This is the ice cream layer! It gives just the right amount of vanilla ice cream for the ice cream flavor. The slices will show ice cream, fudge, and the chocolate outside of an ice cream sandwich.
- Hot fudge: Warm up your hot fudge sauce to help make the sauce drizzle and layer easily.
- Cool whip: Soften the cool whip slightly to spread over top the ice cream cake.
- Oreo crumbs: Top off your dessert with extra Oreo crumbs for appearance.
How to Make Easy Oreo Ice Cream Cake
This delicious Oreo ice cream cake recipe is so simple and takes only a few minutes! Just layer the ingredients, freeze and you’re ready to eat! It also saves great and is just as delicious the next day.
- Oreo crust: Smash Oreos in a zip lock bag with a rolling pin and spread on the bottom of a 9×13″ pan. Drizzle butter on top and mix with a fork. Then press the mixture down into the pan to form a crust.
- Ice cream sandwiches: Layer the first row of ice cream sandwiches evenly on top of the crust. Pour hot fudge on top, then add the second layer of ice cream sandwiches on top of the fudge.
- Cool Whip: Spread cool whip (or homemade whipped cream) on top of the last layer and then top with extra Oreo crumbs.
TIP: Make sure the cool whip has softened before adding it to the cake. This way you can easily spread it on top!
Tips for the Best Ice Cream Cake with Oreos
Use these helpful tips to make this ice cream cake even better! This delicious Oreo ice cream cake is one of a kind and can be used over and over again.
- Party time. If you are planning to be at a party, it is best to keep this cake frozen or as cool as possible before serving. Use ice packs or a cooler to store the Oreo cake properly.
- More flavors. Use a variation of ice cream sandwiches. There are mint chocolate chips, and chocolate for chocolate cake, even Neapolitan flavored sandwiches.
- Crushing Oreos. Use a food processor, blender, or a ziplock bag and something to pound. This will help smash and crumble all the Oreo cookies.
- Whip. For an extra touch to the topping, whip the cool whip with a whisk or electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks. This will thicken the cool whip and give more depth to the dessert.
- Cake pan. Line the pan with parchment paper to allow the cake to come out of the pan easier. Cutting the cake will be easier too!
- Slicing. Use a serrated or sharp knife to cut through the layers of the Oreo ice cream cake.
- Serving. Before serving, allow the Oreo cake to soften before cutting it. This may take up to 10 minutes.
This homemade Oreo ice cream cake is layered with Oreos, ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge, and ice cream with a whipped cream topping. It is the best combination! There are several variations but our family loves this one the best!
Not exactly! These Oreo ice cream cake layers are filled with ice cream sandwiches and hot fudge, not cake batter. There is not an actual cake in this recipe. There may be other recipes that do have cake in the layers, just not this one. The Oreo ice cream cake does look and appear to be a cake and is served like a cake for celebrations.
The most popular place to purchase is dairy queen ice cream cakes. They have a similar Oreo ice cream cake that is popular for celebrating!
5 star review
“My grandson Kaden requested this cake for his birthday. It was delicious!! Going to be a continued request from all family’s birthdays 😃🙂.“-Cindy
Make Ahead + Storing
This is the perfect cake to make ahead of time. All of the ingredients freeze beautifully. So feel free to prepare the cake as directed, freeze and then pull it out when you’re ready to serve. Just make sure to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or cover it with a lid so that it doesn’t get a freezer burn.
Once served, you can also re-freeze the cake if you have any leftovers. Simply cover and store in the freezer.
More Oreos Desserts You’ll Love
Oreo Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- 24 Oreos (2 rows)
- ¼ cup butter (melted)
- 24 ice cream sandwiches (2 boxes)
- 8-12 ounce container Hershey's hot fudge (warmed slightly)
- 8 ounces cool whip or homemade whipped cream, (slightly softened)
- Oreo crumbs for topping
- Crush Oreo's in a food processor or blender. Add melted butter and then press on the bottom of a 9×13" pan.
- Layer the ice cream sandwiches on top of each other in the pan (into 2 layers). You could do just 1 row if preferred. Pour the hot fudge in the middle of the 2 layers to hold them together.
- Spread cool whip on top and layer with extra Oreo crumbs. Store in the freezer until ready to serve.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!