Celebrate the holidays with this delicious homemade apple cranberry pie. Filled with caramelized cinnamon apples and cranberries and a flaky, golden pie crust. There is fresh fruit flavor in every bite!
Apple Cranberry Pie Recipe
Pies are one of my favorite holiday desserts. I usually always make a brown bag apple pie for Thanksgiving, but decided to switch it up this year and make an apple cranberry pie instead. It was so delicious and will definitely be on repeat each holiday season!
This is the perfect dessert to add to your Thanksgiving menu or Christmas dinner. There’s just something about ending your holiday dinner with a warm piece of pie. Especially this apple cranberry pie…it’s the best!
I love this recipe because it uses two of the most popular holiday fruits: apples and cranberries. They both taste amazing together and get perfectly tender and caramelized in the oven.
Apple Cranberry Filling
Start by making the fruit filling. In a bowl, mix together the sliced apples, lemon juice, almond extract and cinnamon until well coated. Then gently fold the fresh cranberries into the mixture.
Next melt the butter in a saucepan, then whisk in the all-purpose flour (this helps thicken the filling). Make sure to continue whisking the flour so that it doesn’t burn. Then add the water and sugars and cook until the sugar has dissolved completely. This will take about 2 minutes (keep stirring the whole time). If it thickens up too much, add an extra spoonful of water to thin it out.
Immediately pour the sugar mixture into the bowl with the fruit and toss to combine. It may start to clump up a little, which is totally fine.
Now that the filling is made, it’s time to assembly your pie. Just follow these simple steps:
- Prepare. Roll out the dough, then place into the bottom of a 9″ pie pan. Pour the filling on top, then cover with the remaining dough. Press the two pie crusts together and then either flute the edges or seal with a fork. Make sure to cut a few small slits in the center to allow the steam to escape when baking.
- Egg wash. For an extra shiny golden finish, you can add an egg wash on top of the dough. Whisk together 1 egg (or egg white) and 1 Tablespoon of water. Then brush the mixture on top of the dough before baking.
- Bake. Place the pie pan onto a baking sheet to catch any of the filling in case it bubbles over. Then bake at 375°F for about 65 minutes. If you notice the crust is getting too brown, you can tent it with foil. Then remove from the oven and let sit until it has completely cooled (about 4 hours).
Learn how to make a lattice pie crust with these simple tips and tricks. It’s easier than you think to weave the pattern, and makes all the difference in appearance. You’ll have a next-level, show stopper pie to serve at your holiday dinner!
Baking tips + Variations
- Make the pie crust ahead of time and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
- You can also make the whipped cream in advance and store it in the fridge. Just make sure to make stabilized whipped cream so that it doesn’t deflate.
- Use crisp apples when making the filling (like honey crisp or granny smith). Don’t choose soft varieties or else they’ll get mushy when baking.
- Feel free to add a crumble topping or streusel topping (instead of a pie crust) on top if preferred.
- Allow the pie to cool completely before serving. The sauce will thicken as it cools. I love to bake it the day before Thanksgiving. That way it’s one less thing to make on the big day and it has time to fully set. You can always reheat slices later if you prefer it warm.
More Holiday Pie Recipes:
Apple Cranberry Pie
- 1 pie dish
Optional: 1 egg for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Combine apples, lemon juice, almond extract and cinnamon in a large bowl. Gently fold in cranberries.
- Add the butter to a small saucepan and melt over medium heat. Then whisk in flour, stirring continuously. Next add the water, sugar and brown sugar. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring consistently for 2 minutes, or until not longer gritty. Add an extra Tablespoon of water if needed to thin. Then immediately pour over apple filling and toss to combine. It will clump a little and that's okay.
- Roll out the crust on a lightly floured surface. Then place into a 9" pie pan. Then place the apple filling inside and then lay the 2nd crust over the top. Press the two pie crusts together and then flute the edges or press down with a fork. Cut a couple slits into the top of the pie with a knife.
- If desired you can add an egg wash on top. Whisk 1 egg or egg white with 1 Tablespoon of water. Brush over the top of the pie before baking for a shiny golden finish.
- Place pie dish onto a baking sheet and then place in the oven. Bake for 65 minutes. If the crust is browning too fast, cover with foil. Remove pie from oven and allow to cool completely (about 4 hours).
- Serve the pie with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top if desired.