Creamy and flavorful egg salad served on toasted whole grain bread with crisp green lettuce leaves. This delicious egg salad sandwich is the perfect easy lunch or dinner idea that takes just 10 minutes to make!
Egg salad is the perfect way to transform plain hard boiled eggs into a creamy and textured mixture that tastes amazing served over whole wheat bread. Pile on your favorite toppings like fresh leaf lettuce, sliced avocado and crispy bacon for the ultimate sandwich recipe.
Whenever we have leftover boiled eggs sitting in the fridge, this is my favorite way to use them up. In just 10 quick minutes, you’ll have a totally new dish that’s loaded with flavor, has an amazing consistency and tastes delicious over toasted bread.
Make this egg salad recipe your own by adding some fresh herbs, a dash of hot sauce or mixing in some everything bagel seasoning. There are tons of ways to customize the flavor to your taste. Then add your favorite toppings, cut the sandwich in half and serve with some some fresh fruit or sliced vegetables.
Tips for best egg salad sandwich
- Toast the bread. This is important if you want to avoid your bread getting soggy. The toasted bread will stay crisp and sturdy after adding the creamy egg salad base.
- Don’t overfill. As tempting as it is, try not to pile your sandwich too high with egg salad. A good rule of thumb is to leave about a 1/2 inch of room from the edges. This way, when you go in to take a big bite, it won’t overflow out of the sides and onto your plate.
- Use a serrated knife. It’s best to use a bread knife when cutting your sandwich. The serrated edges help to make a straight and clean cut through the thick pieces of bread.
I’m a toppings girl, so of course I love to load on a few extras when making my sandwich. Below are some topping ideas that taste delicious!
- Green leaf lettuce
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced avocado
- Crispy bacon
- Chopped chives
- Bread substitutes. Instead of bread, try serving in a flour tortilla, over a lettuce wrap or spread on top of crackers. You can also make an open-faced sandwich using just one piece of bread.
- Healthier swap. Replace mayo with Greek yogurt or light mayo for a lighter alternative.
- Crunch. Mix in some chopped celery for an added crunch.
- Flavor variations. Add more flavor by mixing in a spoonful of fresh dill or add a dash of hot sauce (or paprika) for some heat.
- Pickle juice. You may also use lemon juice or white vinegar in place of pickle juice.
More easy lunch ideas:
- Chicken salad croissant
- Grilled cheese
- Chicken club lettuce wraps
- Grilled caprese sandwich
- Chicken caesar wrap
Egg Salad Sandwich
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1-2 teaspoons pickle juice, lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 4 slices bread , toasted
- 4 lettuce leaves
S&P, to taste
- Peel and chop the eggs. Then place in a medium size bowl. Stir in the mayo, pickle juice and mustard. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. If the egg salad is properly stored in an air tight container, it will stay fresh up to 3 days.
- Serve on toasted bread with lettuce, chives and extra pepper if desired.
- Add 1-3 teaspoons fresh dill for a fresh twist
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped chives
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!