Grilled caprese sandwich stuffed with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil pesto! Takes 10 minutes or less and requires just 5 simple ingredients!
Table of Contents
Crispy Grilled Summer Sandwich
One of my all-time favorite sandwiches is a grilled caprese sandwich. I’ve been making them for years and then one day I had one at a local restaurant that put pesto inside. My mind was blown! My all-time favorite sandwich just got even better! Seriously, it is so good.
Plus this sandwich is super easy to make. It’s basically like making a fancy grilled cheese sandwich and takes 10 minutes or less just like my chicken Caesar wrap. Can’t beat that! ;) The bread is perfectly crispy and the flavor combinations are amazing just like my easy Caprese salad. I love how gooey the mozzarella gets too. Mmm…I might have to make this for lunch again today!
Ingredients for Caprese Sandwich
Caprese grilled cheese sandwiches are simple to make and have so much flavor! The combination of mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and pesto gives a soft, sweet, and crunchy bite with every bite. A light and tasty lunch or dinner that is satisfying in every way!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Sourdough bread: Has a unique flavor that blends well with the layered ingredients.
- Butter: Spread the butter on the two outside pieces of bread to give a crispy outside layer on the bread.
- Basil pesto: Make a homemade basil pesto or have it store-bought.
- Tomato: Sliced tomatoes add a zesty and flavorful combination.
- Mozzarella cheese: Slice about 1/4 inch thick to match the tomatoes. The two together are the perfect combination!
How to Make an Easy Caprese Sandwich
This is a simple caprese sandwich that is light and tasty in every bite. Layer the sandwich and cook the sandwich on a grill pan, griddle, or panini press. An easy sandwich that can be made for a quick lunch!
- Prepare. Warm a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Butter both sides of your bread and then grill one side.
- Cook. Once it has lightly browned, flip the bread over to brown the other side. Turn the heat to low. Then spread the pesto on the grilled side and the cheese on top.
- Golden brown. Allow the cheese to melt a little, then place tomatoes on top of the cheese followed by the top piece of bread. Turn the heat off if browning too fast and allow the sandwich to sit in the skillet until melted.
Tips for the Best Caprese Sandwich
Make the perfect caprese sandwich with these helpful tips. Choose the right bread, butter is perfect, and make homemade pesto for the best caprese sandwich. This combination layered together makes a great dinner every time!
- Use good quality bread. This really does make a huge difference in taste and crispiness. Look for bread that’s thick and fresh, such as sourdough bread from your local bakery. It makes the sandwich taste like it came straight from the deli!
- Butter the bread. Another key to a super flavorful and crispy sandwich is buttering the bread before frying. Spread the butter evenly on top of each slice of bread, then place that side down onto the pan to fry. It adds amazing flavor and makes the outside super crispy and delicious!
- Homemade pesto. This isn’t a necessity, although making homemade basil pesto really takes this sandwich over the top. If you have lots of basil in your garden, this is the perfect way to use it. You can even make a vegan pesto without the cheese!
- Cheese. Another reason this sandwich is so delicious is all of that melted mozzarella cheese. The key here is to buy a block of mozzarella and cut it into thick slices (about 1/4 inch). Once it melts, it gets super gooey and delicious.
Tasty Additions to your Sandwich
This grilled caprese sandwich is perfect for adding more toppings. Try adding more meat, greens, and even slices of avocados. Take your sandwich to the next level!
- Balsamic. To give it that true caprese taste, add a small drizzle of balsamic glaze over top of the tomatoes. Absolute perfection!
- Meat. This sandwich would also taste delicious with sliced cooked chicken added in.
- Arugula. It’s sturdy in structure with a subtle peppery taste, making it the perfect way to pack more greens into your sandwich.
- Garlic powder. After buttering the bread, add a sprinkle of garlic powder on top for even more flavor. It’s basically like making a sandwich with your favorite garlic bread!
- Avocado. Adding a few slices of fresh avocado is always a good idea!
A grilled caprese sandwich has tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. Some sandwiches have arugula, balsamic vinegar, or other toppings that boost the sandwich with flavor and texture.
A caprese sandwich can be a healthy option for a meal every once in a while. It is light and has healthy fats and vitamins from the mozzarella and tomatoes.
Caprese is called caprese because the salad is named after the Island of Capri when it originated. Its origin came from appeasing the palates of vacationing royalty and important politicians.
Caprese is known as a salad consisting of slices of mozzarella and tomatoes, basil, with olive oil or Italian dressing.
Mozzarella cheese is a low-fat cheese with low calories. It also contains probiotics.
5 star review
“Seriously, the best!! I love caprese dishes & this sandwich did not disappoint. Super easy to make & lots of flavor!”-Natalie
More Caprese Inspired Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Grilled Caprese Sandwich
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1-2 Tablespoons butter
- 1-2 Tablespoons basil pesto
- 1 tomato , sliced
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese , about 1/4 inch thick
- Warm a skillet or frying pan over medium-heat. Butter both sides of your bread and then grill one side.
- Once it has lightly browned, flip bread over to brown other side. Turn the heat to low. Then spread the pesto on the grilled side and the cheese on top.
- Allow cheese to melt a little, then place tomatoes on top of the cheese followed by the top piece of bread. Turn the heat off if browning too fast and allow sandwich to sit in the skillet until melted.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
I love that you added pesto to this grilled caprese sandwich. Pesto is so yummy on just about everything!
So, this is one of my favorites!! I could eat it weekly! The basil pesto makes any sandwich amazing!
Seriously, the best!! I love caprese dishes & this sandwich did not disappoint. Super easy to make & lots of flavor!
Once you have this gourmet grilled cheese, you can’t go back. This with balsamic drizzle is my favorite!
I dont loke tomato but i think ill try this with poppy seed bread (my fave) and chicken- thanks xxx