These homemade flour tortillas taste just like they came from a Mexican restaurant. Only 4 ingredients needed and you’ll have warm tortillas made from start to finish in less than an hour!
Best Ever Homemade Tortillas
We’ve been doing a lot of shelf cooking lately and have been getting a little more creative in the kitchen. My family loves Mexican food, so we wanted to have a taco night a few days ago. We were out of tortillas, so I decided to make this homemade version from scratch.
These are traditional flour tortillas and taste so much better than store bought. There a lot easier to make than you would think too. I’ve tested a lot of tortilla recipes over the past couple months and this one is the best.
The best part about this flour tortilla recipe is you only need 4 ingredients and I bet you have everything in your pantry.
You’ll have warm tortillas made from start to finish in less than an hour. These flour tortillas taste so fresh and taste like they came straight from a Mexican restaurant! I may never buy store bought tortillas again.
Only 4 Ingredients
4 ingredients and you’ll have warm tortillas made from start to finish in less than an hour!
- All Purpose Flour: I prefer to use an unbleached flour. You may substitute with a whole wheat flour or use half the amount.
- Salt: Use a fine sea salt for best flavor.
- Baking Powder: No yeast needed for this recipe, the baking powder will help add the lift.
- Vegetable Oil: You could swap this out for a healthier oil like olive oil as well. You can also use lard if preferred.
How To Make Homemade Tortillas
Make the dough. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add in the oil and then slowly add the warm water and stir with a dough hook, pastry cutter, fork or your hands. Add just enough water until the mixture turns into a soft dough.
Knead and divide. Knead the dough for about 1 minute. Then portion out the dough into 12-16 dough balls. Press down on each piece of dough to form a small disk (but don’t roll them out yet). Then cover with a damp paper towel or kitchen towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
Roll out the tortillas. Place the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and begin to roll out with a rolling pin. You can also roll out on a floured surface. Press out circle from the middle, then turn 45° and turn again. Flip the tortilla then repeat on the other side until it’s circular in shape and about 8-10 inches.
Cook on pan. Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle to medium-high heat and cook each tortilla until the top begins to bubble and brown spots start forming, about 15 to 20 seconds.
- Make sure to use warm water and add a little at a time. You don’t want to add the water too fast or the dough will not combine properly.
- Use a damp cloth to cover the tortillas and let rest. This will help the gluten to form and make the dough easier to work with.
- If you try rolling the dough and it shrinks back up, let the dough rest for another 20 minutes.
- Use 2 pieces of parchment paper to roll out the dough to prevent from sticking and adding too much flour. You don’t want to add too much flour or they will be dry.
- A tortilla warmer is great way to store the tortillas, while you’re cooking. You can also preheat your oven to 175°F and place them on a baking sheet to keep them warm.
How to Store Homemade Tortillas
These tortillas are fine left on the counter for up to 24 hours. To keep them fresher longer, I like to keep them in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can reheat on a warm skillet or in the microwave.
These flour tortillas freeze very well. Before freezing, make sure to let them cool completely. Then transfer to a large freezer bag and seal the air out. One easy way to do this is to use a straw and suck the air out of the bag. This way the tortillas don’t get freezer burn. Works like a charm! Then store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, let thaw and warm in the microwave.
5 star review
“We made the homemade flour tortillas and they are a game changer. My daughter announced that we can never have store bought again.”-Gina
Our Favorite Ways to Use Tortillas:
- Tacos: use shredded chicken, salsa verde chicken, carnitas, taco meat or even make breakfast tacos
- Mexican Pizza
- Chicken for steak fajitas
- Buffalo chicken wrap
- Serve warm with butter and cinnamon sugar
- Use them to make cinnamon tortilla chips
- Quesadillas -just add cheese and warm until melted.
Homemade Flour Tortilla Recipe
- Whisk the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. I like to use a stand mixer with a dough hook. You could also combine with your hands, a pastry cutter, fork or wooden spoon. Then add the oil and then SLOWLY add the warm water and mix for one minute. Add just enough water until the dough combines into a soft dough.
- Knead dough for a minute on a floured surface and then divide the dough into 12-16 pieces. If you want 8-9" tortillas it will make 12 tortillas and 16 6-7" tortillas. Then press down with the palm of your hand to form a smaller disk (don't roll them out yet). Repeat with all 12 tortillas and then cover with a dampened towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- After the rest, place the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper to roll out the dough (this will prevent from sticking and adding too much flour). You're going to use a rolling pin and press out circle from the middle. Then turn 45° and turn again. Then flip the tortilla and repeat on the other side, until you have a thin 8-10" circle.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook 15-20 seconds (or until the top starts to bubble and you start seeing light brown spots), flip and cook and additional 15-20 seconds on the other side. Serve warm.