Perfectly crispy sourdough bread filled with gooey melted cheese and a rich, buttery flavor. This is the best grilled cheese you will ever try!
One of the all-time best sandwiches out there is a grilled cheese sandwich. It’s crispy, cheesy and super easy to make. Some of my other top sandwiches are a french dip, grilled caprese sandwich, egg salad sandwich, ham and cheese slider and a classic sloppy joe.
Grilled cheese sandwich
Grilled cheese is one of my favorite foods to make from my childhood and I don’t make it often enough. It’s such a classic and delicious meal that’s perfectly cheesy, crispy and full of flavor.
The key to the best grilled cheese is using good quality bread, like sourdough bread. It crisps up super nicely and is infused with that delicious buttery flavor.
We love to serve this grilled cheese with tomato soup on a cold day. Talk about comfort food at it’s finest. Trust me when I say, this is the best grilled cheese recipe ever!
The trick for the crispiest grilled cheese
Use good quality bread! You want to choose bread that’s thick, fresh and will crisp up nicely. My personal favorite is sourdough.
Another key tip is to melt the butter in the skillet first, then cook each side of your grilled cheese low and slow. The bread gets infused with amazing butter flavor and the edges get perfectly toasted. No burning at all!
What you need:
Bread: High quality, fresh bread really makes the difference. You want to use bread that’s sturdy and on the thicker side. I love to use sourdough, however white bread, whole wheat bread or multigrain would work too.
Cheese: I love to use a mix of cheese for more flavor. I use 2 slices cheddar cheese and 2 Tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese. Others types of cheese would taste delicious too, such as American, gruyere, provolone, swiss or pepper jack.
Butter: Melt the butter in the skillet before adding the bread. This helps the outside get perfectly crispy.
Mayonnaise: I love to spread a little mayo on one side of both pieces of bread. It adds another layer of flavor and also helps the bread get crispy.
How to make grilled cheese
Step 1: Heat skillet
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and let melt in pan.
Step 2: Spread with mayo, then place in skillet
Spread the mayonnaise on one side of both slices of bread. Then place both pieces of bread (mayo side down) in the skillet on top of the melted butter. Turn to medium-low heat.
Step 3: Add cheese and cook until crisp
Once the edges are lightly golden brown, flip the bread. Add more butter to the pan if needed to crisp the other side. Top one of the toasted sides with cheese and let melt. When the cheese is almost melted, add any desired toppings and then place the other slice of bread on top.
Soup for dipping
One of the most popular sides to serve with grilled cheese is soup! A grilled cheese sandwich dipped in a creamy soup just can’t be beat. Check out some delicious soup recipes below:
Gourmet grilled cheese ideas
If you’re looking to jazz up the classic recipe and make a gourmet grilled cheese – there are tons of delicious options. Here are some of our favorite combos:
- Crisp bacon, sliced avocado and tomatoes
- Add in pepperoni and dip in marinara
- Use brie and add thinly sliced apples or pears
- Add sliced turkey, bacon and avocado
- Philly cheesesteak style (thinly sliced roast beef, grilled onions and bell peppers)
- Classic tuna melt (just add tuna)
- Add pulled pork and BBQ sauce
- Use mozzarella and add pesto, spinach and tomatoes
More cheesy favorites:
- Gouda Mac and Cheese
- Cheesy Potatoes
- Cheesy Baked Ziti
- Garlic Cheese Rolls
- Cheesy Bacon Breakfast Skillet
- Smoked Italian Cheese Dip
Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 - 1 Tablespoon mayo
Optional add in's: deli meat, grilled onions, sliced tomato, fresh basil
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and allow to melt.
- Spread the mayo on one side of both slices of bread. Then place both pieces of bread (mayo side down) in skillet on top of melted butter. Turn to medium-low heat.
- Allow the edges to turn lightly golden brown and then flip. Add more butter to the pan if needed to crisp the other side. Top one of the toasted sides with cheese and allow to melt. Once almost melted, add any desired toppings and then place the other slice of bread on top.