Quick and easy Italian salad loaded with tons of fresh and flavorful ingredients. It makes the perfect lunch, dinner or side salad recipe.
Big Italian Chopped Salad
I don’t know about you, but sometimes I just crave a big, authentic Italian salad! I love how it’s loaded with lots of fresh veggies and flavorful ingredients. It makes the perfect lunch, dinner or even side salad.
This recipe is super easy to throw together and is ready in just 10 minutes. I love to bulk it up with salami and garbanzo beans for added protein. I also like to mix in some flavorful pepperoncini peppers and homemade croutons for the perfect crunch.
It’s like your favorite antipasto platter meets a green salad!
If we’re not enjoying this recipe as a main dish, we often serve it alongside pizza complete with a homemade pizza crust or pasta carbonara. The delicious flavor goes with these recipes perfectly! Trust me, this dish will become one of your favorite go-to recipes!
What Goes in it?
Feel free to add in extras like pepperoncini peppers or mozzarella balls for extra flavor. You could also add in chopped salami, pepperoni and marinated artichoke hearts to make it more of an antipasto salad.
- Mixed greens: You can use mixed greens, romaine, iceberg lettuce, spinach, bibb lettuce or kale.
- Veggies: I add in cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and red onion, but feel free to throw in veggies of choice.
- Garbanzo beans: I love the flavor and added protein these add!
- Olives: I like to add in sliced black olives, but you can leave them out if preferred.
- Cheese: Grated parmesan cheese is my favorite, however shaved or shredded parmesan would work too. Mozzarella and feta are other great options.
- Croutons: I love to make homemade croutons. They are so much better than store-bought!
- Optional mix-ins: Salami, pepperoncini peppers, extra veggies, chopped parsley or basil.
Traditionally this salad is served with a zesty Italian dressing. The mix of olive oil, red wine vinegar and loads of herbs and spices makes it the perfect compliment to all of the ingredients in the dish. It would also taste great with an easy vinaigrette, Olive Garden dressing or even balsamic dressing.
What to Serve With it?
You can easily serve this Italian salad as a main dish with salami or chicken. We sometimes even make breadsticks or garlic bread to go along with it. It also makes a great side dish served with pizza, pasta, soup and more.
- Pizza: Homemade pizza recipes or try this french bread pizza
- Pasta: Spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, baked ziti, alfredo, bolognese
- Soup: Pasta e fagioli, zuppa toscana, chicken gnocchi, lasagna soup
- Italian entrees: Chicken marsala, chicken parmesan, crockpot Italian chicken
More Fresh Salad Recipes:
- Mediterranean Salad
- Italian Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Caprese Salad
- Kale Quinoa Salad
- Olive Garden Salad
- 8 cups mixed greens , chopped fine
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , sliced in half
- 1 cup chopped cucumbers
- ½ cup garbanzo beans
- ½ cup olives
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup croutons
Optional mix-in's: salami, pepperoncini peppers, extra veggies, chopped parsley or basil
For serving: Italian dressing or Vinaigrette
- Chop the greens extra fine and place in a large bowl.
- Next add the sliced tomatoes, chopped cucumbers, garbanzo beans, olives and red onion. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese, croutons and fresh parsley over top. Add the salami and pepperoncini peppers if desired.
- Drizzle the dressing over top and then toss with tongs. Serve immediately.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!