Quick and easy Italian chopped salad loaded with tons of fresh and flavorful ingredients. This big Italian salad makes the perfect lunch, dinner or side salad recipe.
I love a big salad full of healthy and delicious ingredients. I make them often in the spring and summer when lots of fresh veggies are in season. This Italian salad recipe is one of my favorites, as well as big chopped salad, Cobb salad, Mediterranean salad or taco salad.
I don’t know about you, but sometimes I just crave a big Italian salad! I love how it’s loaded with lots of fresh veggies and flavorful ingredients. It makes the perfect lunch, dinner or even side salad.
This Italian salad recipe is super easy to throw together and is ready in just 10 minutes. I love to bulk it up with salami and garbanzo beans for added protein. I also like to mix in some flavorful pepperoncini peppers and homemade croutons for the perfect crunch.
If we’re not enjoying this recipe as a main dish, we often serve it as a side salad alongside homemade pizza. The delicious flavor goes with pizza perfectly! Trust me, this Italian chopped salad will become one of your favorite go-to recipes!
What goes in it?
Feel free to add in extras like salami or pepperoncini peppers for extra protein and flavor.
- Mixed greens: You can use mixed greens, romaine, iceberg lettuce, spinach, bibb lettuce or kale.
- Veggies: I add in cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and red onion, but feel free to throw in veggies of choice.
- Garbanzo beans: I love the flavor and added protein these add!
- Olives: I like to add in sliced black olives, but you can leave them out if preferred.
- Cheese: Grated parmesan cheese is my favorite, however shaved or shredded parmesan would work too.
- Croutons: I love to make homemade croutons. They are so much better than store-bought!
- Optional mix-ins: Salami, pepperoncini peppers, extra veggies, chopped parsley or basil.
- Dressing: Italian dressing, vinaigrette or balsamic.
How to make Italian salad
- Add ingredients to large bowl. Finely chop the mixed greens and place in a large bowl. Next add the sliced tomatoes, chopped cucumbers, garbanzo beans, olives and red onion. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese, croutons and fresh parsley over top. Add the salami and pepperoncini peppers if desired.
- Drizzle with dressing and toss. Drizzle with dressing of choice (we like vinaigrette) and toss with tongs. Serve immediately.
What to serve with it?
You can easily serve this Italian salad as a main dish with salami or chicken. We sometimes even make breadsticks or garlic bread to go along with it. It also makes a great side dish served with pizza, pasta, soup and more.
- Pizza: Homemade pizza, french bread pizza
- Pasta: Spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, baked ziti, alfredo, bolognese
- Soup: Pasta e fagioli, zuppa toscana, chicken gnocchi, lasagna soup
- Italian entrees: Chicken marsala, chicken parmesan, crockpot Italian chicken
Italian Salad Recipe
- 8 cups mixed greens , chopped fine
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , sliced in half
- 1 cup chopped cucumbers
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup olives
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup croutons
Optional mix-ins: salami, pepperoncini peppers, extra veggies, chopped parsley or basil
For serving: Italian dressing or Vinaigrette
- Chop the greens extra fine and place in a large bowl. Next add the sliced tomatoes, chopped cucumbers, garbanzo beans, olives and red onion. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese, croutons and fresh parsley over top. Add the salami and pepperoncini peppers if desired.
- Drizzle the dressing over top and then toss with salad tongs. Serve immediately.