EASY Vinaigrette Dressing – The perfect dressing for your everyday salads that comes together in less than 5 minutes! Simple to make with the best sweet and savory flavor.
I love to make a big chopped salad for lunch or dinner. It’s loaded with veggies and has tons of fresh flavor. I always top it with this basic vinaigrette and will often throw in some homemade croutons, hard boiled eggs or even some shredded chicken. Yum!
This vinaigrette recipe is so easy and is perfect for your everyday salads! It has delicious sweet and savory flavor and can be customized based on what you’re in the mood for. It tastes great on all types of salads, like a big chopped salad, Cobb salad, Mediterranean salad or mandarin orange salad.
Once you start making your own salad dressing, you won’t go back because it’s so easy to throw together! It takes less than 5 minutes to make, and requires simple ingredients that you probably already have in the pantry. This basic vinaigrette dressing starts with 3 simple ingredients: olive oil, vinegar and honey. Then I like to add in some dijon mustard and salt and pepper for a little extra flavor. Yum!
What is vinaigrette made of?
The base of this dressing calls for olive oil, red wine vinegar and honey, however I like to add in dijon mustard for extra flavor. I’ll also add a pinch of salt and pepper after that to finish it off. If you want to make a vinaigrette variation (like Italian vinaigrette or balsamic vinaigrette), check out the list below that includes measurements and instructions.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard (optional)
How to make vinaigrette
Scroll down for the printable vinaigrette recipe.
- Add all ingredients to mason jar. Combine oil, vinegar, honey and mustard in a mason jar. Add a pinch of S&P.
- Shake. Shake mason jar to combine ingredients.
- Serve and enjoy! Serve vinaigrette over favorite tossed salad. Store any leftover dressing in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Types of vinaigrette
- Basic vinaigrette: 1/2 cup olive oil + 1/4 cup red wine vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Honey dijon vinaigrette: 1/2 cup olive oil + 1/4 cup red wine vinegar + 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard + 1 Tablespoon honey. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Italian vinaigrette: 1/2 cup olive oil + 1/4 cup red wine vinegar + 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard + 1 Tablespoon honey + 1 teaspoon minced garlic + 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Balsamic vinaigrette: 1/2 cup olive oil + 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar + 1-2 Tablespoons honey + 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic + 2 teaspoons dijon mustard (optional)
TIP: To make a creamy vinaigrette, add 2-3 Tablespoons of mayo, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
What is vinaigrette used for?
Pasta Salads: Vinaigrette is the perfect dressing to add to pasta salads! A few of my favorites that use vinaigrette are orzo salad, Italian pasta salad, pesto chicken pasta salad or classic pasta salad.
Marinade: Vinaigrette makes a great marinade on baked or grilled chicken. Yum!
How do you store homemade vinaigrette?
Store vinaigrette in a mason jar in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, however don’t forget to shake well before using!
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard , optional
S&P, to taste
- Combine the oil, vinegar, honey and mustard in a mason jar. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Shake to combine.
- Serve over your favorite tossed salad. This dressing stays fresh in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Shake well before serving.