Easy oven roasted sweet potatoes made with just 5 simple ingredients. Perfectly crispy and caramelized with amazing flavor!
I’m going to be honest, I used to not love sweet potatoes, but now I’m obsessed! Whether it’s this recipe, baked sweet potato fries, sweet potato casserole or savory scalloped sweet potatoes, they are all so delicious!
These oven roasted sweet potatoes make the perfect side dish for any meal. Every January I do a Whole30 and these are on repeat every week. Not only are they healthy, but they’re perfectly crispy and caramelized.
What I love about roasting vegetables in the oven is that it pulls out all of the delicious natural flavors. They are so yummy and I can literally eat them straight from the pan! We love serving them with roasted chicken, steak and eggs. They even make a great addition to Christmas dinner or side dish for Thanksgiving. So many ways to enjoy them!
Do I have to peel them?
Honestly, no you don’t have to peel them. My preference is to peel them, but if you don’t mind the skin, then feel free to leave it on. I would just wash them well and trim off any bruised parts.
How to cut sweet potatoes
- Wash and peel the potatoes.
- Cut off the ends and then slice into 3 large pieces or 1/2 inch rounds.
- Cut each piece into 1/2 inch cubes.
Do you need to parboil them before roasting?
No need to parboil them before roasting! When you bake the potatoes, they get nice and tender without any parboiling. They are also roasted at a high heat, making them perfectly crispy and cooked through in just 30 minutes.
I like to keep it simple when adding the seasoning. Below is my go-to combination, however I’ve also listed other sweet and spicy versions as well.
- Favorite combination: Olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, chili powder
- Sweet version: Mix in 1-2 Tablespoons brown sugar and omit the chili powder.
- Spicy version: Add 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Other spices to use: Italian seasoning, cumin, onion powder, rosemary, etc.
How to roast sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Season the potatoes. Place on the baking sheet, then drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Bake in oven. Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Make sure to toss them halfway through so they don’t burn. You want the edges to caramelize to bring out the flavor. Then add more seasonings to taste and serve!
- Dice them into same-sized pieces so that they’ll cook evenly in the oven.
- Spray your baking sheet so that the potatoes don’t stick to the pan.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan so the veggies roast instead of steam.
- Flip halfway through baking so that they don’t burn.
Favorite ways to serve them
- Alongside main dishes like grilled chicken, pork tenderloin or turkey meatloaf
- On top of a taco salad
- For breakfast with an omelette or scrambled eggs
- Mixed in a taco bowl
- As a snack with homemade fry sauce
More easy veggie recipes:
- Oven roasted vegetables
- Candied yams
- Grilled sweet potatoes
- Roasted potatoes and carrots
- Maple roasted vegetables
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Then sprinkle with salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Bake for 30 minutes, tossing half way through. Add more seasonings to taste.