Easy oven roasted sweet potatoes made with just 5 simple ingredients. Perfectly crispy and caramelized with amazing flavor!
Table of Contents
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
I’m going to be honest, I used to not love sweet potatoes, but now I’m obsessed! Whether it’s this recipe, baked sweet potato fries, sweet potato casserole or savory scalloped sweet potatoes, they are all so delicious!
These oven roasted sweet potatoes make the perfect side dish for any meal. Every January I do a Whole30 and these are on repeat every week. Not only are they healthy, but they’re perfectly crispy and caramelized.
What I love about roasting vegetables in the oven is that it pulls out all of the delicious natural flavors. They are so yummy and I can literally eat them straight from the pan! We love serving them with roasted chicken, steak and eggs. They even make a great addition to Christmas dinner or side dish for Thanksgiving. So many ways to enjoy them!
This sweet potato recipe comes together in a flash and is a side everyone in the family will love.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Sweet potatoes: The main attraction of this dish. I like to peel the potatoes, but you can leave the peels on, if you prefer.
- Olive oil: This gives something for the seasoning to stick to, adds flavor, and helps the potatoes caramelize a bit.
- Seasonings: You can play around with seasoning, but my standard is salt, pepper and chili powder.
I like to keep it simple when adding the seasoning. Below is my go-to combination, however I’ve also listed other sweet and spicy versions as well.
- Favorite combination: Olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, chili powder
- Sweet version: Mix in 1-2 Tablespoons brown sugar and omit the chili powder.
- Spicy version: Add 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Fresh herbs: Try adding finely chopped thyme, rosemary, or sage.
- Other spices to use: Italian seasoning, cumin, onion powder, rosemary, etc.
How to Cut Sweet Potatoes
- Wash and peel the potatoes.
- Cut off the ends and then slice into 3 large pieces or 1/2 inch rounds.
- Cut each piece into 1/2 inch cubes.
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Season the potatoes. Place on the baking sheet, then drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Bake in oven. Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Make sure to toss them halfway through so they don’t burn. You want the edges to caramelize to bring out the flavor. Then add more seasonings to taste and serve!
- Dice them into same-sized pieces so that they’ll cook evenly in the oven.
- Spray your baking sheet so that the potatoes don’t stick to the pan.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan so the veggies roast instead of steam.
- Flip halfway through baking so that they don’t burn.
Air Fryer Method
If you love the air fryer as much as I do, you’ll be happy to know that you can make roasted air fryer sweet potato cubes that taste equally as delicious! Simply roast in the air fryer at 400°F for about 13 to 15 minutes.
Favorite Ways to Serve Them
- Alongside main dishes like grilled chicken, pork tenderloin or turkey meatloaf
- On top of a sweet potato salad or taco salad
- For breakfast with an omelette or scrambled eggs
- Mixed in a taco bowl
- As a snack with homemade fry sauce
- On top of a buddha bowl
Honestly, no you don’t have to peel them. My preference is to peel them, but if you don’t mind the skin, then feel free to leave it on. I would just wash them well and trim off any bruised parts.
No need to parboil them before roasting! When you bake the potatoes, they get nice and tender without any parboiling. They are also roasted at a high heat, making them perfectly crispy and cooked through in just 30 minutes.
Can’t get enough sweet potatoes? Try these Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes for an easy weeknight side or holiday dish!
More Easy Veggie Recipes
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes , peeled and cubed (4-5 cups)
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt , plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper , plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder , plus more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- Bake 30 minutes, tossing halfway through. Add more seasoning, if needed.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!