Easy Shredded Chicken made in the Crock Pot or Instant Pot- One of the most simple, versatile & tasty recipes out there! Perfect to put on salads, tacos, nachos…you name it! Doesn’t get any easier than this!
Shredded Chicken Recipe
This crockpot shredded chicken is seriously so perfect for when you need to quickly throw a meal together. What I love about this shredded chicken recipe is that it’s SO versatile and can be added to just about anything. Make shredded chicken tacos or nachos, add to a salad, create a homemade burrito bowl or even put on top of a baked potato. So many yummy ways to use up this crockpot shredded chicken! We make this shredded chicken recipe at least once a month and even my picky kids love it!
This shredded chicken recipe can be made several different ways, which is super convenient depending on what you’ve got going on. My favorite way to cook the shredded chicken is in the crockpot, but it can easily be cooked in the instant pot or even in the oven. Follow the simple instructions below to make the instant pot shredded chicken.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Add all of the ingredients to the instant pot.
- Secure the lid and close the pressure valve (make sure it’s set to sealing).
- Cook for 17 minutes on high pressure.
- Allow to count down for 5 minutes and then do a quick release pressure.
How to Shred Chicken
- The most common way is to place one fork in the chicken breast and use another fork to pull the chicken away.
- Another quick way to shred chicken is to place the chicken in your stand mixer and turn it to low until shredded.
- You can also place it in a large bowl and use a hand mixer.
Freezing Cooked Chicken
This crockpot shredded chicken also freezes really well. I usually end up freezing about half of the recipe for another busy or rainy day. To freeze the shredded chicken recipe, follow the simple steps below.
- Allow chicken to cool.
- Place chicken in a zip top bag. Label with amount of chicken and the date you are putting it in the freezer.
- Place crockpot shredded chicken in freezer for up to 2 to 3 months.
- When ready to thaw, place in the refrigerator overnight. You can also run under warm water. Reheat on the stove top or microwave.
Check out my favorite ways to use this crockpot shredded chicken:
- Tacos (I like to melt cheese on corn tortillas & then add chicken, pico de gallo and guacamole)
- Nachos (I like to line a sheet pan with tortilla chips and top with cheese and chicken. Then bake at 350°F for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and add your favorite toppings)
- Salads (I love this chicken taco salad)
- Enchiladas (Can’t go wrong with these green chile enchiladas or creamy chicken enchiladas)
- Soups (My favorite go-to is chicken tortilla soup)
Shredded Chicken Recipe
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 pounds)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 (1-ounce) packet ranch seasoning (I used Hidden Valley)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt & Pepper , to taste
- Place the chicken breast in the crock pot and pour the chicken broth over the top. Add the garlic, ranch powder, chili powder and cumin on top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until the meat easily shreds with a fork.
- Shred the chicken and remove extra fat. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir in the lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the slow cooker to warm until ready to serve.