Cucumber Tomato Salad – This Family Favorite is Fresh & Full of Flavor! Makes the Perfect Light & Healthy Side Dish for Summer!
Potlucks salads are one of my favorite things to bring to a BBQ. They’re easy, quick and always loved by all. This cucumber tomato salad is a favorite, as well as broccoli salad with bacon, pasta salad, macaroni salad and potato salad.
Tomato cucumber salad
Summer time is right around the corner and you better believe this easy tomato cucumber salad will be making an appearance in my kitchen on a regular basis! Topped with a yummy homemade vinaigrette and feta cheese, this cucumber tomato salad recipe is packed with a punch of flavor and filled with lots of veggies!
One of my favorite parts about summer is growing my own garden. I love to plant my own fresh herbs and vegetables, especially cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and parsley. This recipe is a great way to use up our fresh produce and incorporates lots of cucumbers, which are my kids’ favorite vegetable. WIN!
It also saves really well…just refrigerate and let the flavors marinate together even more. Great for leftovers the next day. So easy and yummy!
Another great thing about this tomato cucumber salad is that it’s SO versatile! Add in sliced olives, chickpeas or pine nuts to give it more of a Greek spin, or even some pasta or chicken to serve as a main course!
You can also substitute the herbs depending on what you have in your fridge or garden, such as adding in basil instead of parsley. This is a family staple and is sure to become a hit in your household!
What you’ll need:
- Cucumbers: I like to quarter mine with a pairing knife (photo above). I also peel some skin off, but not all.
- Tomatoes: Grape tomatoes are my favorite to use, but any type would be delicious.
- Red onion: I love adding in some chopped red onion for more flavor.
- Parsley: Fresh chopped parsley or basil works perfectly. Dill also tastes great too.
- Feta: Don’t forget the cheese! Add in about 1-2 ounces crumbled feta cheese.
- Dressing: Make a simple dressing with olive oil, vinegar and dried oregano.
- Optional extras: Feel free to add in extras like sliced avocado, chickpeas, olives or pine nuts.
How to make cucumber tomato salad
This cucumber salad recipe is super easy and comes together so quickly! To get started, follow the simple steps below.
Make the dressing. For the homemade vinaigrette, all you need is olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano and salt & pepper, which you probably already have in your pantry. Whisk them together in a small bowl and set aside.
Combine ingredients. Add chopped veggies, herbs & feta to a large bowl and pour vinaigrette on top. Mix together until coated.
Chill and serve. Refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving and BOOM, you’re ready!
To store cucumber tomato salad, simply place in airtight container and keep in fridge for up to 3 days.
If you’d like to make it ahead of time (such as the night before), I’d recommend chopping the veggies and making the dressing beforehand. Then on the day of serving, mix together the veggies and dressing and chill until ready to enjoy.
More summer salad recipes:
- Caprese Salad
- Greek Salad
- Corn and Tomato Salad
- Orzo Salad with Vinaigrette
- Tortellini Italian Pasta Salad
- Mandarin Orange Salad
Tomato Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cucumbers , quartered
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes , halved
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 Tablespoons chopped parsley (or basil)
- 1-2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- S&P, to taste
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and oregano in a small bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Combine the cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, parsley and feta in a medium-sized bowl. Then pour the vinaigrette over the top and toss until combined. Add more feta, parsley and S&P to taste. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Feel free to add in 1/4 cup sliced olives and 1/2 cup chickpeas to turn into a cucumber Greek salad.
- To store: Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- To make ahead: Chop veggies and make dressing, then refrigerate. When ready to serve, mix together and chill at least 15 minutes prior to enjoying.