This homemade butterbeer is a creamy butterscotch-flavored float inspired by Harry Potter! It’s the perfect frozen drink to cool off with this summer.
Table of Contents
Harry Potter Butterbeer
Earlier this year, we visited Universal Orlando. We absolutely loved Harry Potter World. I loved the whole atmosphere in Harry Potter World. My husband is a big Harry Potter fan so he was excited to go on all the rides. I could have stayed there all day and just shopped while sipping butterbeer of course.
The frozen version of Butterbeer was my favorite. It’s hard to describe how amazing it is while walking around the park, so of course I had to re-create this delicious treat at home for all of you wizards and muggles to make. If you like butterscotch flavoring, you will LOVE this frozen butterbeer recipe. It tastes like a butterscotch creamsicle.
Ingredients for Easy Butterbeer
With only four ingredients combined this popular butter beer mixture comes together in one blender. It is a smooth and creamy drink that is similar to a milkshake. Homemade butterbeer recipe is perfect for harry potter birthday parties, Halloween, or just for fun!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Vanilla ice cream: Either store-bought vanilla ice cream or homemade ice cream works great!
- Butterscotch sauce or topping: This is a sweet topping that is smooth and creamy.
- Cream soda: Add a sweet and savory drink that will give it a frothy and fizzy texture and flavor.
- Ice: Crushed or cubed ice works great.
How to Make Frozen Butterbeer
Simply add in all your ingredients and blend them together. It is an easy drink recipe that is so fun to make and great year-round. This Harry Potter frozen drink is just what you need for your next night in!
- Add ingredients. Place all ingredients in a large blender.
- Blend. Blend together until smooth. If needed, add more ice to create desired consistency.
- Taste test. Taste and add more butterscotch or a splash of vanilla extract if desired.
5 star review
“OMG! I made this being the big Harry Potter fan I am, and it blew my mind! It was absolutely amazing!”-Rorie R
Serving Tips for the Best Homemade Butterbeer
Now for the fun part: serving the butterbeer! We served ours in these tall, glass mugs with a fun striped straw. Below are some helpful tips to consider before serving:
- Keep it cold. Serve in cold glasses so the butterbeer doesn’t melt too fast. I stick mine in the freezer about 10 minutes prior to serving.
- Decorate. For a fun look, try drizzling more butterscotch into the glass before pouring the drink in.
- Frothy top! If you’d like to recreate the frothy top, add some whipped cream and butterscotch syrup on top for a whipped topping appearance.
- Add in more flavor. You can even add a Tablespoon of butterscotch to the whipped cream for more delicious flavor.
Butterbeer is made up of butterscotch, sugar, and water. It has a butterscotch taste to it.
Frozen butterbeer tastes like cream soda and butterscotch together. It is a sweet and savory flavor with a frothy topping. There is no alcohol in this drink.
You can always modify the drink to your liking but the original butterbeer does not have rootbeer and does not taste like rootbeer. It is more of a butterscotch and toffee flavor and taste. Butterbeer has a smooth and creamy texture similar to a rootbeer float.
The famous butterbeer is known in J.K Rowling’s book, Harry Potter. It is a drink that is served at the Three Broomsticks, Hog’s Head, and The Leaky Cauldron. Butterbeer is described in the book as a less-sickly butterscotch. Harry Potter butterbeer recipe is served cold.
Do you love butterscotch in your recipes?! Then you will love these oatmeal butterscotch cookies, butterscotch cookies, or these butterscotch pudding cookies that go perfectly when watching a Harry Potter movie marathon!
For More Frozen Treats, Check Out
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- ½ quart vanilla ice cream
- 2-3 Tablespoons butterscotch syrup or topping , more to taste
- 12 ounces cream soda
- ¼ cup ice , more as needed
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon butter extract, whipped cream for topping
- Place ice cream, ice, butterscotch and cream soda in a blender. Mix just until combined. Add more ice as need to create desired consistency. Add a splash of vanilla and more butterscotch if desired.
- Serve in cold glasses. You can drizzle butterscotch into the glass before pouring the drink in for a fun look. Then pour frozen butterbeer in and top with whipped cream and extra butterscotch if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
This is such a yummy homemade butterbeer recipe. Great for Harry Potter-themed movie nights. I love how super simple it is to make.
Best Butterbeer around! My kiddos preferred this recipe over The Wizarding World in Florida! I am so happy that this is my new family’s obsession!
My favorite butterbeer recipe of all time! So easy and so delicious.
So happy to hear that! Thanks for your comment, Mandy :)
idk how much of everything
Hi Renee, if you click the “jump to recipe” button at the top of the page, it will lead you to the recipe card with the specific measurements that are needed.
I always wondered how butterbeer tastes when I read the book. So I tried this recipe, and the result is absolutely stunning. I love it so much!
I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed it! :)
It was amazing. I made it over at my Son’s house for the Grandkids it was a huge success.
I’m so glad to hear it was a big success! :)
OMG! I made this being the big Harry Potter fan I am, and it blew my mind! It was absolutely amazing!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it!! :)