Experience the wizarding world of Harry Potter by making this easy homemade butterbeer recipe for a delicious butterscotch drink.
Table of Contents
Harry Potter Butterbeer
Earlier this year, we visited Universal Orlando. We absolutely loved Harry Potter World. I could have stayed there all day and just shopped while sipping butterbeer of course.
The frozen version of Butterbeer was my favorite. It’s hard to describe how amazing it is while walking around the park, so of course I had to re-create this delicious treat at home for all of you wizards and muggles to make.
Make the popular butterscotch-flavored butterbeer from Harry Potter at home with this easy recipe. If you like butterscotch flavoring, you will LOVE this frozen butterbeer recipe. It tastes like a butterscotch creamsicle.
Ingredients for Easy Butterbeer
With only four ingredients combined this popular butter beer mixture comes together in one blender. It is a smooth and creamy drink that is similar to a milkshake. Homemade butterbeer recipe is perfect for harry potter birthday parties, Halloween, or just for fun!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Vanilla ice cream: Either store-bought vanilla ice cream or homemade ice cream works great!
- Butterscotch sauce or topping: This is a sweet topping that is smooth and creamy.
- Cream soda: Add a sweet and savory drink that will give it a frothy and fizzy texture and flavor.
- Ice: Crushed or cubed ice works great.
How to Make Frozen Butterbeer
Simply add in all your ingredients and blend them together. It is an easy drink recipe that is so fun to make and great year-round. This Harry Potter frozen drink is just what you need for your next night in!
- Add ingredients. Place all ingredients in a large blender.
- Blend. Blend together until smooth. If needed, add more ice to create desired consistency.
- Taste test. Taste and add more butterscotch or a splash of vanilla extract if desired.
5 star review
“OMG! I made this being the big Harry Potter fan I am, and it blew my mind! It was absolutely amazing!”-Rorie R
Serving Tips for the Best Homemade Butterbeer
Now for the fun part: serving the butterbeer! We served ours in these tall, glass mugs with a fun striped straw. Below are some helpful tips to consider before serving:
- Keep it cold. Serve in cold glasses so the butterbeer doesn’t melt too fast. I stick mine in the freezer about 10 minutes prior to serving.
- Decorate. For a fun look, try drizzling more butterscotch into the glass before pouring the drink in.
- Frothy top! If you’d like to recreate the frothy top, add some whipped cream and butterscotch syrup on top for a whipped topping appearance.
- Add in more flavor. You can even add a Tablespoon of butterscotch to the whipped cream for more delicious flavor.
Butterbeer is made up of butterscotch, sugar, and water. It has a butterscotch taste to it.
Frozen butterbeer tastes like cream soda and butterscotch together. It is a sweet and savory flavor with a frothy topping. There is no alcohol in this drink.
You can always modify the drink to your liking but the original butterbeer does not have rootbeer and does not taste like rootbeer. It is more of a butterscotch and toffee flavor and taste. Butterbeer has a smooth and creamy texture similar to a rootbeer float.
The famous butterbeer is known in J.K Rowling’s book, Harry Potter. It is a drink that is served at the Three Broomsticks, Hog’s Head, and The Leaky Cauldron. Butterbeer is described in the book as a less-sickly butterscotch. Harry Potter butterbeer recipe is served cold.
For More Frozen Treats, Check Out
- ½ quart vanilla ice cream
- 2-3 Tablespoons butterscotch syrup or topping , more to taste
- 12 ounces cream soda
- ¼ cup ice , more as needed
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon butter extract, whipped cream for topping
- Place ice cream, ice, butterscotch and cream soda in a blender. Mix just until combined. Add more ice as need to create desired consistency. Add a splash of vanilla and more butterscotch if desired.
- Serve in cold glasses. You can drizzle butterscotch into the glass before pouring the drink in for a fun look. Then pour frozen butterbeer in and top with whipped cream and extra butterscotch if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!