Whip up a batch of homemade Chex mix just in time to settle in for movie night! Make a big bowl of this salty, savory, crunchy snack for everyone to share, and grab yourself a handful!
Best Homemade Chex Mix
I make this homemade Chex mix recipe anytime I’m craving something salty, savory, and crunchy, and lucky for me, this recipe chex all the boxes! It’s made with Chex cereal, pretzels, and nuts, coated in a salty and savory mixture then baked until crispy and irresistible!
It’s one of the most requested food snacks my kids ask for when they’re having sleepovers, parties, or movie nights. It makes a big batch so there’s usually tons left for lunchboxes the next day. I’ve made it in both the oven and slow cooker but I do tend to use the oven when I want that extra bit of crunch.
This homemade version is so much better than a store-bought bag. Not only is it much more cost-effective with more control over what’s in it, but when you make your own, there’s never that disappointment of hitting the bottom of the bag. When you reach the bottom of the bowl, you just whip up another batch!
How to Make Homemade Chex Mix
- Prepare: Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. We need low heat so the cereal and nuts don’t burn.
- Combine: Mix the Chex, pretzels, and nuts in a large bowl and set aside.
- Melt: Melt butter in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl then add the Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Mix to combine.
- Toss: Pour half of the butter mixture over the Chex mix and stir. Then drizzle the remaining butter topping over top and give it another stir making sure everything is combined.
- Pour: Transfer the entire mix to a jelly roll pan by dumping it out and spreading it into an even layer.
- Bake: Bake for 45-60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool before enjoying.
- For easier cleanup, line the jelly roll pan with parchment paper or foil paper.
- To make this in the slow cooker dump all of the ingredients into the crockpot and set it for 3 hours on low. Stir every hour.
- The original Chex mix recipe is my favorite but there are many ways to jazz it up or switch it up for a change!
Try Adding Some of These!
- Goldfish crackers
- Crispix cereal
- Smoked paprika
- Bagel chips
- Regular potato chips
- Corn chips
How Long Does Homemade Chex Mix Last?
This will last up to about 1 week, which is great if you’ve made a big batch. A week’s worth of snacks for the win!
Store it in a brown paper bag or airtight container and have easy access to it anytime you want.
More Easy Party Mixes:
Homemade Chex Mix
- 4 cups Rice Chex , or corn chex
- 3 cups whole wheat Chex
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 1-2 cups mixed nuts
- ½ cup salted butter , 1 stick
- 3-4 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons seasoned salt , such as Lawry's
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Combine the Chex, pretzels and nuts in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a medium size bowl. Then mix in the Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Pour half of the sauce over the Chex and stir. Then drizzle the remainder of the butter topping over top and stir until well combined.
- Dump the Chex onto a jelly roll pan and then bake for 45-60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!